Options

Apple Watch

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    No not seen that. Although I've noticed it rings on the phone first then about a second later the watch starts tapping your wrist, When you look at the watch the screen comes on and shows the incoming call.

It's not working on my watch and customer phone support is useless.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone managed to buy an Apple Watch 42mm Milanese loop spare band in a UK Apple store?
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    It's not working on my watch and customer phone support is useless.

Do you have wifi calling enabled? That will prevent calls being routed to the watch like it prevents calls being routed to iPads and Macs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    Do you have wifi calling enabled? That will prevent calls being routed to the watch like it prevents calls being routed to iPads and Macs

Yes. I've just been tinkering about with the settings and that was the problem. You would think the Apple 2nd team techies would have known this. Thanks for the assistance. ;-)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slattery69 wrote: »
    given that apple have added to there support page re it id say they have an eye on it and will be hoping it doesn't become an issue.
    Though given the market there aiming the apple watch at the fashion market (all the ads magazines, fashion weeks attended ) it may become one given the amount of tattoos people have and how fashionable they have become.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexrees/40-top-models-with-fashionable-tattoos#.xce2gdlVww

time will tell they maybe able to work around it with an update

Yes, the fact itself that they published this means they are taking it seriously. It's a new product and they want it to catch on. Compare it with Jobs' 'you are holding it wrong' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Siri doesn't work very well.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    My 42mm sport space grey with black strap is arriving Tuesday.
  • Options
    Kal ElKal El Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    My 42mm sport space grey with black strap is arriving Tuesday.

Same here. Never wished a Bank Holiday weekend away so much :D
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    If the Apple watch and Fitbit Charge HR use broadly the same technology, aren't they both subject to the limitations of that technology?
    They are using the technology in different ways. As I understand it, you put an Apple Watch on your wrist and unlock it, it stays unlocked until you remove it from your wrist. It uses the Heart Rate Monitor to detect when it has been removed. If the HRM fails, even momentarily, then the watch locks itself and you have to unlock it again manually. Having to do that extra unlocking step to use it, destroys a lot of the value proposition of having it on your wrist. It's no longer as convenient, not as instantly available.

It's not such a big deal for Fitbit etc. For them it just means the record of your heart rate has a few gaps (which the software can paper over using the readings from before and after).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    They are using the technology in different ways. As I understand it, you put an Apple Watch on your wrist and unlock it, it stays unlocked until you remove it from your wrist. It uses the Heart Rate Monitor to detect when it has been removed. If the HRM fails, even momentarily, then the watch locks itself and you have to unlock it again manually. Having to do that extra unlocking step to use it, destroys a lot of the value proposition of having it on your wrist. It's no longer as convenient, not as instantly available.

It's not such a big deal for Fitbit etc. For them it just means the record of your heart rate has a few gaps (which the software can paper over using the readings from before and after).

You have the option to disable locking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the problem is that there are intermittent problems reading the pulse. Perhaps the watch could wait 20-30 seconds and keep trying before declaring itself off wrist or its wearer dead. That way even tattooed ones could benefit from the complete functionality without a need to turn anything off .
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I guess the problem is that there are intermittent problems reading the pulse. Perhaps the watch could wait 20-30 seconds and keep trying before declaring itself off wrist or its wearer dead. That way even tattooed ones could benefit from the complete functionality without a need to turn anything off .

Or, if this 'issue' only exists for a tiny number of people who buy the watch, you could just provide an option to turn wrist detection off. That way the only functionality you would lose is applepay.

I'm not sure why you think you need to turn everything off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Or, if this 'issue' only exists for a tiny number of people who buy the watch, you could just provide an option to turn wrist detection off. That way the only functionality you would lose is applepay.

I'm not sure why you think you need to turn everything off.

I believe I wrote anything, not everything. Anything = wrist detection. I was reacting to the previous post. Anyway, they did not know there was a problem with the detection, they know now. They may do something for a tattooed minority in the next software update.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe I wrote anything, not everything. Anything = wrist detection. I was reacting to the previous post. Anyway, they did not know there was a problem with the detection, they know now. They may do something for a tattooed minority in the next software update.

That will be a new "feature" in the next (premium) iWatch 2. :D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main issue with this tech is certainly not tattoed man. Who here has tatooes on both wrists? No one?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not software, it's the laws of physics. The Apple Watch uses a green LED to measure blood flow in the wrist. If you have pigments in your skin that block certain light frequencies, it's not going to work. Also, they would have to compensate for every colour and type of pigment.

It would be exactly the same if you had the tips of your fingers tatooed and you tried to use a finger pulse/oxygen meter.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will find it has far more problems with wrist/arm movement. It reads best if you are sat still.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal El wrote: »
    Same here. Never wished a Bank Holiday weekend away so much :D

Hope you both enjoy them I still love mine. Just ordered this nice stand from Amazon for mine http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-HUB®-SleekStand-Convenient-Wireless-functional/dp/B00W3MAUYO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1430630676&sr=8-10&keywords=Apple+watch+stand
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The main issue with this tech is certainly not tattoed man. Who here has tatooes on both wrists? No one?

I'd say most people always wear their watch on same wrist, so you don't have to be the "tatooed man" to have a problem.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Apple products but won't be investing in Apple Watch and same for Apple TV.

The watch is too big and bulky needs to be thinner. The circle icons look crap too.

It does nothing an IPhone won't do so sorry for me Apple Watch is not the best Ipad. The technology may improve in future models though.

Evey time Apple releases a new product it seems dated as its big, lacks all features. Ipad mini for example is well under spec. Why not release the 'S' super slim, larger screen watch today not in three years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It's not software, it's the laws of physics. The Apple Watch uses a green LED to measure blood flow in the wrist. If you have pigments in your skin that block certain light frequencies, it's not going to work. Also, they would have to compensate for every colour and type of pigment.

It would be exactly the same if you had the tips of your fingers tatooed and you tried to use a finger pulse/oxygen meter.

From what I have seen it wasn't blocked completely, it just wasn't reliable. Probably depends on the tattoo, its size, the pigment used, etc. Thus I wrote maybe they could work with that.

Maybe they won't be able to ignore this, imagine the fiasco of somebody buying the gold monstrosity and then being told it does not work completely for them. Apple may need to get them a lackey to unlock the watch each time they raise their wrist to use it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I have seen it wasn't blocked completely, it just wasn't reliable. Probably depends on the tattoo, its size, the pigment used, etc. Thus I wrote maybe they could work with that.

Maybe they won't be able to ignore this, imagine the fiasco of somebody buying the gold monstrosity and then being told it does not work completely for them. Apple may need to get them a lackey to unlock the watch each time they raise their wrist to use it :D

Or just switch off wrist detection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Apple products but won't be investing in Apple Watch and same for Apple TV.

The watch is too big and bulky needs to be thinner. The circle icons look crap too.

It does nothing an IPhone won't do so sorry for me Apple Watch is not the best Ipad. The technology may improve in future models though.

I definitely wouldn't describe it as big and bulky. It is smaller than almost every single watch I own.

However, I would agree that I'm still not sure why I would need one.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Evey time Apple releases a new product it seems dated as its big, lacks all features. Ipad mini for example is well under spec. Why not release the 'S' super slim, larger screen watch today not in three years?

have you actually worn one for a bit to see what it's like to wear?

i wouldn't say it was big and bulky at all. it's much slimmer than my gshock

it's also very comfortable to wear, more so than my g shock
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Or just switch off wrist detection.

If I paid thousands for a watch I'd want it to work perfectly or return it.