Updating problem

kkboydkkboyd Posts: 121
Forum Member
Anybody else getting the message that the box isn't updating properly?

I get an EPG on the front of the box at the regular times, but nothing is coming through.

I hope this isn't the end for GuidePlus. I still rely on it!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    We've not had an update from Guideplus since the retune last week. In our case it can't find the Host Channel even when it's input manually so we've come to the conclusion that the signal simply isn't being transmitted.
    We've switched to the Digital EPG but hate it and really hope Guideplus will come back!
  • kkboydkkboyd Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I've got two recorders that use GuidePlus and only one of them also has a digital EPG (the other's too old). I do use both with red-eye to change the channel on my cable box, and I think that will still be functioning on the older box, but I don't think it will with the newer one if I switch it to the digital EPG.

There's nothing on the GuidePlus website about this, but I've been wondering if they have come up with a fix for when analogue is turned off everywhere in 2012. If so, there's nothing on the website to suggest it.

Let's hope it is restored soon!
    Forum Member
    I was glad to know we weren't alone as well! We've had the Pioneer working with GuidePlus faultlessly since installation 15 months ago so didn't feel it can be the unit.

We've found a partial solution tonight.
    We've been messing with the settings since Wednesday when we first got the message that the updates weren't happening (even though the box had been doing its usual 2-hour updates). We decided to reset the Host Channel - which was apparently still set correctly at A-ITV - thinking that perhaps the system had hiccupped during the retune. We then (obviously) lost all data already downloaded, plus all the channel information, converting the Pioneer to a rather expensive recording box because there is just no signal to reset anything.
    After getting very annoyed that evening, last night we fiddled with more settings, and discovered the Digital EPG (which in comparison is useless, and we would prefer to set recordings manually!)
    Fiddling some more, we decided to check the signal strength. The RF Channels showed us that 27 - supposedly the one A-ITV is on - had no signal whatsoever. Scrolling along, we discovered channel 32 was showing ITV. Returning to the setup, we manually changed ITV from 27 to 32 - this now means we can't get A-ITV on the Pioneer, but as we still have analogue on the tv and the digital this isn't a problem - and suddenly tonight it leapt into life and ran for 40 minutes - previously it was cutting out after about 4 minutes of being unable to find a signal. No EPG data yet, but all the channels have been returned to the guide so we're hoping the overnight update scheduled for 3.00am works.

Looking at the host channel setting, it shows it as being AV2/L1/ITV Meri, so I'm pondering whether it's actually finding the signal via our scart-linked video recorder. Whichever, if it works we won't care.

It's something you might want to check on your Pioneer, if downloads don't resume for you.
    Forum Member
    Seems the connection isn't that correct after all - the update ran for 2 hours but picked up no information. Still, the channels are still there!

We're fairly convinced this is a transmission problem - we're on Rowridge. The most annoying thing to date is that when we first retuned, Ch5 moved onto 800 and gave us the message that we needed to retune. ITV4 misaligned as well. We manually tuned them both, thinking that perhaps this was a glitch while they were switching channels.

I tried adding channels last night and we noticed this morning that both those channels had moved incorrectly again. If they can't get that straight at the transmitter, what hope for the EPG?
  • kkboydkkboyd Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I'm happy to report that after doing a re-set, then re-setting up the whole box, I now have a completely up to date EPG from GuidePlus. As I have a cable box which uses red-eye to change the channels, this was exactly what I want. If you do take this route, be prepared for it to take a while to get all the data.

Again, I'm in London, which is in the last area for switch-off of the analog system. Has anybody got GuidePlus to work in a region where analogue has been turned off? I'm going to miss no longer having GuidePlus, but where will their business go if they don't work something out? The digital EPG in my Pioneer is great, but it only works for the digital channels and I don't think would be able to change the channel on the cable box.

At least there has been a bit of reprieve...
    Forum Member
    We're in a last switchoff area as well. Also not happy about the thought of losing Guideplus :-)

We're still without EPG downloads. Can't decide whether to risk resetting everything (again!) or stick with the little we've got. We're so fed up with thinking about it I think it might wait for a few days!