Options

Thanking the bus/taxi driver after a journey

Comments

• Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I thank the bus driver. The people who scan my shopping. The people I call when sky plays up. People who serve me in shops or restaurants.

Job or not they've done something for you. It's polite to say thank you. It cost nothing.

I'm shocked at how ill mannered some people who have posted seem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Do you all go to the front of the train and thank the driver before you get off too? If not I think this is very unfair and discriminatory. Train drivers are not below bus drivers, you know.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Of course, as I have manners.

I really dislike it when people justify poor behaviour with "it's their job to clean up/retrieve the trolleys/drive the bus".

Yes, it may be their job but you're still an arsehole.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Some people seem to have a problem with saying the basics of common decency and politeness - 'please' and 'thank you'. Amazing.

Having people in my acquaintance who have been a bus driver, police officer, shop assistant, phone operator etc, and knowing the daily abuse and bad manners they have had to endure from the general public, I make a point of being polite - they could be a friend or family member of mine.

The way they go on, you'd think it cost money to treat people decently.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Yeah I do most of the time though if I have my ipod on I just smile at them instead. I know that I don't "need" to but I want to it's just nice manners to and it doesn't cost me anything at all. Someone providing a service is also your fellow human being and not just someone to be ordered about and then denied the most basic of courtesies (a thank you) because "they are already getting a wage".
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I don't do it is on the rare occasion that the bus driver has been rather rude...but I guess that's also hypocritical of me!
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Of course. It's basic manners. If I didn't, I'd be an arsehole, and a badly brought up one to boot. I'm surprised at some of the attitudes in this thread. "That's their job, so I don't bother thanking them"? Pure ill-mannered snobbery. Ugh.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Well, do you? :p

I always do, as it costs nothing and hopefully makes someone's day that little bit better.

I'll thank both, but whereas a taxi driver will also invariably say "thank you" back, a lot of bus drivers are miserable sods and don't.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    jazziee wrote: »
    Do you all go to the front of the train and thank the driver before you get off too? If not I think this is very unfair and discriminatory. Train drivers are not below bus drivers, you know.

That's not really manageable is it though hardly anything like thanking a bus driver. You're going out the bus anyway so you'llbe passing within 2 feet of the person and there's not quite as many people all coming off at once so you can easily manage a thank you to the bus driver as you get off.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's peculiarly British. If you do it in other countries (as I once did) people give you funny looks :blush:
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I think it's peculiarly British.
    And American, at least in the national parks - see my post immediately above yours.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good manners really make a difference, I drive a bus and saw a young man running for the bus so I pulled in at a bus stop and waited what felt like ages for him to catch up, he got on, flashed his pass and without a word sat down, when he got off never said a word. So a couple of days later I'm approaching a bus stop and see same young man trying to cross a busy road to get to the bus stop, did I stop and wait for him? what do you think!, an example of how a lack of manners can can come back and kick you up the arse, that one little word 'thanks', can make a difference. Those on here boasting of their lack of manners will be looked down upon by others even if you're too obtuse to realise it.

This 100%.

My first thought when I read the very first reply to this thread was "cock".
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually say thanks when I'm getting on a bus especially if I've been waiting a while.:D
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always say thank you to almost everyone . It's the way I have been brought up BUT I refuse to clap the pilot when we land which I find extremely strange but I do say thank you if he is standing at the door as I do to all the air crew.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I think it's peculiarly British. If you do it in other countries (as I once did) people give you funny looks :blush:

When I was in Avignon they shouted it down the bus, I used to be bracing my ears at every stop for the "MERCI, AU REVOIR!!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I used to go in the taxi I usually tried to strike a conversation with the driver as we'll to try and be friendly, if I sense they're not interested I keep quiet. I don't like awkward silences.

But yeah I also thank bus drivers too. ^_^
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do if they turn up on time. More out of being pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do it automatically. It's just basic good manners, isn't it?
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm somewhat different - I just say "merci"!
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

I always do, as it costs nothing and hopefully makes someone's day that little bit better.
    Fairly typical here in Stevenage - also, you probably know the driver, even if only by sight. If it is a Centrebus driver, I'll occasionally say "dziękuję!"
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On our bus route everyone thanks the driver on leaving and they always respond. It takes little effort and it's courteous both ways and it's an act of pleasantry.
    I also talk to, thank and tip taxi drivers if they are congenial.
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Of course. It's basic manners. If I didn't, I'd be an arsehole, and a badly brought up one to boot. I'm surprised at some of the attitudes in this thread. "That's their job, so I don't bother thanking them"? Pure ill-mannered snobbery. Ugh.

nonsense, i never thank them, only when they hand me back change. I never have been on a bus with my parents in my life so it's not like my parents randomly said at the dinner table 'make sure you thank those bus drivers when you're older, there such nice lads opening the doors for you'
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Yes I do, it's hardly a hard thing to do. It's basic manners. After all you are thanking them for getting you to your destination. Bus drivers especially, sometimes have a sh*t job with sh*t passengers.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always say thanks, it's just good manners and I'm not the jumped up little rebel without a cause type who feels the need to take a stand and be discourteous for the sake of sheer arseholery.
    i don't just to be rebellious, i would say some people thank the drivers just because the person in front did and they are afraid of people thinking they are rude. Taxi drivers, that's a bit different, they usually help you with bags and what not
    Good observation, I've seen this in action many times. Loads of people silently exiting then as soon as one says thanks, everyone after does too.