Geri Halliwell

Comments

• artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Oh, sorry, I thought the X Factor were looking for acts that could go on to sell millions of records?
    Acts with 'The X Factor', potential global stars.

There are thousands of technically brilliant singers on the pub circuits and busking on the subway.

Takes more than that darling. Geri has been there done that and got the Union Jack T Shirt - more than qualified.

Not really - she hasn't managed much for the last decade.

She is the female Peter Andre.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she rush to deny it, Jason? Or do you think that she was pleased (desperate for) the publicity - fake story or not?

I suspect, buzzwords aside, that they both thought it would be funny to say nothing and let people speculate. Brand's humour is very often misinterpreted as something more sinister in these forums .. as i said, they've been friends for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect, buzzwords aside, that they both thought it would be funny to say nothing and let people speculate. Brand's humour is very often misinterpreted as something more sinister in these forums .. as i said, they've been friends for years.

Yeah...that must be it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah...that must be it.

Ohh, i can feel the sarcasm just bursting out of my monitor ;)

It could be any number of things, obviously, but I'm simply offering my opinion based on having read his autobiography and having been a fan of his for many years and knowing that they've been friends for a long time.

But hey, horses for courses and all that. You dislike him, you'll believe one thing, you don't, you'll believe another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohh, i can feel the sarcasm just bursting out of my monitor ;)

It could be any number of things, obviously, but I'm simply offering my opinion based on having read his autobiography and having been a fan of his for many years and knowing that they've been friends for a long time.

But hey, horses for courses and all that. You dislike him, you'll believe one thing, you don't, you'll believe another.

Actually, it's her I dislike, and she is a media ****.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put her in the same category as Jodie Marsh - carcrash DS fodder for us all to point at and laugh at.

A shameless self promoter who thinks the loud expression of controversial opinions - or any opinion - is her raison detre and people love that and her because she is "feisty" and "strong"

In actual fact she is as mad as a cut snake.

Watch her eyes in some interviews. They are in the far distance as she comes at with the most ridiculous pseudo interllectual bon mots that even her dog is embarassed about

"Looookkk at me...because I'm a drama queen..."
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever so slightly slanderous there ..

Who did i slander, i was talking about females in the industry?

Whatever it is, i know you'd hate to admit it - but it goes on and its very true.

Remember "Baby" from said group was extremely close to SF ;)
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, sorry, I thought the X Factor were looking for acts that could go on to sell millions of records?
    Acts with 'The X Factor', potential global stars.

There are thousands of technically brilliant singers on the pub circuits and busking on the subway.

Takes more than that darling. Geri has been there done that and got the Union Jack T Shirt - more than qualified.

The judging panel are there to critique the auditionees' singing. Which is why I find it laughable that the likes of Geri Halliwell and Cheryl Cole have been on the panel.

The whole X-Factor set-up is wrong. What they should be doing is looking for talented singers with star quality who could have viable careers. Unfortunately, they insult the viewers' intelligence with weeks of crap auditions and, when it comes to putting people through to the latter stages, it's often a case of style over substance - hence the often distinctly average people who get through because they warble their way through a song, rather than singing it as written.

There was a girl last night murdering Bridge Over Troubled Water while the judges seemed to be having a group orgasm over it! To me, she was just adding extra notes and trying to sing it Gospel style, while actually sounding off-pitch in places. There was no soul in her voice and because she was adding extra notes all over the place and not staying on any note long enough, it was hard to tell if she could actually pitch notes correctly.

I think they should go back to basics with the early auditions and get people to sing unaccompanied and to sing the song as written, without warbles and vocal acrobatics. I'd also like to see a vocal coach on the judging panel. It's hard to take anyone seriously who sees having a musical theatre style voice as a bad thing, brands people as 'pub singers'/'cruise ship singers' (which is ironic, given that Jennifer Hudson started out as a cruise ship singer and many successful singers started out doing the pub/club circuit or have worked on cruise ships before getting their big break) or puts Frankie Cocozza through to the live shows over much more talented lads, then, when the chance arises to boot him off the show in week 1, it isn't taken.

Yes, singing isn't just about being technically perfect. As you say, many singers aren't. However, they do put emotion and passion into their performances and many have interesting and distinctive voices. Geri Halliwell isn't technically proficient and she doesn't have an interesting or distinctive voice. Record sales don't necessarily equate to talent (Mr Blobby got to number 1 back in the day), so it's daft to use them to try and prove Geri Halliwell's vocal talent.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What with The Olympics, The X Factor and her friendship with Brand suddenly a front page 'romance', there does seem to be an awful lot of publicity around Geri at the moment. ;)

Funny that. There's a lot she want's to publicise!

