Options

Athletics 2015

Comments

• Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavitar wrote: »
    The US Championships start today (through to Sunday) and is live on USATF.tv.

The broadcast schedule is here - add 8 hours for UK time.

You'll see from the events schedules that their Junior Championships are also incorporated. The 'seniors' action will start at 11.40pm BST tonight but on Saturday & Sunday it starts much earlier.

If want to catch-up after the event, all the action will be archived.

Hopefully, they won't employ the young Irish guy from the 2013 U23's again. For a few minutes his pronunciation of any name more complex than Thomas Barr was hilarious. However, after pronouncing the same name in 4 different ways over the course of a race it all became very annoying. :D

There is also coverage on Eurosport 2 on Saturday & Sunday from 9-11.

That Irish guy - started out cringing but was just laughing in the end. Even Gemili was beyond his pronunciation capabilities. :o

Re: Bolt - I think it's more & more likely that he won't be in Beijing and the nightmare scenario for the sport will happen. :cry:
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Just spotted the US Championships are live on Eurosport on Saturday and Sunday night from 9.00pm til 11.00pm.:D:D

That's great news! Ahead of all the trials and Beijing I thought it would be helpful to compile a list of wildcards. Of course there are countries who have already had their trials (SKN for example with Kim Collins on their team for the first time since 2012) and there are athletes who won't be in attendance in Beijing for various reasons (injuries, drugs, babies).

I have listed the reigning champions first and diamond race winners second, and I have made bold those events with only one wildcard, e.g. W100MH. This is it as it stands. It may change as people drop out and the wildcard is transferred to the diamond race winner (if they are from the same country) leaving the event with only one wildcard:
    Sprints:
    M100: Usain Bolt (JAM), Justin Gatlin (USA)
    W100: Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce (JAM), Veronica Campbell-Brown (JAM) - SAFP gets the wildcard
    M200: Usain Bolt (JAM), Alonso Edward (PAN)
    W200: Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce (JAM), Allyson Felix (USA)
    M400: LaShawn Merrit (USA), LaShawn Merritt (USA)
    W400: Christine Ohoruogu (GBR), Novlene Williams-Mills (JAM)

Hurdles:
    M110: David Oliver (USA), Pascal Martinot-Lagarde (FRA)
    W100: Brianna Rollins (USA), Dawn Harper-Nelson (USA) - Rollins gets the wild card
    M400: Jehue Gordon (TTO), Michael Tinsley (USA)
    W400: Zuzana Hejnova (CZE), Kaliese Spencer (JAM)

Middle Distance, Long Distance and Steeplechase:
    M800: Mohammed Aman (ETH), Nijel Amos (BOT)
    W800: Eunice Sum (KEN), Eunice Sum (KEN)
    M1500: Asbel Kiprop (KEN), Silas Kipligat (KEN) - Kiprop gets the wildcard
    W1500: Abeba Aregawi (SWE), Jenny Simpson (USA)
    M3000 S: Ezekiel Kemboi (KEN), Jairus Birech (KEN) - Kemboi gets the wildcard
    W3000 S: Milcah Chemos (KEN), Hiwot Ayalew (ETH)
    M5000: Mo Farah (GBR), Caleb Ndiku (KEN)
    W5000: Meseret Defar (ETH), Mercy Cherono (KEN)
    M10000: Mo Farah (GBR)
    W10000: Tirunesh Dibaba (ETH)

Marathon and Walks:
    MMarathon: Stephen Kiprotich (UGA)
    WMarathon: Edna Kipligat (KEN)
    M20KM W: Aleksandr Ivanov (RUS)
    M50KM W: Robert Heffernan (IRL)
    W20KM W: Elena Lashmanova (RUS)

Vertical Jumps:
    MHJ: Bohdan Bondarenko (UKR), Mutaz Essa Barshim (QAT)
    WHJ: Svetlana Skholina (RUS), Mariya Kuchina (RUS) - Skholina gets the wildcard
    MPV: Raphael Holzdeppe (GER), Renaud Lavillenie (FRA)
    WPV: Yelena Isinbayeva (RUS), Fabiana Murer (BRA)

Horizontal Jumps:
    MLJ: Aleksandr Menkov (RUS), Godfrey Mokoena (RSA)
    WLJ: Brittany Reese (USA), Tianna Bartoletta (USA) - Reese gets the wildcard
    MTJ: Teddy Tamgho (FRA), Christian Taylor (USA)
    WTJ: Caterine Ibarguen (COL), Caterine Ibarguen (COL)

Throws:
    MShot: David Storl (GER), Reese Hoffa (USA)
    WShot: Valerie Adams (NZL), Valerie Adams (NZL)
    MDiscus: Robert Harting (GER), Piotr Malachowski (POL)
    WDiscus: Sandra Perkovic (CRO), Sandra Perkovic (CRO)
    MJav: Vitezslav Vesely (CZE), Thomas Rolher (GER)
    WJav: Christina Obergoll , Barbora Spotakova (CRO)
    MHT: Pawel Fajdek (POL)
    WHT: Tatyana Lysenko (RUS)

