Options

Acceptance Of Gay Family Members

Comments

• Options
    tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    How can you be sure you've only worked with one homosexual during your career?

I would say i am pretty sure for the folks I worked with closely.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    How can you be sure you've only worked with one homosexual during your career?

They probably can't - they probably knew of one "out" gay person, whereas a lot of people aren't out at work, or don't make any mention of their sexuality which then makes everyone assume they're heterosexual.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I first realsied I was gay when I was about 12/13 (1973). Not good! I kept quiet until I was about 24 (1984ish) and felt like finally admitting it. I was by then working in a bar that was quite 'gay friendly', so I got to know a few people. Then the AIDS thing was blasted all over the media/TV etc. I kept quiet again - as we 'gays' were to blame for it all (:eek::mad:). Finally in about 1994, I moved in with my fourth flatmate (as if that wasn't enough of a hint!) and told my friends and family that we were 'together'. Response? :-

"Well we've thought it all along - we were just waiting for you to tell us!"

What relief, after all that time. :)

As for 21st Century opinions - all I can say is it is much easier now than 20/30 years ago. There are still some homo-phobes around, but just ignore the tossers - after all SOME of them are in denial:rolleyes:.
    Failing that, kick 'em where it hurts!!
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    They probably can't - they probably knew of one "out" gay person, whereas a lot of people aren't out at work, or don't make any mention of their sexuality which then makes everyone assume they're heterosexual.

LOL I have never met an 'out' person! none in my family either, and I have a massive family. Ive never worked with one.
    they live in the city and the in ones I know here are married.
    my mum knows an 'out' one, and he is the talk of the town. If he walks down the street people are talking the whole way, same with a black person.
    I know this for a fact as a black guy came to do some engineering work and by the time he turned the corner my mum was on the phone to her neighbour.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I live in London and love the anonymity the place gives me when I want it, and the fact that whatever you're into, whatever community you decide you want to belong to you can pretty much find it in London.

To digress, erm, completely, a guy I know is part of a band that plays a lot of gay clubs and he just emailed me a bunch of pic's from the Magic Theatre Halloween bash in London.

Christ, that looks like it was great fun.
    Seems like a lot of people really making an effort to have a terrific time rather than just shambling down to the local boozer, getting plastered and then getting into a fight and throwing up on the way home.

I'm actually rather envious. ;)
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's often the case. People like to pose as such tolerant, liberal-minded individuals but it's frequently another matter when it turns up on your own door step. It's why I never take all the professions of liberality that appear on DS seriously. It's easy to spout liberal, open-minded views from the safety of your PC. It's another matter when you're standing face-to-face with it.

This happened to a friend of mine when her daughter told her she was gay, a more liberal woman (apparently) i have ever known. She did however fairly quickly come round to it but did discuss it at a lot of length with me, It shocked her that she was shocked iykwim.

On the percentages thing when I was doing nurse training in the 60s we had male nurses training (not every hospital did this) and more than 5-10 % were gay, certainly not all though as myth might have it. Wonder if this still is the case.? No one appeared to give a jot way back then.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;46916330']Sorry I didn't mean to offend.

Do you think people can tell if someone is gay though? I mean I can't generally :o 70%-80% of the guys I've asked out in rl have been gay so that kind of proves my point.. but do you think it's obvious in some people and isn't in others? Like lesbians sometimes people can tell they are by the way they dress, but not always. It's just whenever I make a comment that I can tell if some people are gay then there's a massive backlash. Like in movies if someone is gay in rl (not just playing a gay character) i can just say 'he's gay', google it and realise I'm right. Again I don't mean to offend here, just curious and being honest.

i would say 50 per cent of tghe time you can tell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Why is the fact it's the 21st century mean we must all "accept" homosexuals? Because it's the 21st century should we now abandon all morals? What will be groovy to accept in the 22nd century?

DD

What does someone being homosexual have to do with morality?.