Viva Forever the Musical, which Geri is extremely passionate about, is opening in November.

and she has new solo music very very soon....

"I am Geri Halliwell and Geri Halliwell knows what she is doing"

Of course its all managed and part of a longterm campaign.

A lot of people think they make these stunts up day by day, they do if the celebrities come up with stuff off the cuff or just get lucky and the press latch onto something, but the usual case is that they do actually sit in offices and have meetings about what to do, with who and when.
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Yes, singing isn't just about being technically perfect. As you say, many singers aren't. However, they do put emotion and passion into their performances and many have interesting and distinctive voices. Geri Halliwell isn't technically proficient and she doesn't have an interesting or distinctive voice.

It's just too easy to jump on the old bandwagon that most of The Spice Girls can't sing. Baaa.

Geri has a limited range, but she can sing in tune and does have a distinctive and interesting vocal tone.

She is extremely passionate about her music and writes her lyrics from the heart.

She bangs her own drum - some think it's noise - I think it's pretty!
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    Yes, singing isn't just about being technically perfect. As you say, many singers aren't. However, they do put emotion and passion into their performances and many have interesting and distinctive voices. Geri Halliwell isn't technically proficient and she doesn't have an interesting or distinctive voice. Record sales don't necessarily equate to talent (Mr Blobby got to number 1 back in the day), so it's daft to use them to try and prove Geri Halliwell's vocal talent.

It does to Simon Cowell. lol
    But I don't think he cares about talent, as long as something's marketable and can make him lots of £££££'s. Or should that be $$$$$$'s now

Although Geri writes alot of her own material, so that possibly makes her more talented than most X Factor acts.
    She was a complete diva - "I'm better than you Gary!!"

Could see why she didn't get the gig.

Surely that was just fun banter? Gary was giving it back saying that Spice Girls copied Take That.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How well timed that the story about her and Russell appeared after The Olympic Closing ceremony but before her appearance on The X Factor, now the Paparazzi is putting her in the DM....She is a real publicity ****...
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find her sexy and the fact she's a gold digger and dated millionaires adds to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

Also, to the OP, a great singer she may not be, but she is undeniably successful.

She's sold more records than anyone else on that panel by a country mile.

At least she has more talent than Kerry Katona :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I find her sexy and the fact she's a gold digger and dated millionaires adds to it.

Geri is hardly a gold digger - she's made her own fortune.

She's never dated Aristos for their money...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    How well timed that the story about her and Russell appeared after The Olympic Closing ceremony but before her appearance on The X Factor, now the Paparazzi is putting her in the DM....She is a real publicity ****...

I hate the term 'publicity ****'.. it's so vulgar.

"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

She's always known how to use the press to her advantage..
    She just wants to give any project she is involved in the best possible chance of success.

I call that savvy.

And look, it's worked pretty well so far!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the term 'publicity ****'.. it's so vulgar.

I agree, but it's the buzzword of the "everything is fake" crowd so you'll see it a lot on the Showbiz forum ..
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice how daily she's getting snapped since her showmance with Russell Brand?:rolleyes:

Attention seeking is what she excels in, always has, always will :yawn::sleep:

Didn't Robbie Williams once casll her a demonic child?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Robbie Williams once casll her a demonic child?:D

Didn't Liam Gallagher once call Robbie Williams a fat dancer from Take That?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Liam Gallagher once call Robbie Williams a fat dancer from Take That?

That doesn't alter the fact that his opinion of her, as someone with intimate knowledge of her, is that she is self-obsessed, shallow, demanding and a demonic child.

He should know.

Whether you like the phrase or not, Halliwell is a mediawhore. She is a couple of places higher up the food chain than Peter Andre, but there is very little difference between them in terms of talent for anything other than self-promotion. Often based on who they are dating/not dating or whatever trite inanity (that they consider deep, meaningful and profound) has fallen out of their gob.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't alter the fact that his opinion of her, as someone with intimate knowledge of her, is that she is self-obsessed, shallow, demanding and a demonic child.

He should know.

Whether you like the phrase or not, Halliwell is a mediawhore. She is a couple of places higher up the food chain than Peter Andre, but there is very little difference between them in terms of talent for anything other than self-promotion. Often based on who they are dating/not dating or whatever trite inanity (that they consider deep, meaningful and profound) has fallen out of their gob.

