Heard the most ridiculous thing yesterday.

manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A guy in my office, early 40's, with three teenage daughters, said he thinks he should get a small extra tax allowance as he has to pay for them to have sanitary protection. :rolleyes: Also, he said, men on benefits with daughters should get allowed say an extra £1 a week! :rolleyes: None of us thought he was serious but he was!! What a jerk. Anyway us with lads said we then want an allowance for buying shavers!! :D

Some people, honestly. :rolleyes: :mad:

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there should be no vat on sanitary products, they aren`t a luxury.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    A guy in my office, early 40's, with three teenage daughters, said he thinks he should get a small extra tax allowance as he has to pay for them to have sanitary protection. :rolleyes: Also, he said, men on benefits with daughters should get allowed say an extra £1 a week! :rolleyes: None of us thought he was serious but he was!! What a jerk. Anyway us with lads said we then want an allowance for buying shavers!! :D

Some people, honestly. :rolleyes: :mad:

whilst I don't agree they should be on benefits - do you you have any idea how much these things cost. Yes there are cheaper versions, but you generally end up using twice as many, thus false economy.

sanitary products are not equal to shaving.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what he was on about, but a bit odd a guy starting this topic of conversation in a mixed office. Really grumbling he was.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    whilst I don't agree they should be on benefits - do you you have any idea how much these things cost. Yes there are cheaper versions, but you generally end up using twice as many, thus false economy.

Yes, about £2 to £3 a pack I believe so not that dear.
    Forum Member
    That's what he was on about, but a bit odd a guy starting this topic of conversation in a mixed office. Really grumbling he was.:rolleyes:

whats wrong with a guy discussing periods? If he has daughters he probably has to talk about it at home too. Have we been sent back to the early 20th century where women's 'monthlies' were something to be hidden?
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

Why aren't they equal? Have you seen how much razor blades cost?!
    Forum Member

is there something shameful about it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does anyone think the guy's right about getting some kind of allowance? He said they should be free if not, like the pill. He says he's going to start some sort of campaign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there something shameful about it?

No, of course not.
    Forum Member

depending on what you buy yes, but during a period if you use pads or tampons (or both) you need various different ones for different flows, which changes through out a period, and one pack is not enough for a period. I use both and change 6 or 7 times a day at full flow (sorry am I'm upsetting you talking about such personal things - oh wait, here's me not caring). that a pack a day at least, my period goes 10 days and usually I only get a break of 10 days between them. so thats £30 minimum per period, £60+ per month.

I'm not unusual, despite what men think, few women have a nice, carefree period that lasts 5-7 days, comes on like clockwork and never causes them hassle.

If this guy has a wife and 2 daughters I can see how it gets blooming expensive quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they are meant to be at reduced vat rate,

not sure how many retailers stick to that though
    Forum Member

unless you have to use three or four packets and/or products, i don`t know anybody who can get through on one packet a go and it can easily cost £10 - £15 a month.

@gprs: hey should take it all away, and razors.
  • DSCarterDSCarter Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Too true.
    What else are you going to use to mop up all that blue liquid they show you on the telly adverts?:)
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »

because shaving is a choice, not a necessity. I can't choose not to use sanitary protection. A guy can choose not to shave.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

It's criminal isn't it?! Over £7 for 3/4 blades now. I tried using cheap ones but you end up sticking tissue all over your face to stop the bleeding! Lol. The ones I but aren't even the dearest but I begrudge paying £7 just to shave... So, really either way if you shave or use pads there is going to be some bleeding involved :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If this guy has a wife and 2 daughters I can see how it gets blooming expensive quickly.

Wife and THREE daughters, early teens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because shaving is a choice, not a necessity. I can't choose not to use sanitary protection. A guy can choose not to shave.

you can choose to not wear sanitary products, it may nit be cleanest/safest option but u can still make that choice

if i choose not to shave my face , i get untidy and messy....same would apply to you if you didn't buy sanitary products

i think sanitary products AND razor blades for men should be made available cheaper to those on low incomes/benefits as they can be quite expensive

but then you would get all the bearded people saying 'they use my hard earned tax to shave'
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does anyone think the guy's right about getting some kind of allowance? He said they should be free if not, like the pill. He says he' going to start some sort of campaign.

If a woman has a medical condition that causes heavy and/or lengthy menstruation then they should be able to get sanitary items free on prescription. Then again they would be the most cheap ass pads and tampons in existance so women wil buy their own anyway!
    Forum Member

well there you go then, even if they just have one period each a month - your looking at £30 x 4 (£120) just on sanitary products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    It's criminal isn't it?! Over £7 for 3/4 blades now. I tried using cheap ones but you end up sticking tissue all over your face to stop the bleeding! Lol. The ones I but aren't even the dearest but I begrudge paying £7 just to shave... So, really either way if you shave or use pads there is going to be some bleeding involved :D

I buy an electric Philishave about every 8 years, when the blades go. Last one cost me £44.99, was half-price in an Argos sale.
    Forum Member

:eek:that`s a good £60 a month, minimum.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy an electric Philishave about every 8 years, when the blades go. Last one cost me £44.99, was half-price in an Argos sale.

I hate electric shaving. The other half uses one as he complains he looks 12 if he wet shaves. Haha. I can't seem to get on with electric shavers. I've got one in the cupboard but only used it twice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well nor is shaving a luxary. lots of men will tell you its quite a 'pain' in the neck, face, lips, chin and face generally.
    :eek:

On a serious note we have paid VAT on childrens cloths for years, BIG children. (not fat just very tall) we should get a VAY rebate! and I am not joking:D
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    you can choose to not wear sanitary products, it may nit be cleanest/safest option but u can still make that choice

if i choose not to shave my face , i get untidy and messy....same would apply to you if you didn't buy sanitary products

i think sanitary products AND razor blades for men should be made available cheaper to those on low incomes/benefits as they can be quite expensive

but if chose to not shave, it would affect your personal appearance, not your health, cleanliness or anyone else. If I chose to not use sanitary protection then not only would I smell (as the blood DOES smell, its lovely) I'd be visually offensive to others, as well as the risk of disease transference for anyone that comes into contact with the blood that will be on chairs etc (not that I have a disease, but who knows what others might carry). It would also offend many religious individuals, it would be uncomfortable for me and everyone around me. THATS the difference.

oh and women buy razors too.