Multi Events:
    Dec: Ashton Eaton (USA)
    Hept: Hanna Melnychenko (UKR)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lashmanova is banned (along with a zillion other Russians)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, I know. :D But I wanted a complete list. As I said, remove where necessary for injuries (Tamgho), drugs (Lashmanova) and babies (Dibaba)! Maybe I'll go through and put strikes through those names to avoid confusion. Can you do that on here? I guess not, lol.
  • Options
    GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Paavo Nurmi Games on ES wasn't terribly high quality - not many deep fields, but there were some decent events like the Men's 100 (Sean Safo-Antwi 4th in 10.29w) & 400H (Seb Rodger 5th in 50.51), the Women's 100H (better run by Sereta Solomon winning in 13.03) and the Men's Javelin (of course! It's in Finland!) However, from what I read, the organisers are throwing a lot of money at it and hope that the increased TV coverage & exposure will help them attract more depth in future.

What I love about many of these EAA meetings is the smaller stadiums and the packed and enthusiastic crowds. It's like it's their big event for the year.

A fair few Brits were competing in Sollentuna, Sweden tonight - http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=142006 - No startling performances but a few SBs. Martyn Rooney still struggling to get close to 45.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read an interview with Jeremy Wariner (31 yo now) earlier in the year and he said he wants to go sub-45 in the US Champs to give himself a shot at making the team for Beijing. He hasn't run sub-45 since he ran 44.96 in 2012.

Well, he made it through to the semis as a fastest loser in an SB of 45.74 (just edged out by 0.01 from automatic qualification). He looked pretty much flat out though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayward Field 'magic wind' out in force last night I see.

Ryan Bailey false started so will miss Beijing - I can still hear Warren Weir laughing. :D Talking of loathesome US sprinters we can add another one to the list. Trayvon Bromell did a Kilty (Def: Failure to engage one's brain before posting on social media) and has revealed himself to be a homophobic idiot.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Hayward Field 'magic wind' out in force last night I see.

Ryan Bailey false started so will miss Beijing - I can still hear Warren Weir laughing. :D Talking of loathesome US sprinters we can add another one to the list. Trayvon Bromell did a Kilty (Def: Failure to engage one's brain before posting on social media) and has revealed himself to be a homophobic idiot.

Ooooh I missed that and can't find any reference to it elsewhere, do spill the beans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Ooooh I missed that and can't find any reference to it elsewhere, do spill the beans.

Deleted now (of course). Always someone to helpfully screenshot it.

https://twitter.com/WeybridgeIvan/status/614434709704167424
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With a wildcard each in the men's 100m, the two sprint superpowers could hog the WCh final to themselves...Gatlin will be joined by Gay, Bromell and Rodgers.

Two major competitors to miss out on selection are Jeter (W100m) and Richards-Ross :o (W400m).

Nelvis leads the W100mH heat standings with a WL of 12.34 (+1.9m/s)! If the wind stays like that in the final, goodness knows what the times will be...

Looking elsewhere, Alina Shukh of Ukraine has scored a 6039 WYB in the U18 heptathlon! That makes her the second to break 6k in that discipline, which I did not forsee - the clash with Lagger in Cali will be intriguing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a wildcard each in the men's 100m, the two sprint superpowers could hog the WCh final to themselves...Gatlin will be joined by Gay, Bromell and Rodgers.

Two major competitors to miss out on selection are Jeter (W100m) and Richards-Ross :o (W400m).

Nelvis leads the W100mH heat standings with a WL of 12.34 (+1.9m/s)! If the wind stays like that in the final, goodness knows what the times will be...

What a glorious men's 100m squad. The thought of a USA sweep in Beijing is.. Well the less said about that, the better.

I'm not shocked about Jeter but I am shocked and sad about Richards-Ross. Second fastest in the world and 5th in her semi. That's really tough.

I predict Nelvis will take the USA title. She's undefeated and Stowers isn't the most consistent athlete. I think Harper-Nelson will grab a spot and Rollins has the wildcard, which I think she'll need to rely on actually. This is another event where a USA sweep in Beijing could be on the cards.

The Jamaicans Asafa Powell, Ashmeade and Bailey-Cole are heading to Beijing to compete in the 100m, with Carter taking a relay spot (or the fourth spot if Bolt doesn't show). Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce (wildcard), Natasha Morrison, VCB and Sherone Simpson, finishing in that order, are the women who made the 100m team and for the first time since 2005, Kerron Stewart has failed to secure an individual spot. The new sensation Elaine Thompson pulled out of the 100m to focus on the 200m and again she avoids SAFP. Maybe their coach's agenda is Gold for SAFP in the 100 and aim for Gold in the 200 with Thompson. I can see SAFP pulling out of the 200m today to back this up.