Firstly, Geri and Robbie were only close friends for a very short period of time in her life, a time when Geri was suffering from a pretty intense eating disorder, depression and other issues.

Geri is not perfect, she can be self obsessed, she can be intense, but anyone who knows her, through the highs and the lows, the good times and the bad, her heart is well and truly in the right place. And she has a big heart.

It's incredibly harsh to label her as just this shallow, self absorbed woman.

For every shallow, self promoting PR stunt that she has pulled, she has done even more for good causes.
    As a UN Goodwill Ambassador, promoting maternal healthcare awareness, visiting underprivileged children living on landfill sites in Manilla or promoting awareness of HIV and AIDS in Zambia.
    Or her role as a Breast Cancer Care Patron for whom she has raised millions of dollars over the last 10 years.

Secondly, the main difference between Geri Halliell and Peter Andre is that Geri has sold almost 90 million records... lol.
    She is cemented in pop culture history as Union Jack Dress wearing, Royal bottom pinching 90's icon and Spice Girl.

Peter, although, actually, he can sing and dance well, despite being an irritant, is not a part of global pop culture history.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He should know.

This this this!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think it says more about Robbie than Geri that he made that comment. Geri could have said a lot worse about him....

But that's not her style.

You never hear Geri tattling to the press about anyone, professionally or personally.

Whilst Melanie C, Mel B and Victoria were all publicly slating her in the early 00's, Geri kept quiet and always spoke fondly of them all, their music and her time as a Spice Girl.

Same with Robbie, she has never said a bad word about him when she really could have.

Anyway, Robbie has since publicly stated that he regrets making that comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, Geri and Robbie were only close friends for a very short period of time in her life, a time when Geri was suffering from a pretty intense eating disorder, depression and other issues.

Geri is not perfect, she can be self obsessed, she can be intense, but anyone who knows her, through the highs and the lows, the good times and the bad, her heart is well and truly in the right place. And she has a big heart.

It's incredibly harsh to label her as just this shallow, self absorbed woman.

For every shallow, self promoting PR stunt that she has pulled, she has done even more for good causes.
    As a UN Goodwill Ambassador, promoting maternal healthcare awareness, visiting underprivileged children living on landfill sites in Manilla or promoting awareness of HIV and AIDS in Zambia.
    Or her role as a Breast Cancer Care Patron for whom she has raised millions of dollars over the last 10 years.

Secondly, the main difference between Geri Halliell and Peter Andre is that Geri has sold almost 90 million records... lol.
    She is cemented in pop culture history as Union Jack Dress wearing, Royal bottom pinching 90's icon and Spice Girl.

Peter, although, actually, he can sing and dance well, despite being an irritant, is not a part of global pop culture history.

So, what you are saying is...no-one can have an opinion on her except you?

She, in my, and many other's opinion, cannot sing. She can't act (Sex and the City, anyone? :eek:) she is too self absorbed to make a good judge (hence her never getting the gig, no matter how many taxis she climbs on).

She has no record contract, no credibility and is reduced to using a three day shag as a way to get the media attention she needs, and so desperately believes she deserves.

Oh, and no-one took her seriously as a UN ambassador from the moment she uttered the words "I choose life" when she was supposed to be promoting contraception.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is reduced to using a three day shag as a way to get the media attention she needs, and so desperately believes she deserves.

I think the Olympics performance, watched by billions of people around the world garnered a fair few headlines... :rolleyes:
    Oh, and no-one took her seriously as a UN ambassador from the moment she uttered the words "I choose life" when she was supposed to be promoting contraception.

She didn't say that at the official press call.
    ..A press call that she did not know she would be speaking at as she was told that it was a photo call.
    She had a matter of minutes to compile a speech that would go out to the world's press as her first major event since leaving the Spice Girls.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you are confused rather than deliberately being malicious.

You must be muddled because she was filmed beforehand discussing what to say, and after realising that 'pro life' had a lot of connotations, although it's pretty clear what she meant, contraception (condoms) reduce the risk of HIV and other life threatening STDs, she decided not to.

Try again.

You seem so bitter for some reason. You're not Lianne Morgan by any chance are you? Or Jenny perhaps.

For all the names that you are calling her, and the amount of effort you are putting into proving that she is an awful person, Geri isn't the one sitting at home writing venomous pish about someone that you really don't know.

I would love to know how much time, money and effort you have put into raising awareness and charity work in your life.