Is There Any Point In Praying?

Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone here actually think that praying has 'worked' for them?

What happens if you fervently believe in praying, and do so often, but what you have prayed for doesn't come to pass?

I'm not talking about praying for materialistic objects here, I'm talking about praying for health, relationships, etc.

I'm not religious but occasionally feel the need to say a prayer - which is odd because I consider myself to be a fatalist - what is the point in praying if you believe 'what will be will be'?

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

:)

Comments

• burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Praying is a selfish act and I would have thought that it is an act that should be discouraged by God because people only pray when they want something for themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Praying is a selfish act and I would have thought that it is an act that should be discouraged by God because people only pray when they want something for themselves.

By that token everything you do is selfish since you only do things to get a desired outcome. So therefore calling things "selfish" in that context becomes meaningless since everything is "selfish".
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    none whatsoever.
  • System CrashSystem Crash Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prayer cannot be properly objectively tested.

Most attempts at testing the "power of prayer" have come up neutral, i.e. it does not seem to have an effect overall.

What I would say is that, since it doesn't hurt anyone, you might as well do it if you are inclined towards it in the first place. Who knows?

Personally I don't but then I'm an agnostic.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garcia wrote: »
    By that token everything you do is selfish since you only do things to get a desired outcome. So therefore calling things "selfish" in that context becomes meaningless since everything is "selfish".

Not necessarily because you could pray for somebody else, such as praying for an ill person to recover or praying for victims of a devastated area to get help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it probably comforts the people who do it. It's quite lucky for religious people as far as I can see.

Prayers "apparently" answered - e.g. sick relative recovers = Hurray for the power of God's love!

Prayers unanswered and sick relative gets worse/dies = It was God's Will.

They have a get-out clause for if the prayers work or not. That in itself must be comforting.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The saying that, "there are no Atheists in foxholes on the battlefield", comes to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily because you could pray for somebody else, such as praying for an ill person to recover or praying for victims of a devastated area to get help.

True. And presumably those would be good things to pray for.

I agree that *just* praying for yourself is selfish, but I wouldn't call praying for yourself selfish.

E.g. feeding yourself isn't selfish. But feeding yourself whilst your neighbour starves is selfish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    The saying that, "there are no Atheists in foxholes on the battlefield", comes to mind.

Then again, if an atheist only finds God during times of war, and loses his faith afterwards, how is that any good?
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No point in praying. Why waste words and breath? There is no god, so asking for help for someone or something is a pointless and stupid act.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only point is if it makes the person doing the praying feel better.
    It doesn't actually have any effect on what they're praying for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No point in praying. Why waste words and breath? There is no god, so asking for help for someone or something is a pointless and stupid act.

However, some people have found that their personal experience has taught them otherwise.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is more than one kind of prayer, you know. It isn't all about shopping lists. That is a very juvenile idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

I would agree with this, with the caveat that more testing is needed.

Probably won't result in anything but might as well.

Who knows, there may be some kind of unknown psychological effect that increases mental health/wellbeing? Or something similar.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have asked a Christian friend in the past to pray for me. I was in so much pain I thought anything was worth a go. I know, it doesn't really make sense, but I was desperate.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have asked a Christian friend in the past to pray for me. I was in so much pain I thought anything was worth a go. I know, it doesn't really make sense, but I was desperate.

Do you think it 'worked'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you mean "worked", or worked?
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who knows...I have a very painful condition which comes as goes and is notoriously difficult to treat. Perhaps her prayer worked temporarily. Perhaps my condition is my punishment for being a non-believer!
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »

Of course; that would explain why casualties in the First World War where so light.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I think anyone who thinks their prayers have been answered (literally) is arrogant. With all the people out there dying of starvation or malnutrition or cancer or AIDS or whatever, to think that some all-powerful creator decided to listen to your particular plea is deluded.

Not that I believe in an all-powerful creator, but even if I did.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    People pray in different ways, and for things that are both personal and more general. If it gives them a sense of comfort, and helps others who know they are being prayed for, then I don't see a problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member

No it is not.

People pray for comfort. There are times when people need comfort and turn to god.

I don't see anything selfish about that.

Plus most people who pray to god pray because they believe not because they want something.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

I do agree with this (and I'm Catholic) the only times I've truly prayed is when I came out to myself and wanted proof that it was ok to be gay and that God had no problem with it. Next day my RE teacher stood up for gay rights (I took that as proof :o). I prayed for my dad's health when he had cancer, and for my mum's happiness (there's alot going on in her family) since I hated seeing her down and losing hope.

I know the doctors and medicine made my dad better, but without his faith would he have had the courage to fight on?

I think that's what prayer is for, to comfort oneself and help them get through something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Fella on the train , he gets on at Bolton & he reads the Quran everyday, still doesnt make the train roll into Piccadilly any sooner , one chap bless him was on his bike shouting 'praise to Allah' & the chain broke on his bike. I can only think that this higher authority that people decide to follow certainly has a sense of humour or is as deaf as a post.

Face Mecca , pray to whoever, sun will always rise & set & the tides will come in & out & no amount of 'praying' will alter it.

:)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not religious so I don't believe there is a God to pray to that will grant our prayers, but I do believe that perhaps praying is like meditating, and it may help in that it focuses our minds on the thing we are praying about.