Boomers - new comedy coming to BBC One, 15 August

Comments

• ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Boomers wasn't terrible. It was just a bit "meh". I want new comedy on TV but only ones that are actually funny. At the risk of sounding like an ambitious headmaster, we shouldn't accept mediocrity as it sets a low standard that will lead to a bigger batch of average to poor shows being made. That's why I rail against the "DS is full of doom" brigade. The vast majority of people don't express their dislike of shows for fun IMO; they just expect better. With that being said, with only 1 episode being shown, I agree with you in that Boomers has plenty of time to improve.

I agree with this. I had high expectations for Boomers, but sadly it wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be. Sure, there were a couple of witty one-liners and amusing jokes, but I felt that it was more comedy drama than the sitcom it was purported to be.

People are desperate to see new comedies, and more importantly, comedies that are actually funny. Yesterday, a repeat of Mrs Brown's Boys was the highest rated programme of the night on BBC1. Surely, Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda cannot be the only comedy successes of the last decade!
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the show was fine and will be giving it another watch next week. I did laugh one or twice during the show.
    I do however agree it was a bit like a half hour comedy drama but It was not as bad as some say.

Darren
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing it did do.....made me feel really old! seeing all those well known Actors from the past, and how well they had (or had not ! ) aged well / badly !!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. I had high expectations for Boomers, but sadly it wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be. Sure, there were a couple of witty one-liners and amusing jokes, but I felt that it was more comedy drama than the sitcom it was purported to be.

People are desperate to see new comedies, and more importantly, comedies that are actually funny. Yesterday, a repeat of Mrs Brown's Boys was the highest rated programme of the night on BBC1. Surely, Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda cannot be the only comedy successes of the last decade!
    I never have them with BEEB Comedies, these days, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one - it was funny.
    Hells teeth, Victor's been gone since 2000, it's time to move on surely.
    Sadly BEEB Comedies have gone backwards since then.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,684
    Forum Member
    I think the series will work better if the viewers regularly interacts with the age group that's portrayed in the series.

I work at a fairly old fashioned run firm, the three directors are 71, 68 and 62 respectively and I saw a lot of them in the characters in Boomers.

I will certainly give it another go on Friday as I enjoyed episode one.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hells teeth, Victor's been gone since 2000, it's time to move on surely.

If Boomers is "moving on", I'll stick, thank you
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up

I quite liked it actuallly. Alison Steadman reminds me of my own mother so I found it all rather entertaining.

Will tune in again next week
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this because it had a good cast but the first episode was poor imo. I will watch the next couple of episodes to see if it improves and I really hope it does.
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent cast and a few chuckle moments, hopefully the first episode was setting the scene and it'll get better with the subsequent episodes.

I never thought I'd write this but . . . . . . I thought "Russ Abbot's 'looking good' " :o:D
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I watched this not expecting a great deal, and I thought it was good. It wasn't rib breakingly laugh out loud, but it was funny in places. I really saw my parents in a few of the scenes, especially the parking the car section as my Mum does the same thing. She won't park unless you can fit a tank in the space. As others have said - its more observational comedy, which I like.

Sorry to quote you ravenborough, but for me I would rather have toothache than watch Mrs Brown Boys or Miranda. It isn't my sort of comedy.

Maybe Im getting old ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked it, not laugh out loud funny from start to finish but I think it could be a winner. I think Stephanie Beecham does comedy well, I liked her as the lewd Lorraine Chain in Trollied so nice to see her back in a sitcom.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't really paid much attention to any pre-publicity, but thought the cast looked promising. I turned it on quite near the end, but liked the look of it enough to make me switch to iPlayer to watch it from the beginning. I had absolutely no preconceptions, but it kept me amused and entertained in the same way as Benidorm. I will definitely watch it again.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't bad and I will watch the next one. Alison Steadman playing Alison Steadman. Lovely to see Inspector Japp. A few chuckles but nothing ground-breaking. The Lithuanian trophy wife was nicely written and played.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Well I'm the wrong demographic, if Baby Boomers is the show's demographic.
    I'm also the wrong demographic for most of the Radio 4 comedy I listen to.

I'm 'baby boomer' age at 62 and I didn't find it remotely funny. Radio 4 comedy shows aren't usually funny either but they tend to aim them at a younger audience.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm the wrong demographic, if Baby Boomers is the show's demographic.
    I'm also the wrong demographic for most of the Radio 4 comedy I listen to.
    diablo wrote: »
    I'm 'baby boomer' age at 62 and I didn't find it remotely funny. Radio 4 comedy shows aren't usually funny either but they tend to aim them at a younger audience.

When you look up the writer, producer, director on IMDB, it's quite clear that none of them are qualified to write for a "boomer" aged audience. They all seem to be intheir 30s or 40s, so at best they have a few second-hand experiences to draw on and at worst, they are working through some parent issues from their own lives.

But in that respect it's no worse that most shows, though: where the production staff base the whole thing on anecdotes, what "everybody" knows, and how they think it should be - rather than on any qualification or real-life experience they have - or could (if they could be bothered) have researched quite easily.

But, as you say, it's written for a younger audience (probably with the same parent issues :D ) and as such doesn't have to be realistic: just so long as the people who watch it believe the same stereotypes as the writers have - and are perpetuating.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit run of the mill so far. An OAP referring to Skype/any new technology; a cocky ex-pat; a younger wife etc. It feels like I've seen it all before in various sketches.

Yeah, the parts with the eastern european younger wife were particularly cringeworthy. Very cliched.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Norfolk's only west facing resort" surely that's Hunstanton.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    "Norfolk's only west facing resort" surely that's Hunstanton.

Yes that title does belong to the lovely town of Hunstanton.

Does anyone know where they filmed the outdoor scenes for this?
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,948
    Forum Member
    Herne Bay I think
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    Herne Bay I think

Ah right, thanks :)
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No better in episode 2. Two laughs thanks to June Whitfield.Only redeeming character.
    Terrible script and overacting.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found tonight's much funnier than last week's - not that that was difficult.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dire!

Good cast, poor direction and a tediously boring script fit for the bin. Typical PC BBC 'comedy' where the only the elderly character can be the butt of the jokes, just surprised that a minority character hasn't appeared yet.

Who commissioned this rubbish? A criminal waste of acting talent.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is such potential for a concept like this and they have a great cast. However, apart from the odd good line, its not hitting the spot for me. The first rule for me is to like the characters, and thus far Im indifferent to them all, and that doesn't translate to many laughs.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,948
    Forum Member
    I thought it started well, but then drifted. Worth watching, if only for the appearance of the wonderful June Whitfield.