Bahamian and Trinidadian trials are on this weekend too. I'll post what I can find!

Gemili has confirmed via Twitter that he won't be at trials but he'll see what he can do for worlds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    What a glorious men's 100m squad. The thought of a USA sweep in Beijing is.. Well the less said about that, the better.

I'm not shocked about Jeter but I am shocked and sad about Richards-Ross. Second fastest in the world and 5th in her semi. That's really tough.

I predict Nelvis will take the USA title. She's undefeated and Stowers isn't the most consistent athlete. I think Harper-Nelson will grab a spot and Rollins has the wildcard, which I think she'll need to rely on actually. This is another event where a USA sweep in Beijing could be on the cards.

The Jamaicans Asafa Powell, Ashmeade and Bailey-Cole are heading to Beijing to compete in the 100m, with Carter taking a relay spot (or the fourth spot if Bolt doesn't show). Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce (wildcard), Natasha Morrison, VCB and Sherone Simpson, finishing in that order, are the women who made the 100m team and for the first time since 2005, Kerron Stewart has failed to secure an individual spot. The new sensation Elaine Thompson pulled out of the 100m to focus on the 200m and again she avoids SAFP. Maybe their coach's agenda is Gold for SAFP in the 100 and aim for Gold in the 200 with Thompson. I can see SAFP pulling out of the 200m today to back this up.

Bahamian and Trinidadian trials are on this weekend too. I'll post what I can find!

Gemili has confirmed via Twitter that he won't be at trials but he'll see what he can do for worlds.

The times in the US 100m finals were quick but not the really crazy times we saw in the rounds. I'm not sure Bromell will be a factor in Beijing though.

I did wonder why no Elaine Thompson in the 100. I have to say I think we may have seen the best of Blake.

Will be interesting to see the Mens 200s from the US & Jamaican trials. Other than 'you know who' nobody else has been running really fast times which makes Adam's injury all the more frustrating
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice upbeat article for a change on the sport and yes it's from the Daily Mail too. A lovely interview with the Hylton & Nielsen twins. Shannon, Cheriece & Lina are amongst those competing in the big Junior meet in Mannheim this weekend.

And Lina's comment on Gatlin :D:D:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3141003/The-Hylton-Nielsen-twins-Great-Britain-s-sprinting-sensations-Team-GB-twin-win-it.html
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holly Bleasdale (now Bradshaw) competing at the Welsh Champs this weekend, aims to qualify for the Worlds in Beijing this year. She plans on competing at the British Championships and on the Diamond League circuit. She's not going to do the European Champs next year as she doesn't want to compromise her chances in Rio.

http://www1.skysports.com/scholarships/news/23850/9895852/pole-vaulter-holly-bleasdale-ready-for-first-competition-in-16-months
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anita Włodarczyk has added 25cm to her own hammer WR - it now stands at 79.83m! If she doesn't break 80m this season, I'll be surprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, some shocks in the US Champs - the 2 fastest of the year (McCorory & Richards Ross) don't make the individual team for Beijing and neither does Jasmin Stowers. Their selection process is brutal.

EDIT: Thanks, Edward. I hadn't thought that Felix might not take up her 400 place. It should be said that it was young Keni Harrison making the team in the 100H, not Queen Harrison who missed out by 0.01.

Disappointing to see all those who made the team at 100 scratching from the 200. Pussycats!

Favourite name of the champs so far - Turquoise Thompson, through to the women's 200 final. :D
    Holly Bleasdale (now Bradshaw) competing at the Welsh Champs this weekend, aims to qualify for the Worlds in Beijing this year. She plans on competing at the British Championships and on the Diamond League circuit. She's not going to do the European Champs next year as she doesn't want to compromise her chances in Rio.

http://www1.skysports.com/scholarships/news/23850/9895852/pole-vaulter-holly-bleasdale-ready-for-first-competition-in-16-months

Thanks for that. I was wondering whether we'd ever see Holly compete again. Fingers crossed for her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An update on that throw - apparently the venue it happened in means the mark will not be ratified as a WR.

Over in Eugene - more shocks:
    World-leader McCorory finished 4th in the W400m - another big-name casualty! She won't contest the individual event in Beijing unless Felix (who won in 50.19) opts not to do this event.
    Stowers finished 5th in the W100mH - no global honours for her this year! Top 3 were Harper-Nelson (who won in 12.55 (-0.1m/s), Harrison and (by a whisker) world-leader Nelvis. Rollins DNS, but she is a wildcard in any case.

