Gilly in 'Game Of Thrones' screentime?

I have season one of 'GOT' on DVD and really enjoyed it, I am going to re watch it and order season two. I was surprised to hear that Hannah Murray who played Cassie in 'Skins' is Gilly in the series, I really liked her in 'Skins'.

In the books Gilly has quite a small role (I thought) but clearly the series are delving into something bigger?

I've not seen season three either as I don't have the channel it airs on, so I wait for the DVD releases instead.

Anyway I thought I'd ask anyway :)

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her role in the show is pretty much the same (so far) as in the books.

She's probably had at most 30 mins screentime over Seasons 2 and 3.

Take into account though that even lead characters in the show usually only get about 60 - 90 mins screentime per season.

Edit
    Someone has worked out the exact screentime that Gilly has had (I knew this had been done for main characters but wasn't sure if it had been done for more minor characters) and it's
    18 mins 8 seconds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to google Gilly ... couldn't place her.

Little screen time but ever so annoying
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, was just wondering that's all! :)

I've heard she's annoying by others, apparently she cries a lot!? :p
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She doesn't cry a lot and does have a increased role in Season 3.

To be fair, nearly every character on the show has a small amount of screentime. If you work it out, the core characters are perhaps only in the show for about 3/4 scenes and in total have about 15 minutes of screen time on every episode.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't really like the character, so I'm not eager for more screentime with her. She's okay but not that interesting to watch.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. Jon Snow – 35:46
    9. Ygritte – 26:32

:eek: . I find them both irritating.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Her role in the show is pretty much the same (so far) as in the books.

She's probably had at most 30 mins screentime over Seasons 2 and 3.

Take into account though that even lead characters in the show usually only get about 60 - 90 mins screentime per season.

Edit
    Someone has worked out the exact screentime that Gilly has had (I knew this had been done for main characters but wasn't sure if it had been done for more minor characters) and it's
    18 mins 8 seconds.

Thanks for the link. Ros had far less screen-time than I'd imagined! Interesting to see Sam Tarly had more screen-time than other 'alpha' characters.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, was just wondering that's all! :)

I've heard she's annoying by others, apparently she cries a lot!? :p

'Annoying' & 'Crying' are bandied about a lot from certain fans that are usually (though not exclusively), into the 'action hero' element of the series.

Gilly & more importantly Sansa are both seen in this light.

Perhaps the fans that dismiss these characters need to observe why they behave the way they do?

Neither Gilly or Sansa are cowardly. Gilly may appear a little 'simple' if anything, but that's probably due to lack of education/treatment by father/abuser Craster!

Sansa has certainly shed (bitter) tears in the series, but, you must be pretty cold hearted to see her as a cry baby princess like some on this forum have! She's only a teenager, who's lost most of her family, been forced to denounce her father then watch his execution, endure mental and physical humility by the Lannisters, near rape from a braying mob and be used as a political pawn.

Actually, Sansa is one tough cookie! She has stood up for her father/asked for his forgiveness in-front of a supremely bigoted council. Stood up for a drunken knight to prevent his certain death and been a source of strength for other women during an attempted castle siege. All this and to live in the constant anxiety of not knowing if her King will allow her to live or die on a whim! In her position, I possibly would've ended my life long ago!

Oh, one other thing, she would've pushed Joffrey off the castle top if it wasn't for The Hound stopping her!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't get excited about her role, in my opinion she's terrible in GOT (never watched Skins, so I don't know what she was like in that).
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Edit
    18 mins 8 seconds.

That was quite an interesting read! Ramsay Snow's 13.43 mins screentime certainly felt a lot longer! :eek:
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    'Annoying' & 'Crying' are bandied about a lot from certain fans that are usually (though not exclusively), into the 'action hero' element of the series.

Gilly & more importantly Sansa are both seen in this light.

Perhaps the fans that dismiss these characters need to observe why they behave the way they do?

Neither Gilly or Sansa are cowardly. Gilly may appear a little 'simple' if anything, but that's probably due to lack of education/treatment by father/abuser Craster!

Sansa has certainly shed (bitter) tears in the series, but, you must be pretty cold hearted to see her as a cry baby princess like some on this forum have! She's only a teenager, who's lost most of her family, been forced to denounce her father then watch his execution, endure mental and physical humility by the Lannisters, near rape from a braying mob and be used as a political pawn.

Actually, Sansa is one tough cookie! She has stood up for her father/asked for his forgiveness in-front of a supremely bigoted council. Stood up for a drunken knight to prevent his certain death and been a source of strength for other women during an attempted castle siege. All this and to live in the constant anxiety of not knowing if her King will allow her to live or die on a whim! In her position, I possibly would've ended my life long ago!

Oh, one other thing, she would've pushed Joffrey off the castle top if it wasn't for The Hound stopping her!:D

It's so good now I've "caught up" and finished Season 3 as I had been avoiding this sub-forum and all GOT posts until now and now I can discuss it with fans :D

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't class Sansa as cowardly or a crybaby, and I actually like her character, particularly in the second and third seasons. I like Arya much more though!

I can't warm to Gilly though. I understand the 'simple' aspect of her character for the reasons you pointed out but I still find her really annoying. I think it's the voice and the stupid expression she has on her face. I don't personally think it's down to the actress, it's more the way the character is portrayed (although I haven't read the books so can't be confirmed.)