Splitting broadband signal?

whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I have Virgin Media BBand (50meg) coming into the lounge of my home.

There is another Virgin Media wall connection in my bedroom (not currently used).

Out of curiosity I took my modem from lounge and plugged it into the bedroom wall connection and it worked.

Would it be possible to buy another modem and have a connection in the lounge and the bedroom - I don't want wireless as I prefer a wired connection.

Do I have to buy another modem from Virgin or can I get one from any pc retailer?

Dave

Comments

• Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Do I have to buy another modem from Virgin or can I get one from any pc retailer?

Neither second modem wont work on the same cable and no one sells cable modems in the UK that you can legally connect to VM's network. Get and run an Ethernet cable to the second location.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to split the signal use the router and either go wireless or run a ethernet cable upstairs.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petey286 wrote: »
    If you want to split the signal use the router and either go wireless or run a ethernet cable upstairs.

or use Homeplugs. But the advice is most definitely that you have to use a cable router of some kind and NOT a second modem.