Corrie to be rocked by massive continuety error at Betty's funeral (spoilers)

13»

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this too. The posters above should take their complaints to another thread as they aren't even about the Betty story. We still know very little about what's actually going to happen. Maybe Annie wrote to Betty asking her to take over the tenancy if Billy couldn't hack it? We all know Annie could pull strings to get her way with the brewery!

But Bet tried to BUY the Rovers in the 90s, from the Brewery. So the above isn't even possible, well, shouldn't be possible. However you're right that it could all pan out ok. But this is an internet forum and we're entitled to have a good moan! :D
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this too. The posters above should take their complaints to another thread as they aren't even about the Betty story. We still know very little about what's actually going to happen. Maybe Annie wrote to Betty asking her to take over the tenancy if Billy couldn't hack it? We all know Annie could pull strings to get her way with the brewery!

What from beyond the grave?:D:rolleyes:

Where do you suggest we discuss this story then?:
    Collinson confirmed the full storyline on This Morning today (April 2), explaining: "What they discover as they're clearing out her house is that Annie Walker, who was the landlady of the Rovers Return for the first 20 years of the show, actually bequeathed The Rovers to Betty in her will.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a374414/coronation-street-betty-williamss-secret-revealed.html
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not too long ago Blackburn Rovers WAS owned by Jack Walker.

I reckon that it was the football club, not the pub, that Annie bequeathed to Betty;)
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    IMHO - Scencia is absolutely right. Corrie scriptwriters are a disgrace to the programme and seem to think the viewers are complete idiots. Time after time they do this sort of thing. I don't mind the occasional continuity error for the sake of a good story but with Corrie it's it all the time. They write the storylines how they want the plots to go and to hell with the facts and logic.

E.g. The big storyline; Frank's murder was ridiculous. Carla's arrested. Shock horror. Not. Peter's arrested. Shock horror. Not. And that was it. A see-saw who-dun-it between the 2. Then it turns out it was Anne all along. We didn't see that coming, did we? :rolleyes:

I completely agree with this! I'm just a bit sick of the writers of my one time favourite tv programme insulting my intelligence, and I'm seriously considering giving up on it, after being an avid viewer for 36 years! I was only a child of 8 when I started following Corrie, and I know the history of every house on it, or most of it! And if this storyline is really going to happen, then for me at least, Corrie has been scrapped!
  • Whoopie DooWhoopie Doo Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're being too harsh on the scriptwriters, Corrie is the best it's been in years at the moment. I'm going to wait and see how this pans out.

Bet and Betty were the best of friends. Remember how Bet tried so desperately to keep the Rovers in the 90s? are we really supposed to accept that Betty stood back and watched her friend lose the one place she loved more than anything else in the world?

This idea that Betty has been secret landlady for the past 3 decades quite frankly see's Corro jump the shark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are we really supposed to accept that Betty stood back and watched her friend lose the one place she loved more than anything else in the world?

Exactly, hardly a lasting tribute to the character, more an insult
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet and Betty were the best of friends. Remember how Bet tried so desperately to keep the Rovers in the 90s? are we really supposed to accept that Betty stood back and watched her friend lose the one place she loved more than anything else in the world?

So, maybe it wasn't legally binding?

Shouldn't we at least watch it before judging? A lot of stories in the past few years haven't been quite as they've been described in the press.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree with this! I'm just a bit sick of the writers of my one time favourite tv programme insulting my intelligence, and I'm seriously considering giving up on it, after being an avid viewer for 36 years! I was only a child of 8 when I started following Corrie, and I know the history of every house on it, or most of it! And if this storyline is really going to happen, then for me at least, Corrie has been scrapped!

A better storyline IF the writers could handle it, would be something to do with Betty's hotpot.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Scencia wrote: »
    I find this post quite insulting, not only to the character of Betty but also to the intelligence of the viewers who invest a lot of passion and commitment to the show.

Why are you insulted? That seems like an overreaction to me. Fair enough, you invest a lot of passion and commitment. If you feel the need to be outraged by this then fair enough. I don't, and that post reflected my own feelings on this story.
  • HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ21 wrote: »
    producers are using their artistic licence, it does not matter that their is a continuity error

In a programme that is supposed to be based on reality, it very much matters, especially when a stupid error like this craps all over the show's history.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Why are you insulted? That seems like an overreaction to me. Fair enough, you invest a lot of passion and commitment. If you feel the need to be outraged by this then fair enough. I don't, and that post reflected my own feelings on this story.

I don't really think being insulted and being outraged are quite the same things. I feel insulted too, as a long time viewer it is an insult to be treated as if you have the memory of a Goldfish, and are prepared to accept story lines that completely contradict what has gone before. As others have said in other threads about soaps, ageing up kiddie characters in soaps is barely tolerable, but re-writing the history of the program and it's iconic characters for short term gain is just like saying to viewers "Well we don't really care what has happened in the rich, 51 year history of Britains most iconic program, we are going to do what WE WANT, and you'll like it, even if it makes no sense". Of course I'm hoping to be proved wrong. And by the way, I'm not outraged. I'll just stop watching Corrie. I'll save my outrage for things like the Government wanting to spy on our every move etc.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    In your opinion. In my opinion it's getting worse. An increase in shouting/needless nastiness, over the top stunts, a stream of nutters/murderers. It's becoming unbearable to me. And yes some might say "Well don't watch then". Well, it may well come to that if it carries on this way. Yes there are still some great characters and actors but it just doesn't seem the same anymore. I had to give up watching Neighbours a few years ago because it began to change beyond recognition, and now when I tune in occasionally it just seems like a completely different show. I hope this doesn't happen to Corrie. However the ever more desperate chase for ratings/short term attention seem more important in all soaps than long term care/consideration these days.

I've been watching since 1979 aged 5 - I still see shedloads of warmth and character despite the increase of murder and sensationalism.....the thing is - soaps have to be like this nowadays -or they wouldn't be here at all.