Options

Steve McClaren dead man walking ?

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder just how long Steve McClaren will be able to keep his job. I thought he would do well as Newcastle manager. They spent 47 million over the summer and I thought he had spent well.

However the results have not been good but even worst the performances on the pitch have been dire. They are currently in danger of going out in the league cup to sheff wed at home. It is worth pointing out this is a weak Weds side they managed 10 changes to the squad compared to the league game.

If your getting beat by a weakened side from the league below you then alarm bells must be starting to ring.

I dont think managers are given enough time but honestly in this situation you wonder just how long they will carry on with him ?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont rate him and have never rated him. A decent number two/coach at Man Utd but as a manger he has been largely hopeless (one title aside).

Thought he was lucky to get the job in the first place based on how Derby collapsed last season although many excuses were made for that.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of those merry go round managers who keeps getting sacked and rehired - football is weird.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would've thought that a man who steered Derby from potential Championship promotion to missing out on the play-offs would struggle to get results at a big Premier League club?
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Newcastle can be ruthless with sacking as the past has shown. Can't go on for much longer without the manager getting shown the door
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was probably the cheapest option.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful manager, what did they expect?
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked him the moment he decided to scapegoat Beckham to impress the media with England.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was best just being a number two, similar to Kidd, his record as a number one is not too good.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member
    Not at all surprised Newcastle are struggling under McClaren.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what anyone was expecting but Newcastle were very poor last year and have only brought in a few players of average standard since. They would need an extra special manager to get results out of this squad.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is, so many decent managers have tried and failed to do anything at Newcastle. McClaren is a good manager but not the best at making decisions. For a start I wouldn't have touched the Newcastle job with a 10ft barge poll. Impossible job.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    The trouble is, so many decent managers have tried and failed to do anything at Newcastle. McClaren is a good manager but not the best at making decisions. For a start I wouldn't have touched the Newcastle job with a 10ft barge poll. Impossible job.

Would not say they had that many "decent managers".

Since Sir Bobby left in 2004 I would say the only managers you could claim was decent are Sam and Pardew.

There biggest problem has been listening to the fans (always a mistake) and looking for a manager that would play "the Newcastle way".

They have appointed to many managers who if you looked at it from the outside see was never going to be good enough
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hughton was OK, in fairness.
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. He wasn't that good at Norwich, but he did well at Newcastle.

The trouble is, if Steve is sacked, who can they get. Nobody seems interested in the Newcastle job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But is "ok" the same as decent?

Is it not what hubby says to the misses when she ask's him how she looks in her new dress?

Apart from the two I mentioned (and personally I don't rate either of them that high but will admit they can do a decent job) and looking at their career and the levels they managed at I don't see anything that showed me they are good enough to manage a team like Newcastle.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mclaren is another manager who has been stealing a living for years - part of the "he'll do a job for you" group that includes big sam, harry, curbishly etc

I wouldnt let him manage the dog and duck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    mclaren is another manager who has been stealing a living for years - part of the "he'll do a job for you" group that includes big sam, harry, curbishly etc

I wouldnt let him manage the dog and duck.

Curbishly has not had a managers job since at least 08.
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure anyone could save Newcastle.
  • Options
    hallchallc Posts: 200,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nigel Pearson . Hot off the press...
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallc wrote: »
    Nigel Pearson . Hot off the press...

Talk about out of the frying pan, into the fire if that comes to fruition.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can somebody tell me why a club who lost nine games in ten (and drew the other one) thought it would be a good idea to hire a manager from a club who spectacularly imploded?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    To be fair to McClaren it looks like most of the squad have given up and wouldn't listen to any manager. It's going to require a Blackpool style clear out with virtually a whole new squad being brought in to replace them. May be best to rebuild in the Championship.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me why a club who lost nine games in ten (and drew the other one) thought it would be a good idea to hire a manager from a club who spectacularly imploded?
    But as you know most people at Derby think that the uncertainty about him moving on triggered the implosion rather than his lack of management skills. I guess everyone took their eye off the ball including him.
  • Options
    catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    by all accounts he was a very good No2 at united and is credited for changing a lot of the training methods after visiting a few top clubs around europe. He must have 'something' about him as it doesnt matter what league you are in, to win the title there with an unfancied team is a big achievement and cant be put down to luck along with taking middlesbrough to a european final.

However, his managerial record outside that is largely forgettable. Cant help but think its a hangover from the "wally with a brolly" media campaign that means he has a lack of respect in this country.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    But as you know most people at Derby think that the uncertainty about him moving on triggered the implosion rather than his lack of management skills. I guess everyone took their eye off the ball including him.

Seems like a bit of an excuse. Brentford were in a similar position knowing that their manager was being replaced at the end of the season but still managed to at least make the play-offs.