Options

TV Drive-Noisy ?

Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
Forum Member
I currently use a Topfield PVR which is very quiet.
How noisy/quiet is the tv drive..does it have a fan ?

Thanks for any replies..

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brava 210 wrote:
    How noisy/quiet is the tv drive..does it have a fan ?
    I think TVDrive has quite a few fans who post on here!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    From the pictures, it doesn't have a fan
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    s1571 wrote:
    From the pictures, it doesn't have a fan
    It's going to get VERY HOT if it hasn't!
  • Options
    neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    It's going to get VERY HOT if it hasn't!

Not at all.

The main reason Sky+ boxes get hot is the HDD in them.

A lot of hard drives now run at quite cool temperatures, coupled with a lot of air vents at the top, there isnt a need for fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    It does run warm (but not very warm) but I gather that is also true of Scientific Atlanta's standard STB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know this question is not about the noise , but anyway

is the 7 day(i think its 7) tv guide, only avalible after accessing the tv guide in the "home Page"??

or can you use it on the EPG at the bottom of the screen??

thank you
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    You can use the guide on the EPG as well (8 day guide)

The box doesnt seem to be that hot, mine has been plugged in and used quite profusely for about 5 months now and works like a dream. It doesnt generate the kind of heat you would expect from one of the old Pace boxes if thats your worry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blooyonder wrote:
    You can use the guide on the EPG as well (8 day guide)

The box doesnt seem to be that hot, mine has been plugged in and used quite profusely for about 5 months now and works like a dream. It doesnt generate the kind of heat you would expect from one of the old Pace boxes if thats your worry.

Do you have TV Drive ?? if so how do you access the 8 day guide on the EPG ? is it as simple as keep pressing down on the channel your EPG is showing ?? or is their extra options on the epg ,ie press the yellow button to change day ????
  • Options
    CurlyCurly Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Do you have TV Drive ?? if so how do you access the 8 day guide on the EPG ? is it as simple as keep pressing down on the channel your EPG is showing ?? or is their extra options on the epg ,ie press the yellow button to change day ????

Not a bad guess! You press the blue button to step forward a day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is the box noisy? We seem to have estblished it isn't warm but how quiet is it? I plan on having mine in the bedroom so I'm hoping it doesn't have one of those horrible screechy hard drives like in some of the cheaper PVRs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Mine isn't noisy. You can only really hear it when you turn on after 'resting' and it's no noisier then when you boot up a PC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I used to have a digifusion 150 PVR and the constant noise from the hard drive used to drive me mad, i had to go and physically unplug it when i went to bed (I have it in my room).

I'm hoping the tvdrive isn't going to be noisy !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mines very quite, only time i here anything is as mentioned above when you first come out of resting mode and the HD boots up, other than that it's pretty much silent.

Also if you check the diagnostics screen it tells you the HD temp, mine currently runs at about 43 degs C, pretty cool for modern electronic equipment. My AV unit piles out lots more heat than that.