Most disturbing tragedy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
Forum Member
For me,has to be the Ukraine air disaster 10 years ago,911 and the Cromwell street murders :(

Comments

• LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Hillsborough, 9/11, boxing day tsunami.........the holocaust :cry:
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    400 years of slavery.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the above.
    Plus the Bradford football club fire sticks in my mind, because I can remember watching it live on TV. A tiny little fire that spread so quickly.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the Aberfan disaster has to be pretty high up:
    The Aberfan disaster was a catastrophic collapse of a colliery spoil tip in the Welsh village of Aberfan, near Merthyr Tydfil, on 21 October 1966, killing 116 children and 28 adults. It was caused by a build-up of water in the accumulated rock and shale, which suddenly started to slide downhill in the form of slurry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the ones mentioned

Also this missing plane is quite disturbing, mostly because no one knows what happened to it. all those people missing and no clue what happened to them
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Dunblane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beslan school hostages crisis, 2004.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonestown.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Waitrose running out of foccaccia near a bank holiday.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you mean disturbing ?

all those mentioned are tragedies caused by terrorism, natural, and or unintentional human error.

for me, it's one ordinary human making a small error that , in 99 out of 100 times would be of little consequence, like Quintinshill, a signaller forgot to do a routine thing he did dozens of times a day but this time it led to 200 deaths.
    Same with the Tenerife tragedy, a pilot , in a tired and grumpy mood, misunderstands a message from traffic control as permission to take off.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    how do you mean disturbing ?

all those mentioned are tragedies caused by terrorism, natural, and or unintentional human error.

for me, it's one ordinary human making a small error that , in 99 out of 100 times would be of little consequence, like Quintinshill, a signaller forgot to do a routine thing he did dozens of times a day but this time it led to 200 deaths.
    Same with the Tenerife tragedy, a pilot , in a tired and grumpy mood, misunderstands a message from traffic control as permission to take off.

Dunno, mine was more tragedy in the Shakespearian sense.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the Aberfan disaster has to be pretty high up:
    The Aberfan disaster was a catastrophic collapse of a colliery spoil tip in the Welsh village of Aberfan, near Merthyr Tydfil, on 21 October 1966, killing 116 children and 28 adults. It was caused by a build-up of water in the accumulated rock and shale, which suddenly started to slide downhill in the form of slurry.

^ This is the one that sprung to mind when I saw the thread title. I remember it being discussed on here a while ago and it actually upset me quite a bit.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    RMS Titanic, Lusitania, Herald of Free Enterprise, British Airways Staines and Zagreb. Only today a ferry sinks with the loss of many lives.

There are an awful lot of tragedies that don't appear on TV with a disturbing scenes warning and keeping the lawyers in business for years to come.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Lucas and the three prequels.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Plus the Bradford football club fire sticks in my mind, because I can remember watching it live on TV. A tiny little fire that spread so quickly.

Bradford City fire for me without any doubt. Not only because it happened just up the road, but because so many of my friends were/are Bradford City fans and were at the game. I also know John Helm, the commentator who was covering the game as he used to work at a sister newspaper to the one I worked for and I don't think the horror of that day has ever left him.

I remember going to my friend's house after we finished our paper round and putting the TV on to check the scores, only to see the live TV coverage. I'm glad ITV decided to never air the footage again, although it is still all over the internet.

Dunblane also holds a personal memory for me as my then boyfriend's sister lived in the town, her kids were at the primary school and her husband was a police inspector in the area. In the days of no internet, finding out her daughters were okay took me calling in an awful lot of journalistic favours.

I also had friends involved in 9/11 so it's always the ones with a personal connection which resonate with me, even though there have been dozens of similar tragedies, including those mentioned here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunblane, Sandyhook, Hillsborough , Columbine take your pick .

Evil .

The recent terrorist knife attack in a Chinese train station was rather horrific and disturbing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........You starting this thread .
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Soweto
    Hillsborough as I am from Sheffield and have been in the kop
    911 - 7/7 - I looked after some of the victims of the latter at work, and as mobile networks were down had no idea if my own loved ones were ok til the evening
    Tianemen Square
    Lockerbie
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Hillsborough as I am from Sheffield and have been in the kop

:confused:

Err....the kop isn't at Hillsborough. It's at Liverpool's ground, Anfield.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Waitrose running out of foccaccia near a bank holiday.

A truly tragic event. :(
    Forum Member
    :confused:

Err....the kop isn't at Hillsborough. It's at Liverpool's ground, Anfield.

Leppings laner end was colloquially known as the kop in Sheffield

when I posted that I was pretty sure in my head it was anyway

aye the spion kop

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/stadia/top_kops.htm
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Dunblane, as it was not a tragic accident, or a act of terrorism, it was one man who murdered all those children and the adult for no reason (with acts of terrorism, I dont agree with their reasons/beliefs but there is at least a 'reason')
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Leppings laner end was colloquially known as the kop in Sheffield

when I posted that I was pretty sure in my head it was anyway

aye the spion kop

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/stadia/top_kops.htm

Fair do's. :)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aberfan. I was too young to be allowed to watch the news but heard adults talk about it, and years later had a teacher whose friend had taught there who told us all about it. Something very haunting about the whole idea of it.
    Forum Member
    I find Dunblane, as it was not a tragic accident, or a act of terrorism, it was one man who murdered all those children and the adult for no reason (with acts of terrorism, I dont agree with their reasons/beliefs but there is at least a 'reason')

I find the Anders Brevik thing disturbing in the same vein