Options

Arthur: The remake... A good idea?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been reading the item on a director being selected for a remake of Arthur:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a206081/modern-family-director-for-arthur.html

Two questions..

First: Does anyone really believe that a remake is necessary and could be better than the original?
The original works for me on every level. Casting, script and direction are excellent IMHO.

Second: The choice of Russell Brand as the titular character.
I have to be up front here and say that I find him to be an oily, distasteful, seedy character who wouldn't look out of place on the sex offenders register..
The character of Arthur had charm and sophistication despite being a lush. The audience had a certain sympathy for him. I really can't envisage Russell Brand coming close to pulling that off.

Which begs the question again..

Why remake something unique and well loved?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Of course, we all know why it's being remade, money, and I don't have a problem with that. Baynham seems a good writer, but given that he usually part of a team it's hard to tell how good; this sort of stuff tends to direct itself so no problem with whatever tv hack they get. But Brand is the laziest stunt casting imaginable and I struggle to see how such a charmless **** will be able to portray the character, even if you didn't have Mr Moore's performance as a comparison. I say avoid.
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Well, Arthur was a drunkard, but he was a sophisticate in the upper echelons of New York society. Russell Brand is an oily tick and I can't see someone like him playing someone in the same position as that portrayed by Dudley Moore. The character would have to change beyond all recogniton or Rusell Brand would have to change, that is cut his hair, shave off his beard and wear a dinner jacket with style.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Must they :(