Such is the depth of talent in the United States that their global championship selection criteria is uncompromising, no matter who you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Trinidad and Tobago news I said I'd bring:
    Kelly Ann Baptiste wins the Trinidadian 100m title with Michelle Lee Ahye in second place and with an injury. This is happening far too frequently. Video here: https://youtu.be/i_-deJSgm90 Richard Thompson (Beijing 100m silver) failed to make the 100m final at the Trinidadian National Championships and he misses out on a team for the first time since 2005. Keston Bledman won the final in 9.86. The world junior 400m champion Machel Cedenio won the 400m final in 44.29 but was subsequently disqualified for starting his race in lane 5 and ending it in lane 4!

SAFP not running the 200 at the Jamaican trials. What did I say yesterday?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The criteria for selection at the US trials is brutal. I suppose they can afford to be with their depth though.

Good to be able to watch them. A shame some of the field events look as if they're being filmed by a spectator with a mobile phone though.

Do we know what the plans are for Hayward Field before they host the WC in 2021? Surely it will need a major upgrade of some sort.

Happy for Tori Bowie, but sad for Francena McCorory & Sanya Richards-Ross.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,075
    Forum Member
    Not sure the Daily Mail would expect one of their own columnists to support the "Plastic Brits"!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3141786/Plastic-Brits-d-toxic-Brits-like-Richard-Kilty-day.html

Fair play to him I guess for coming out and giving the alternative view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keston Bledman won the final in 9.86.
    And that'll probably be his quickest run of the season (same time in 2012, Thompson 9.85/9.82 in 2011/2014 respectively).
    The world junior 400m champion Machel Cedenio won the 400m final in 44.29 but was subsequently disqualified for starting his race in lane 5 and ending it in lane 4!
    Geez. He must gone inside on the curve, because running inside on the straight is fine provided you don't impede anyone else doing so.
    SAFP not running the 200 at the Jamaican trials. What did I say yesterday?
    There is also the fact that as reigning world champion, SAFP can enter the 200 in Beijing anyway.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never watched the US trials before, and it's proven to be quite entertaining. The Women's 400m and 100m hurdles were especially good.

I'm not sure what McCrory was playing at in the first race, but Felix won, so I'm happy. The hurdles line up was mightily impressive and for an event I never used to think much of, in recent years I've really come to respect it. It's a tough event so I wasn't surprised to be see Stowers fail to qualify.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update on that throw - apparently the venue it happened in means the mark will not be ratified as a WR.

Over in Eugene - more shocks:
    World-leader McCorory finished 4th in the W400m - another big-name casualty! She won't contest the individual event in Beijing unless Felix (who won in 50.19) opts not to do this event.
    Stowers finished 5th in the W100mH - no global honours for her this year! Top 3 were Harper-Nelson (who won in 12.55 (-0.1m/s), Harrison and (by a whisker) world-leader Nelvis. Rollins DNS, but she is a wildcard in any case.

Such is the depth of talent in the United States that their global championship selection criteria is uncompromising, no matter who you are.

The speed of Felix in the last 50m of the race :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that'll probably be his quickest run of the season (same time in 2012, Thompson 9.85/9.82 in 2011/2014 respectively).

Geez. He must gone inside on the curve, because running inside on the straight is fine provided you don't impede anyone else doing so.

There is also the fact that as reigning world champion, SAFP can enter the 200 in Beijing anyway.

I know, I was going to say that the top 4 sprinters from Trinidad and Tobago have set their personal bests there and barely come close to those times in championships or meets. So to me, KAB's 10.84 isn't really a factor in terms of predictions, nor is Bledman's 9.86. How many finals has Bledman even made?

Cedenio went inside on the first curve and none of the commentators seemed to notice he was running down the home straight with another athlete behind him! https://youtu.be/efOLibv4E9I

Even so, I don't think we will see Fraser-Pryce in the 200m in Beijing. Maybe if Shaunae Miller and Allyson Felix both opt for the 400 (Miller ran the 400 at the Bahamian championships), Fraser-Pryce will also run the 200. But her coach is known to be a bit funny with his decisions.

Omar McLeod (NCAA champion) won the 110m hurdles title in Jamaica in (12.97 WL, PB!!) Ahead of Hansle Parchment in 13.08. McLeod has opted to forego the remaining two years of study to turn pro.

Happy to see Dawn Harper-Nelson making yet another team. she is so likeable and consistent. I wouldn't mind seeing her take the gold actually. I don't see her ending the year as the fastest in the event though.

There is so much going on that I haven't spoken about field events. Bartoletta 7.12!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth noting that Bartoletta was world champion in the long jump all of 10 years ago, but has not been in good shape until relatively recently (since 2012, when she outsprinted SAFP on the start leg of the 2012 Olympic 4x100m). She didn't break 7m until last year IIRC.

McLeod looks like a big find for Jamaica. How the hell did Cedenio not notice he changed lanes?! :o That was bizarre...