Options

What was your secondary school experience like?

Comments

• Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed secondary once I moved to a school that I liked, I was well liked, wasn't popular but was well enough known!

I am still friendly with some of them 10 years on, left in 2001. My only regret is not staying on for 6th year, but all my friends left at the end of 5th, and I left at the start of 6th.

I done not too shabbily on my exams, I got the highest result in my county for Int 2 Admin the first year it was out.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it much.I got split up from all my friends that i'd just spent 7 years in Primary School with.
    I guess there was a loss of innocence that i had in Primary.
    Suddenly it was a lot harsher,bullying,much stricter teachers,smoking,swearing,brutal fights that everyone gathered after school to watch.
    Like Grange Hill(with Tucker Jenkins).That series summed up High School in the 70's perfectly.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt really mind secondary school I was the smallest girl in my school and I used to hang around with tallest girl in the school who was in my class, and I was never bullied.

I always trired to make people laugh but I was never really bad.

I used to enjoy sports that was where I took up gymanastics seriously.

Only trouble I really got into waswhen I had a fight with a boy in the school playground who was picking on my brother
    everyone was amazed that I got into a fight and a huge circle formed and people were shouting 'fight fight fight'

My brother actually disapeared at this time and left me to his fighting.

Deputy Head came rushing out and was amazed to find me in the middle of the rucas.

Because I wouldnt stop fighting he actually picked me up and carried me into the school with another teacher.

He said in all his years at the school he had never seen a girl trading blows with a boy.

I never did get in trouble for the fight and it couldnt have been too bad as three months later he made me a school prefect.

I should have studied harder at school though, I regret leaving at 16.
  • Options
    UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy it at all. Really never knew what hit me after leaving primary school. Had no interest in Science, Maths or languages. Only part I enjoyed was English Lang/Lit. I've never, ever needed to know anything more about Science or Maths that I did not learn in primary school. Also, I've been to France and Spain and never needed to speak a word of either language.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a mixture of good and bad to be honest. I got very involved with the school in several ways which I loved doing. Just wish I hadn't quit some of them....

The bad stuff was being bullied, my boyfriend abusing me, my miscarriage. School often left me feeling very low and sometimes suicidal. Thankfully I had a really good form tutor who was always there for me.
  • Options
    dream stuffingdream stuffing Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt really mind secondary school I was the smallest girl in my school and I used to hang around with tallest girl in the school who was in my class, and I was never bullied.

I always trired to make people laugh but I was never really bad.

I used to enjoy sports that was where I took up gymanastics seriously.

Only trouble I really got into waswhen I had a fight with a boy in the school playground who was picking on my brother
    everyone was amazed that I got into a fight and a huge circle formed and people were shouting 'fight fight fight'

My brother actually disapeared at this time and left me to his fighting.

Deputy Head came rushing out and was amazed to find me in the middle of the rucas.

Because I wouldnt stop fighting he actually picked me up and carried me into the school with another teacher.

He said in all his years at the school he had never seen a girl trading blows with a boy.

I never did get in trouble for the fight and it couldnt have been too bad as three months later he made me a school prefect.

I should have studied harder at school though, I regret leaving at 16.

Hi Joey,
    Long time no speak. It sounds like you came up "through the 'ard knocks of life School" like me. It is good to know you defended yourself - that's sadly often the only way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Joey,
    Long time no speak. It sounds like you came up "through the 'ard knocks of life School" like me. It is good to know you defended yourself - that's sadly often the only way.

Hi dream stuffing

Been offline for a bit various things going on now back though.

yeah school was a bit rough, never got bullied because of my height though thanks to being friendswith tallest girl in the school.

Still had to look after your younger brother though even if it meant getting into a fight with a boy who was at least a foot taller then me and weighed ten ton.

My dad always told me to stay out of trouble at school but he was well pleased that I went into defend my brother against someone who was much bigger then me and that I traded blows with him.

Think he felt that I wasnt such a goodie goodie after all :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did right defending your younger bro Joey, yeah. Does he post on here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did right defending your younger bro Joey, yeah. Does he post on here?

