Family films

Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
Forum Member
My kids are 10 and 8 and I'm always looking for family film ideas for older kids. Recommend me some please!

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monsters Inc
    ET
    Shrek
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super 8 was quite good.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.imdb.com/list/EqE_ozOKS4Y/

Quite a good list of 'family friendly action films'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My kids are 10 and 8 and I'm always looking for family film ideas for older kids. Recommend me some please!

So what ones have you chosen to watch?
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Stardust
    Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Were rabbit
    Zathura
    Jurassic Park
    Lion King
    The Mask
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the original version with Gene Wilder. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    10 and 8 may be a bit old for a Disney film but I really enjoyed Lady and The Tramp and the original animated 101 Dalmations which I sat and watched with my grand children.
    Other family films:
    The Parent Trap
    Camp Nowhere
    ET
    Are We There Yet
    Uncle Buck
    King Ralph
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Flyer
    The Goonies
    The NeverEnding Story
    Willow
    The Wolves of Willboughy Chase
    Jumanji
    Home Alone
    The Sandlot Kids
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks
    The Witches
    Big
    Labyrinth
    Now and Then
    The Rescuers
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If you don't like your young children hearing swear words then don't see Super 8, it's only once but a character uses the word f**k which I thought was too strong for the film and have no idea why they put it in.

I know some people think it's not nice to be watching a film that was advertised as a family film more or less(even reviews calling it so) and to have a character suddenly using the word f**k in such a film. So thought I'd point that out just in case you don't want the 'surprise' of it. Also quite a few shits and so on.

If you don't mind your children seeing that, then Super 8 is perfect. Wouldn't call it a family film in the same vein as say The Goonies, or E.T that it has been compared to.
  • princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (original) :)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Thanks, a few classics there that they love and some they haven't seen. Bookmarking this thread for a rainy day!
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Swiss Family Robinson
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Jumanji
    Cool Runnings
    Matilda
    The Iron Giant
    Small Soldiers
    Hook
    Operation Dumbo Drop
    Mousehunt
    Harriet The Spy
    We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story
    Paulie
    Hocus Pocus
    Dunston Checks In
    That Darn Cat
    FernGully: The Last Rainforest
    A Simple Wish
    The Indian In The Cupboard
    Monkey Trouble
    Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fly away home
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any of the film versions of roald dahl's childrens' books. they are excellent childrens' stories. wonka already mentioned, also james and giant peach, matilda, etc (you might even get them reading the books!) ......

also the 60s and 70s disney films. some already mentioned. i would add summer magic and swiss family robinson. swiss is good movie but also good laugh for adults since in 3 days they build a "treehouse" on a deserted island with more mod cons than the average semi .....

5000 fingers of dr t. surreal horror film. about sadistic piano teacher. for children. not just before bedtime .......

.... of the disney classic cartoons bambi and cinderella and dumbo might seem boring now. but i wold recommend pinnocchio ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robin hood. the 40s swashbuckler with american accented errol flynn. and basil rathbone as dastardlysheriff of nottingham. good fun. the art of making such movies has been lost ......

the last starfighter. feelgood sci fi aimed at children. has some good jokes.

the railway children. original lionel jeffries verssion. wonderful film classic.

mary poppins is still wonderful entertanment. superb special effects. and the bit where the cafe waiters are cartoon penguins and start dancing with the humans .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd vote for mousehunt. ingenious and hilarious.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,157
    Forum Member
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    Casper
    The Addams Family/ Values
    Chicken Run
    Flubber
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Dennis the Menace
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the The Chronicles of Narnia films?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the original version with Gene Wilder. :)

Excellent film! That was on channel 5 the other day. Completely forgot to mention that one.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Excellent film! That was on channel 5 the other day. Completely forgot to mention that one.

It's one of my favourite childhood films, I still enjoy watching it now, like the big kid that I am.

I would also like to second the post recommending the other films based on Raold Dahl novels, such as Matilda and James and the Giant Peach. All wonderful films.

There's been some brilliant recommendations here. :)
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flight of the Navigator
    Hocus Pocus
    Forum Member
    This is great, thanks!
    any of the film versions of roald dahl's childrens' books. they are excellent childrens' stories. wonka already mentioned, also james and giant peach, matilda, etc (you might even get them reading the books!) ......

We're big fans of Dahl! Original Wonka is the best for sure. My daughter loves the books too.

Mary Poppins made my smile. My daughter adored that film when she was 2, she watched it most days and was always singing Let's Go Fly a Kite. :D

We like our sci fi, Star Wars and Doctor Who are favourites. I'm not too concerned about swearing, at their age they hear it all in the playground. I'm more concerned about them watching realistically violent films so I avoid them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well ..... good. a film is always about THE STORY. Dalhl mastered the art of being scary, but within a "safe" setting. important for childrens' books. sorta like telling ghost stories round the campfire where you know youre quite safe really ......
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    well ..... good. a film is always about THE STORY. Dalhl mastered the art of being scary, but within a "safe" setting. important for childrens' books. sorta like telling ghost stories round the campfire where you know youre quite safe really ......

Aye. :) We love Tim Burton films too. Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride etc.