A gay man or woman can share the same morals and values as any straight person. Likewise a gay man or woman can be just as immoral as any straight person.

Bit of a bigoted and daft statement there don't you think?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What does someone being homosexual have to do with morality?.

A gay man or woman can share the same morals and values as any straight person. Likewise a gay man or woman can be just as immoral as any straight person.

Bit of a bigoted and daft statement there don't you think?.

Probably selective "Christianity" - no problems with women menstruating, the wearing of mixed fibres or the eating of shellfish, but a problem with man lying with man... That's usually how it goes.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I know this for a fact as a black guy came to do some engineering work and by the time he turned the corner my mum was on the phone to her neighbour.

Where on earth do you live? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Probably selective "Christianity" - no problems with women menstruating, the wearing of mixed fibres or the eating of shellfish, but a problem with man lying with man... That's usually how it goes.
    It is well known how christians love to hypocritically cherry-pick, according to their prejudice. Their motto after all is "Fac quod dico, non quod facio".

Of course it isn't like they have the right to be moral judges with the monster they worship and that bloody awful holy book they subscribe to full of hate and bigotry.
  • Options
    currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    currysock's sons sound made up. High flying careers, university educated yet still living at home with their Dad. They apparently like fisticuffs yet have never been in trouble with the police.

Yep. They sound like real people.

Where did I say they live at home?

They have their own houses.

Typical diversionary tactics.

Of course,everyone who's had a fight has a criminal record.:rolleyes:

I'm proud of my boys and because of how they were brought up there was never any chance of them being anything but heterosexual.

I wish I could have had a daughter in whom I would have instilled the same moral values.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    currysocks wrote: »

I'm proud of my boys and because of how they were brought up there was never any chance of them being anything but heterosexual.

I wish I could have had a daughter in whom I would have instilled the same moral values.

Hmmm :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    ...because of how they were brought up there was never any chance of them being anything but heterosexual.

Surely nobody is really this ignorant? :confused:
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here, maybe?
    Not acceptable in my family.

Their suitcase on the doorstep if ever either of my two came out as gay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    Here, maybe?

Ah, come on. Did you really think he'd come back saying they lived at home... I didn't.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came out properly when I was 18, no-one was particularly bothered. Very annoying! :p

My uncle was a bit funny though, he doesn't really 'get it'. One of my friends works with him, and told me a few things he'd said about me, wasn't too impressed. My sister went mental about it, that was sweet :)

I'm not entirely sure if my Dad knows to be honest, all my family on his side do because of the wonders of Facebook, but I don't speak to him much. I haven't told him anyway, don't really feel the need to have some big conversation about it when he may as well live in Germany for the amount I see him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the fact it's the 21st century mean we must all "accept" homosexuals? Because it's the 21st century should we now abandon all morals? What will be groovy to accept in the 22nd century?

DD

Hey Dave the rave, Austin Powers was into free love. Put that in your pink pipe and smoke it.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where on earth do you live? :confused:

West Cumbria. It's really like that I am not exaggerating.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think its good your children have done you proud, but there was never any chance that you had anything to do with them being heterosexual - they are just that way, just as gay people are just gay. It just happens. Parents don't control their children's sexuality.
  • Options
    currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here, maybe?

Nice spot but they occasionally stay over during holiday periods
    and this is always their home as far as I'm concerned.

No need of suitcases on the step for my boys.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice spot but they occasionally stay over during holiday periods
    and this is always their home as far as I'm concerned.

No need of suitcases on the step for my boys.:)

I still don't understand why you would throw your children out if you found out they were gay - what would that do? Nothing. Would it change anything? No.
  • Options
    Grim RitaGrim Rita Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dumb post.
  • Options
    sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grim Rita wrote: »
    Dumb post.

I actually laughed when I read it. :) Can anyone be so stupid.

I think he should get off the gay threads and go do something heterosexual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came out about 15-16, after the initial "Are you joking?" no one cared.
    That was about 16+ years ago now.
    Not that interesting a story I know.