Options

Christmas TV this year is terrible!

Comments

• Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    It probably is as it would have been filmed sometime before they went out of business in 2013.

Was 2012 when they went bust! And that was just before Christmas 2012.

ITV breaking an unwritten rule of presentation - ensure the transmission tape (or, if a live programme, the production team in the studio) are clean of any adverts, including sponsor slots, or channel presentation. Not only does that allow for regional variants, they can also avoid situations like this.

If a live show, ensure the transmission galleries, and not the studio production gallery, are the only people who have the ability to play out presentation material.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Every year without fail there are threads moaning about Xmas telly.

It's 2014, you've presumably got a broadband web connection, you've probably got DVD box sets, multi-channel TV which can be easily recorded from.
    Read a book, play a board game. Fill your belly.

Prepare! I've made sure that I've got DVDs and stuff recorded/downloaded off the telly; lots of books.

It's not 1978 when 'everybody' was watching Morecambe & Wise' - because there wasn't much choice.

Xmas telly's always been a bit crap - miserable 'Eastenders' in 93 with the Irish bloke trying to commit suicide; Arthur Fowler having a breakdown a few Xmas' earlier (86).
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is certainly not many films on today as in Christmas day. I enjoyed Toy Story 3 yesterday and I am going try and find some films to watch during the rest of the week.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    There is certainly not many films on today as in Christmas day. I enjoyed Toy Story 3 yesterday and I am going try and find some films to watch during the rest of the week.

Puss in boots wasn't that great. It has to bethe weakest Christmas day movie on BBC 1 for years. I dont know why the BBC didnt show The Muppets today as it is a really good movie
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is there no The Royle Family this year?
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Why is there no The Royle Family this year?

The 2012 special was on the other day.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I am looking back with rose coloured glasses but TV was definitely better at Christmas when I was a child with 4 channels, Did I hear on the radio 70% of BBC 's content this Christmas is repeats?
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there a Royale Family special this year?
  • Options
    bobgobbobgob Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good movies on.
    The kids were entertained by Frozen ,Puss In Boots and Noah.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how can they not show xmas vaction one of the best xmas movies ever
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No my TV has not gone on yet much prefer the Radio.

And when it does it will be because i want to watch In betweeners 2 film on demand.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    there's live cricket on Sky Sports.........
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    there's live cricket on Sky Sports.........

There is and not only on sky sports.;-)
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will never be satisfied with xmas tv so what's the point complaining?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are on the look out for a "social event", and TV is hardly doing that. Lot's of programmes of course, but do they shout "social event!"?. The soaps are not mainstream anymore, Dr Who isn't the draw it was.

Each year it's slightly worse. How do these people (in charge) keep their jobs?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    QI just about to start on BBC2........I'm off to watch that

I think it's a new one.......if it's a repeat I'll be back in 2 minutes......
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Puss in boots wasn't that great. It has to bethe weakest Christmas day movie on BBC 1 for years. I dont know why the BBC didnt show The Muppets today as it is a really good movie
    There was a muppets film on some time (yesterday or today), not on the BBC but on one of the freeview channels.

Just checked, The Muppets Christmas Carol was on C4 yesterday. Does it matter that it wasn't the BBC? :confused:
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    People are on the look out for a "social event", and TV is hardly doing that. Lot's of programmes of course, but do they shout "social event!"?. The soaps are not mainstream anymore, Dr Who isn't the draw it was.

Each year it's slightly worse. How do these people (in charge) keep their jobs?

Totally agree with you.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started to watch Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty about Richard II on catch up but I dozed off half way through (too full of turkey and gammon) and now I am out of time to watch it again :(
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Downtown Abbey is still on....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    There was a muppets film on some time (yesterday or today), not on the BBC but on one of the freeview channels.

Just checked, The Muppets Christmas Carol was on C4 yesterday. Does it matter that it wasn't the BBC? :confused:

I meant that the BBC could have shown the 2011 muppets movie on Christmas day but have decided to premiere it on Monday instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched documentary channel mostly. Football on later today though:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Watched documentary channel mostly. Football on later today though:)

Boxing Day football is brilliant 3 premier league games back to back.

Starting with

Chelsea v West Ham on Sky Sports 1

Followed by
    Man united v Newcastle &
    Arsenal v QPR
    on BT Sports 1

There is also Watford v Wolves on Sky at 5.15

Great line up for footy fans. There is also darts on Sky Sports as well
  • Options
    MrsCloumboMrsCloumbo Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas TV has taken the piss this year in its absolute ****ing awfulness
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead?