Anyone recently flown with easyjet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
Forum Member
✭✭
I am flying with them this week and am only taking an on board bag, no checked in luggage. They have newish rules re bags now. My bag ticks all the boxes but it seems you can only take 1 bag only, not even a handbag as well. So does this mean you can't take any duty free bags?

I only want to buy some toiletries from Boots (because a woman can't be expected to last 3 days on a few 100ml pots ;-) )

Sorry yes I have looked at the website but can't find an answer.

Comments

• ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't flown recently but when I did travel with them in early October, they did allow multiple duty free bags. I think I carried three onto the plane and stowed them under the seat in front.
    They are quite strict on carry on luggage and I have seen them go down the line queuing at the gates telling people about their one bag policy but I think that varies from flight to flight. Sometimes I've seen it happen, other times not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't flown recently but when I did travel with them in early October, they did allow multiple duty free bags. I think I carried three onto the plane and stowed them under the seat in front.
    They are quite strict on carry on luggage and I have seen them go down the line queuing at the gates telling people about their one bag policy but I think that varies from flight to flight. Sometimes I've seen it happen, other times not.

Aghh thats brilliant, thanks. Multiple bags you say!!! Ohhhhh :)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not multiple bags from departure lounge retailers :
    Find out what items are allowed in the cabin in addition to your one cabin bag allowance
    Other items you’re allowed in the cabin include: an overcoat, shawl, umbrella, crutches or walking frame/stick and one standard size bag of duty free goods from the departure airport. This is in addition to the one item allowance.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/cabin-baggage (click down arrow at 'more information.....).

Strictly speaking, if you're flying from the UK to another EU country, there's no such thing as duty free .... because taxes were going to be harmonised...

I think gate staff will show a bit leniency if there's plenty of space on a plane, but you can't rely on this being the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    One hand luggage and one duty free bag
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I really will have just the 1 carrier bag from Boots.

Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Well I really will have just the 1 carrier bag from Boots.

Thank you.

To be honest, I think you're taking a chance doing that. In the first place, what's "standard" about a Boots plastic bag? And secondly, the goods aren't duty free. I don't think the latter point is important, but it's a way of defining a size of bag.

If the flight were full, it's quite possible the gate staff would insist on your cabin case going in the hold - at your expense.

Would it be possible for you to leave some space in your case so that you could put the toiletries in there : at least between the gate and the plane. :)

Alternatively, a coat of many pockets. I have a gilet (as I think it's called) which will take my iPad and my Kindle, wallet, coins, passport, etc.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can be very inflexible - which is fair enough because their policy is clear. I had to find a way of fitting the contents of a carrier bag into my cabin baggage. I wouldn't risk it.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.Vecchio wrote: »

Flew recently to Krakow with easy-jet , excellent flight , had one hand baggage and bought sandwiches air side onto plane on another bag no problems at all , on way back had 1 duty free bag with 2 bottles in it no problem.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I flew back from Belfast with Easyjet and they were very strict about the one bag rule.

I had four carrier bags, a handbag, and a backpack which all had to be condensed into one bag. I achieved it by wearing a fleece that I had in the backpack together with my jacket and squeezing my handbag into the elasticated pouch on the backpack. I was trussed up like a turkey!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's two bags. I can't emphasise how strict the one bag policy is. Don't assume that just because it is duty free that you won't be expected to reduce it to one bag on boarding.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    Don't assume that just because it is duty free that you won't be expected to reduce it to one bag on boarding.

There's no need to assume anything - simply read the information in the link to easyJet's own website which was provided by jsmith99 in post #4.
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    To be honest, I think you're taking a chance doing that. In the first place, what's "standard" about a Boots plastic bag? And secondly, the goods aren't duty free. I don't think the latter point is important, but it's a way of defining a size of bag.

If the flight were full, it's quite possible the gate staff would insist on your cabin case going in the hold - at your expense.

The last bit is totally wrong, if the flight is full they ask for volunteers first to put carry on bags in the hold, if not enough come forward then they will insist that so many at the back of the queue put their bags in the hold, you can take out valuables first, I should know been there and got the t shirt, but it is free should it happen :)
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is that if you try and take on more than one cabin bag and a duty free bag (ie not stuff bought from ordinary airport retailers or a bag you've brought with you), you might be asked to fit everything into your cabin bag. If you can't do this you'll have two bags and one will have to go into the hold and be paid for. And if, by fitting everything into your cabin bag, the size limit is exceeded, you might be told it has to go into the hold, and again you'll have to pay.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Go with the rules not the flexibility, Flexibility is at peoples discretion based on that particular person and flight and can't be used as an excuse to get away with more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scuby wrote: »
    .....................The last bit is totally wrong, if the flight is full they ask for volunteers first to put carry on bags in the hold, if not enough come forward then they will insist that so many at the back of the queue put their bags in the hold, you can take out valuables first, I should know been there and got the t shirt, but it is free should it happen :)

You seem to be talking about passengers with a single cabin bag. I was talking about someone with a cabin bag and a large plastic bag containing goods bought in the shops. The two situations are completely different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    There's no need to assume anything - simply read the information in the link to easyJet's own website which was provided by jsmith99 in post #4.

On my flight back from Belfast there was a very strict one bag only policy. No ifs. no buts, no maybes.

If you want to take a chance and load yourself like a donkey, feel free.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    On my flight back from Belfast there was a very strict one bag only policy. No ifs. no buts, no maybes.

If you want to take a chance and load yourself like a donkey, feel free.

So we should take your singular, possibly misinterpreted experience over the Easyjet website?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am now worried.

This trip was very unexpected and very last minute, only booked on Sunday.

Because I was not expecting to find £150 airfare in December with 2 birthdays and Christmas i honestly can't afford to pay for hold baggage. I know I can manage with my cabin bag its the toiletries that are a pain. I have limited time so don't want to be visiting shops at my destination. I just persumed I could take 100ml of toiletries and then buy whatever I needed from Boots before boarding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So I wonder why they bother having all the shops at the airport now.

My one duty free bag will be from Boots with makeup and similar in it. Surely that will be allowded on but I know it won't fit in my cabin bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we should take your singular, possibly misinterpreted experience over the Easyjet website?

Yes. Unless you are willing to either dump some of your stuff or pay to have it put into the hold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I wonder why they bother having all the shops at the airport now.

My one duty free bag will be from Boots with makeup and similar in it. Surely that will be allowded on but I know it won't fit in my cabin bag.

How much makeup do you need for goodness sake!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much makeup do you need for goodness sake!

:blush: A fair wack. No its shower gel, shampoo and all that. You can't get much in those100ml pots.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you're flying to Outer Mongolia or somewhere equally remote, wouldn't it be easier to buy what you need when you get there?

Sorry just read up there^^ Your destination airport will have shops too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Unless you're flying to Outer Mongolia or somewhere equally remote, wouldn't it be easier to buy what you need when you get there?

Sorry just read up there^^ Your destination airport will have shops too.

It will but I don't want to waste my limited time in shops. I am visiting my brother who I have not seen for 6 years. Time is precious.
  • scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will but I don't want to waste my limited time in shops. I am visiting my brother who I have not seen for 6 years. Time is precious.

How long does it take just to get a few items? I'm sure your brother will understand.