Athletics 2015

Comments

• Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Stockholm felt a bit flat overall. Great performance by Greg though. Not that our friend Chris Tomlinson was impressed.

https://twitter.com/LongJumpChris/status/626859658398011393

Seriously can we lock him, Kilty & Vernon in a cupboard somewhere.

If I did not know he was such a jealous, terminally underperforming prat I would have thought that this was satire. :D

As for Greg I believe that he has a few 8.40 + jumps in him this season if conditions are right.

Hopefully in Beijing!
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    Well times haven't changed that much. He's still not coming close to winning a comp...

And what dos he jump now? - clearly not to the same of standard!

Rutherford has improved - this guy hasn't.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    National Record for the UAE there - i.e. they have just signed up a new Ethiopian.

!

Never heard about her before. Do you know for how long she has been UAE?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavitar wrote: »
    Barshim continues to be out of sorts. The High Jump really hasn't "taken off" this year, very flat.

I KNOW!!!!
    Last year he was stable around 240, looking so convincing on "lower" heights ie 230-235. This year started off well, but now he's just meh.

Could end without a medal in Beijing.

Havent seen much of Bondarenko either.

Tsyplakov for the gold?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavitar wrote: »
    Has Henrik Ingebrigtsen joined a Village People tribute band?

OMG that was horrible wasnt it?

He has two little borthers. Youngest is 14 (!) and could be amazing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stockholm felt a bit flat overall. Great performance by Greg though. Not that our friend Chris Tomlinson was impressed.

Dont know much about him but what a lame loser.

Im not really a fan of Greg, but his performance yesterday was possible the best of them all. CT can go to away. Forever.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stockholm felt a bit flat overall. Great performance by Greg though.

We often see this when the big European host nations don't really have any home athletes of their own to follow. The Swiss are doing reasonably well at the moment, Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic always have good hopes, lots of interest in France and Holland, but it's all gone quiet in Italy, Spain but the only Scandinavian athlete who is remotely world class at the moment seems to be the Danish girl Petersen in the 400m H. Well, apart from the plastic Swedes of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bondarenko's not competed for a while, been injured I believe. I think Zhang will win gold in Beijing unless Barshim can turn his form around in the next 3 weeks

Don't know what has happened to him, when he jumped in the Athlone Indoors Meet back in March it looked like the World Record was there for the taking. Don't know who is coach is, maybe he needs someone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Dont know much about him but what a lame loser.

Well, British long jumping was rubbish for a very long time - literally nothing at all won since the 1968 Olympics - and Tomlinson came along, broke the British record and for a year or two looked like he could develop into world class. Unfortunately for him, it never happened, then Rutherford started winning medals, beat Tomlinson's record in a very controversial fashion and Tomlinson just keeps getting worse and worse and ever more jealous. If Rutherford is ever found dead in mysterious circumstances, it won't need Hercule Poirot to work out who has done it.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, British long jumping was rubbish for a very long time - literally nothing at all won since the 1968 Olympics - and Tomlinson came along, broke the British record and for a year or two looked like he could develop into world class. Unfortunately for him, it never happened, then Rutherford started winning medals, beat Tomlinson's record in a very controversial fashion and Tomlinson just keeps getting worse and worse and ever more jealous. If Rutherford is ever found dead in mysterious circumstances, it won't need Hercule Poirot to work out who has done it.

Terminally trounced Tomlinson, in the sand pit, with a javelin. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We often see this when the big European host nations don't really have any home athletes of their own to follow. The Swiss are doing reasonably well at the moment, Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic always have good hopes, lots of interest in France and Holland, but it's all gone quiet in Italy, Spain but the only Scandinavian athlete who is remotely world class at the moment seems to be the Danish girl Petersen in the 400m H. Well, apart from the plastic Swedes of course.

Very interesting girl. Must admit I havent really paid attention to her before now.
    She has 11 Danish championships, so obivously been around for a long time. She medalled at Junior EC or WC, then never really imporved.
    Then had a kid, and suddenly this year she is a contender for not only a final but a medal, and could even take the gold. Remarkable.

Norway has no medal chances in Beijing, unless Henrik suddenly finds form and pace in final is super slow.
    Sweden... Not really... Torneus in LJ can make final, but...

Outside chance for Bengtsson in womens PV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting.
    What was controversial?

Theyre not friends off court I guess
    Did CT retire or he plans to come back?
  • GavitarGavitar Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG that was horrible wasnt it?