No he Twitters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he Twitters.

Why not indeed hey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not indeed hey!

Havnt done one twitter :o

What were your school days like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Similar to your's I guess really Joey! The first Secondary School I went to was "the pits" it was terrible ... fend for yourself full time .... but it taught you how to "grow up" ASAP. The second one I went to, was much more mellow in comparison :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What'd you like the most though Joey .... having School like it was rough off Yesteryear or Today where "yeah, School is rough but friends look out better for you more now" I sense? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What'd you like the most though Joey .... having School like it was rough off Yesteryear or Today where "yeah, School is rough but friends look out better for you more now" I sense? :)

I think rough school where friends look out for you:)

Its funny but one of the school bullys in the school now works in the same department store I work for and is a department manager

When I first started there I reconsied her straight away, funny thing is she is quite nice now, she said she was like that because she got in with the wrong people and was too scared to leave their group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think rough school where friends look out for you:)

Its funny but one of the school bullys in the school now works in the same department store I work for and is a department manager

When I first started there I reconsied her straight away, funny thing is she is quite nice now, she said she was like that because she got in with the wrong people and was too scared to leave their group.

Me too, i'd go for what you went for Joey! School's are rougher these day's but I think you know who yor friends are more (bar the rouge characters you'll find anywhere and in any walk of life)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old school has a reputation now, security gates they now have security guards as well :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old school has a reputation now, security gates they now have security guards as well :eek:

Sounds well rough! What with these clip-on Ties that are menoplising Schools, too hey Joey :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds well rough! What with these clip-on Ties that are menoplising Schools, too hey Joey :)

Went past there a few months ago, new security gates and two guards inside the main entrance.

Never like that when I was there was a bit rough but deffo no guards.

Clip on Ties none when I was at school woulkd have like to have tried wearing one of those.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went past there a few months ago, new security gates and two guards inside the main entrance.

Never like that when I was there was a bit rough but deffo no guards.

Clip on Ties none when I was at school woulkd have like to have tried wearing one of those.

I wore a Clip on when on Work Placement in a Supermarket and they let me keep it Joey. I soon turned it into a conventonal tie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wore a Clip on when on Work Placement in a Supermarket and they let me keep it Joey. I soon turned it into a conventonal tie!

Are clip on ties popular I dont really see them around much.
  • Options
    Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to a substandard gulag. Liked primary school, secondary school brought out the worst in everybody. Had no confidence, I think largely to a dysfunctional, emotionally abusive father. Got bullied, turned into a bully myself. I'm pretty affable now, since it's just easier to be friendly. In truth, though, I think my teenage years were the most formative of my life, and my warm feelings for humanity probably emanate with about the same heat as Joseph Stalin's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are clip on ties popular I dont really see them around much.

True yes. If you can get the buckle thingy off though Joey ... it's easy as then for it to be normal!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I started in 1976, I wore uniform and specs for the first time
    I walked alone to school, it was nearby
    I won an award for effort in the first year
    There were no girls in our main class, some boys were noisy
    I did not like sport, I sat by the pool
    We saw a lot of television on early video recorders
    I used minibus often to see old people at a hospital
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I lived and studied abroad.

It was not really rough, but we were allowed to do pretty much what we wanted, so i do not Know if that's why there wasn't any need to be rebellious. I never heard of anyone getting pregnant though, and to tell the truth only the odd one out was having sex. We were allowed to smoke and we would spend half of our free time at one of the several cafes in front of the school. So we would cut classes pretty often. At the time you would not pass the year if you did not have good results, so i remember being 15 and a lot of my classmates were 19 or 20 year olds. The majority of students had terrible grades. The school program in there was super hard, when i compared it with the one in here it just makes me laugh .
    My secondary school experience is uneven or i would get straight As or i would just could not bother and fail miserably. The school was near the beach and part of a big surf community, so you can see the type, I do not remember ever thinking that i was working for my future.
    To tell the truth I do not really have fond memories of any of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed my years there. I wasn't one of the popular girls, but I had a small group of friends. Have some very fond memories and my future husband was in the year above me, not that I knew that then :D