Options

Chris Evans - STOP WHISPERING!

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Anybody notice Chris keeps whispering things?

It is really annoying!

Why in hell he does this?

Comments

• Options
    radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is really annoying!

most people on here complain he shouts all the time ..you cant please everybody
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    It's to draw the listener in and emphasise the one-to-one aspect of broadcasting, but unless you're parked in front of the hi-fi it's usually wasted. If it's any help, the presenters on Today indulge in it too, the conspiratorial whisper. Completely wasted, can't hear a thing when they do, esp in the car.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    most people on here complain he shouts all the time ..you cant please everybody

Perhaps he's the first presenter in the history of radio to take notice of Digital Spy feedback.
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a trick. You'll turn the volume up, put your ear close to the speaker and all of a sudden, he'll start SHOUTING again :D
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member

It is really annoying!

Why do you blame Chris Evans and not Zanussi, the manufacturer of your washing machine that is clearly drowning-out your radio in the kitchen in the morning?
  • Options
    vwlvwl Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    The 'Today' programme presenters - and John Humphreys in particular is the king of whisper to shout - are all guilty of this up and own in speech levels.
    Why they have to speak as if they're taking part in a radio drama and not plain news delivery is beyond understanding. The other irritating thing they do is adopt the staccato delivery by stretching phrases out instead of speaking at normal speed. Is it to fill in time?!
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vwl wrote: »
    The other irritating thing they do is adopt the staccato delivery by stretching phrases out instead of speaking at normal speed. Is it to fill in time?!

With speech its usually because you have been given another bit of paper or something is being put on the screen in front of you. Either that or a producer is saying something in your ear, not sure if you've ever done it before but its extremely difficult to try and concentrate on what you reading while at the same time taking note of what is being passed or said to you.

Producers only do it if really needed but it happens especially in a fast paced news based breakfast show, the sorta things that warrant it usually are breaking news, telling you to drop a item due to a guest being unavailable, to cut short a conversation, to go to news,travel ect.
  • Options
    John_ChJohn_Ch Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Personally I'd rather he stopped talking altogether.....
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    John_Ch wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather he stopped talking altogether.....

If only there were a button on your radio to help with this...
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    If only there were a button on your radio to help with this...

My set has one. Its got a red top (somehow apt) and rids me of unwanted DJ's in a flash. Its called the off button.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to the Breakfast Show every morning on my way to work and I have never noticed any sound problems : /
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    I listen to the Breakfast Show every morning on my way to work and I have never noticed any sound problems : /

What's the saying. Some people hear what they want to hear.