Disappointing Blu-Ray transfers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apollo 13. I was expecting it to look so much better (as it does in the menu screen) But it's grainy.

Friday. The interior shots are shockingly bad.

The Walking Dead. I bought this on someone's rec and I was let down, not only by the show itself, but the grainy horrible blu-ray.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    On video we used to see worse than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading somewhere that "grainy" was a good thing.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Apollo 13. I was expecting it to look so much better (as it does in the menu screen) But it's grainy.

The Walking Dead. I bought this on someone's rec and I was let down, not only by the show itself, but the grainy horrible blu-ray.

I suspect the "grain" you are complaining about is part of the original image and a consequence of shooting on film. Nothing to do with a poor transfer.

They could get rid of the grain, but that would soften the picture and reduce the detail.

If the really grain bothers you, perhaps you could try decreasing your TVs sharpness setting. Having it too high could exaggerate its appearance.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the "grain" you are complaining about is part of the original image, nothing to do with a poor transfer.

True. "The Walking Dead" was intentionally filmed with a "grainy" look to give it a more moody, gritty effect.

The same goes for the film "ALIENS".
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly Purple Rain isn't as good a transfer as I would have liked.

A bit too grainy.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    True. "The Walking Dead" was intentionally filmed with a "grainy" look to give it a more moody, gritty effect.

The same goes for the film "ALIENS".

Actually Aliens wasnt intended to look so grainy. Cameron said he made a mistake using a particular type of film stock.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear The Crow is not much better than the DVD. Also Trainspotting seems to be terrible. Haven't seen either on BD myself, so can't give a first hand account.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Blade, the blu-ray from Alliance/Canada - I bought it because I wanted the steelbook edition of the film and only had it on VHS tape, so it's an improvement over that anyway! :D

They have also changed the ratio on it, will be getting another blu-ray of Blade where it's all correct and adding it to the steelbook.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there was talk of another blu ray of Blade on the way.

But there is a decent version of The Crow available on US blu ray, 2 disc edition and apparently far superior to the current one in terms of pic and sound.

Oddly enough, I bought the current version a few weeks back on one of those HMV 2 for 20 deals...and yes, it is pretty ropey.

Can't think of any particularly terrible transfers at the mo, but there are two in particular I am disappointed with...

Escape From New York - ok, I know it's low budget, but for a restored classic I find the quality very poor.

And another surprising one is Close Encounters...not terrible, but for such a major sci fi blockbster I think the picture quaity is questionable...and although you can forgive it to a degree because of it's age, plus those old optical effects, but I still think for such a major Spielberg movie I always felt that more could have been done. Even the sound, all those spaceships whizzing around, motherships etc...just nowhere near as much surround action as the film demands, and the mothership sequences just lack that oomph.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Escape From New York. One of the first Blu-rays I got and was disappointed with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Escape From New York. One of the first Blu-rays I got and was disappointed with it.

Me too on both counts.

I think it's a step up (a bit) from the DVD, but I'm in the minority with this view
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Actually Aliens wasnt intended to look so grainy. Cameron said he made a mistake using a particular type of film stock.

That's correct, he used a cheaper film stock. That said, the Blu Ray looks absolutely goregous, the people in charge of the restoration did a brilliant job.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got that many but I do have the Park Circus Blu-Ray of Charade, and the beginning does seem a bit ropey... although the DVD does look the same, so I guess there's just an issue with that particular negative reel or whatever. There's also some distractingly jarring 'judder' during camera pans, but again only more so during the first half of the film.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »

The Walking Dead is because of the way it is filmed. Well I'm guessing it is anyway, it was the same when it was on TV, the grain, especially in the sky shots is terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Bram Stoker's Dracula. Whached it tonight on bluray and was unimpressed! I dont think its much, (if any) improvement on dvd!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Rocky Box set. Just horrendous. Glad I bought it in the sale and not on first release!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Airwolf:The Movie
    Sadly it was worse than the Pilot Episode version on the DVD season boxset.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently The Raid's BluRay transfer is almost as horrible as the transfer for Predator with everyone having waxy faces and it looking far too smooth.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    ^ Didn't see anything wrong with The Raid, nothing stood out like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    ^ Didn't see anything wrong with The Raid, nothing stood out like that.

Same here, it looked fine to my eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The R2 of Independence Day is pretty crap quality :mad: Zero improvement on the dvd edition IMO

The earlier post about the blu ray of The Crow are sadly true:cry: but I got a double edition blu ray set of the sequels The Crow City of Angels & The Crow Salvation and the quality is very much improved:)
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    28 Days Later, the worst looking Blu Ray I have ever seen.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=562&position=2
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=562&position=8
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=562&position=9

It was filmed on an SD camcorder so there's not much that can be done about it.

Good film though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alien Resurrection was rubbish imo. Alien, Aliens, and 3 were great, Alien being pretty amazing. But AR didnt seem to be that much improved really. Which surprised me as I just assumed that as it was the most recent made film, that it would be so much better.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alien Resurrection was rubbish imo. Alien, Aliens, and 3 were great, Alien being pretty amazing. But AR didnt seem to be that much improved really. Which surprised me as I just assumed that as it was the most recent made film, that it would be so much better.

Aliens Vs Predators is a good Bluray release, very crisp and colourful image.