He has two little borthers. Youngest is 14 (!) and could be amazing

Yes, I read about his youngest brother. Hasn't he done something like 3:49 at age 14? :o

Of course, history is littered with amazing juniors who weren't able to keep on improving and transition to seniors successfully. Time will tell. However, I hope he does turn out to be amazing. We need all the good Europeans we can get in athletics.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.
    What was controversial?
    Rutherford jumped 8.51m (+1.7m/s) in Chula Vista last year. The official sat next to the takeoff board OK'd it, but a poor quality video of the takeoff cast doubt on whether the jump was a foul or not; the material used to spot fouls is also different from what you see elsewhere.

It was discussed at length in the Athletics 2014 thread (starting with this post).

His 8.35 (+1.7m/s) SB is the longest he's jumped outside of Chula Vista. A bizarre coincidence since he jumped that very distance in Chula Vista in 2012 - equalling Tomlinson's NR (so they shared it for two years).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.
    What was controversial?

Theyre not friends off court I guess
    Did CT retire or he plans to come back?

The controversy is explained here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/27209852 Tomlinson also said that plasticene wasn't used which contravenes the IAAF rules.

You've got to say, looking at the still image, that Tomlinson had a point but it's just not becoming to protest so loudly against a fellow Brit.

He's not retired but he's 34 now and hasn't gone beyond 8m this year.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a pretty comfortable win for SAFP in the 100m. Looks like a Beijing 08/15 double is still on the cards.

There was a time when it looked like she'd need a PB to win but I don't think that's the case anymore. I wondered why she didn't seem her usual self after the race - it looked like she brushed off the other competitors but it turns out her wedding ring dropped off towards the end of the race!

Stockholm is always meh for me. Stockholm and Oslo are my two least favourite meets each time.

I'm tired of certain athletes doing this. Then others back them up by saying, "aren't we allowed an opinion?" These comments/attacks Greg keeps receiving must be motivating him. Good. A victory in Beijing would be sweet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight on CT.

As someone said, he might have a point if still picture is "real" but still comes off as very sour grapes. Aja.
    Esp when he's still ranting about it....
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    And what dos he jump now? - clearly not to the same of standard!

Rutherford has improved - this guy hasn't.

Those 8.30/8.35 jumps, if he had done that at the Worlds in 2011 he would have won bronze/silver respectively. That's the thing with Chris he was always capable of putting out a decent jump in lower level comps but never did it when it really mattered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vinco Sports are back! Coverage of the AAA Championships from Bedford this weekend, featuring their trademark wobbly camera work and blocky videos that make the whole event look like it's been sponsored by Minecraft.

http://www.runjumpthrow.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vinco Sports are back! Coverage of the AAA Championships from Bedford this weekend, featuring their trademark wobbly camera work and blocky videos that make the whole event look like it's been sponsored by Minecraft.

http://www.runjumpthrow.com

Huzzah!

And thanks for the info. After seeing more of Gabby, Denise and montages than actual athletics last weekend, I'm just grateful for anything where the camera is trained on the arena the whole time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, so most of the big names announced as taking part at Bedford this weekend don't appear on the start lists - http://england.athletics-uk.org/entryforms/010815_entries.asp

Harry AA, Ellington, Kilty, Talbot, Jodie Williams, Levine, SBD, Laviai Nielsen, McAslan, Meadows and other big names are all out it seems.

Not what they had in mind, I'm sure, when resurrecting the formerly prestigious AAA Championships. Given the numbers of 'withdrawals', I'm wondering if the start lists are out-of-date so I might watch a couple of events to see what's going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only reason I can imagine for all those 'withdrawals' is they're all heading for the pre-WCh holding camp in Fukuoka.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason I can imagine for all those 'withdrawals' is they're all heading for the pre-WCh holding camp in Fukuoka.

Yeah, possibly. I'm watching at the moment and it's all got a very British League match feel to it. I'll see if Meadows turns up for the 800 shortly but if not, I won't continue watching since that would likely confirm the other withdrawals.

They should just let the AAA Championships die quietly. With having the British Champs too, there's no space for it on the calendar anymore, and I imagine being AAA Champion means very little to the younger generation these days. Big shame, because it has a great history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Austrian pole vaulter Kira Grunberg suffered a really bad injury today during a jump?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately that is true, judging by this tweet... :(