Doc Martin (Part 11 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    ggo85 wrote: »
    I wonder how much influence MC has or doesn't have. I realize that with BP controlling production, the potential is there. But, actors and producers also realize that writers are paid for a reason.

So, it is general direction -- i.e., keep him grumpy and don't let there be too much romance b/t LG and DM? Or more specific, almost to the plot level?

I guess what I'm asking is whether we're right to lay things at the feet of MC and/or PB.
    We're right. MC has made that pretty clear from several interviews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Has this series had less 'enjoyment factor' than the previous four do you think?
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Han96 wrote: »
    OMG, That would be awful! I didn't even think that was a good end to an episode, never ming a series! Don't do that BP!

Agree that the ending to W&M was awful! Great series where the "too sweet" ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

As for DM, IMO it's really hard for writers to craft an ending that they aren't sure is the end or just a continuation. I would say that the ending of S4 was largely perfect in that regard . . . it provided a form of an ending that was satisfying but also could easily be continued . . . as it was.
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    MrsWindy1 wrote: »
    We're right. MC has made that pretty clear from several interviews.

Then, while I might submit that too much control is a bad thing, the numbers (in terms of viewing audience) speak for themselves.

Several years ago in connection with a US show, one of the producers actually visited a forum like this one and briefly interacted with members. He made the point that, to be commercially successful, any show must appeal to the masses. He noted that people who frequent these types of boards may be the most interested and/or fervent, but that these views don't necessarily match those of the casual viewer who is supporting the show.

Also, given that the key advertising demographic is 18-45 yr olds -- and especially males in that age group (at least in the US), shows generally try to attract those viewers. If things work the same in England, I can definitely see why they want to keep DM a strong, difficult character with only flashes of romance. I would think that makes him -- and the show -- more appealing to a younger, male audience, which doesn't appear to be the core constituency of this forum.;)

Given that DM got the green light for a S5, which in turn is doing very well . . . perhaps MC/PB/BP know exactly what they're doing. We may not always like it, but the folks who pay the bills apparently do.:rolleyes:
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alestorm wrote: »
    Has this series had less 'enjoyment factor' than the previous four do you think?

I've just rewatched (ok, skimmed through) the first 3 episodes and I must say, they are better than I had thought at first watching. Once you get past the disappointment that the "romance" we hoped for, wasn't there in the usual way it has been in the past (still miss that love theme music), I think it is quite enjoyable, and the acting is uniformly good and MC and CC are great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I think I might be stupid for not realising this, but did anyone realise Ben Bolt also directs Downton Abbey!!???
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I've just rewatched (ok, skimmed through) the first 3 episodes and I must say, they are better than I had thought at first watching. Once you get past the disappointment that the "romance" we hoped for, wasn't there in the usual way it has been in the past (still miss that love theme music), I think it is quite enjoyable, and the acting is uniformly good and MC and CC are great.

I only recall it being used twice this series and only for a few seconds. I hope they have it queued up. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I might be stupid for not realising this, but did anyone realise Ben Bolt also directs Downton Abbey!!???

Oh yes, he is a very talented man, our Ben. Also, MC is good friends with Julian Fellowes, so who knows, we could get a DM/DA crossoever :confused:;). Haha!.
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, he is a very talented man, our Ben. Also, MC is good friends with Julian Fellowes, so who knows, we could get a DM/DA crossoever :confused:;). Haha!.

Great idea. I though MC playing DM's dad had a very DA look to him. Oh the acronyms!
    Forum Member

[GASP] Oh my goodness!! That would be amazing!!! I can see a Earl of Grantham and LG thing going on there! (hmm, I spy crossover fanfic...;)) Do you know of anything else directed by Ben Bolt (who I know love even more, yes, very talented). MC and Julian Fellowed, that does seem a very unlikely friendship.:)
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just so long as DM doesn't marry Lady Mary and leave our Louisa high and dry! :eek:
    Forum Member
    I'm feeling very antsy right now. Plenty of chores to do (I'm off on Monday), but now have to wait an extra hour for comments (time change for the US is next weekend)...and I've started eyeing that Halloween candy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Is DM on Yet?
    Forum Member
    Paperchase wrote: »
    Is DM on Yey?

No, an hour and four mins till lift off
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long now. :)
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know of anything else directed by Ben Bolt

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093322/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    Can't believe it is the last episode of the series!!

I'm really looking forward to it...I've avoided reading any spoilers at all so I hope the ending is going to be a good one which fits in with the rest of the series.
    Forum Member
    kernow19 wrote: »

Oh thank you Kernow. Didn't realise he's done quite so many.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [GASP] Oh my goodness!! That would be amazing!!! I can see a Earl of Grantham and LG thing going on there! (hmm, I spy crossover fanfic...;)) Do you know of anything else directed by Ben Bolt (who I know love even more, yes, very talented). MC and Julian Fellowed, that does seem a very unlikely friendship.:)
    Just so long as DM doesn't marry Lady Mary and leave our Louisa high and dry! :eek:

I certainly think Aunt Ruth could give Violet as good as she got. ;) Doctor Clarkson could swap with Doc Martin, he'd never have got Matthews diagnosis so wrong would he ? :eek:

I think MC was pictured with JF at the charity do that Connie posted a pic of recently.
    Forum Member
    I certainly thiink Aunt Ruth could give Violet as good as she got. ;) Doctor Clarkson could swap with Doc Martin, he'd never have got Matthews diagnosis so wrong would he ? :eek:

Haha! No, never, I'm so pleased he did get it wrong though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    MrsWindy1 wrote: »
    I'm feeling very antsy right now. Plenty of chores to do (I'm off on Monday), but now have to wait an extra hour for comments (time change for the US is next weekend)...and I've started eyeing that Halloween candy.

i admire your restraint...i see piles of wrappers everywhere i look....
    Forum Member
    LOL!
    ;)
  • lost-the-plotlost-the-plot Posts: 115
    Forum Member

I've already informed hubby, save handing out the Reese's cups for last. They are so good in the freezer!

Happy viewing everyone! Hope we all get what we want in our goodie bags for the last episode!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Alestorm wrote: »

That would be a big YES for me -- I have not enjoyed this series at all. I've been mourning for a throwback to S1, 2 or 3! Very sad, waiting all this time for this kind of continuation. :(:cry::(:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much going on in here, that's great. I've been really busy & no chance to have a good read of all the posts.

Excited about this episode. Shame we have to wait the extra hr....

Just waiting now to read everyone's posts. I'll be on here for the next couple of hours so please be kind with your description on what's happening in this ep.

Bring it on....
This discussion has been closed.