Documentary Films

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello

I have recently become quite addicted to documentary films, like Bus 174, Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer, Tarnation, Capturing the Friedmans, Etre et Avoir, Night & Fog, Grizzly Man, Bowling for Colombine and Fahrenheit 9/11 for my university module on Documentary Film Theory - I was wondering if anyone else has seen these films and what you thought of them, and if you had anymore documentary films you've seen that you'd recommend.

Comments

• AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A newer one - Imposter, is pretty good.
  • Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Touching the Void is quality , amazing story.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Touching the Void is quality , amazing story.

Yes, gripping stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grizzly Man. Watched it a few weeks back .Amazing films, guy was a total nutter though.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Size me i really like. A guy has nothing but Mcdonalds for 30 days. It was part of an experiment to show what it does to your body. Very good
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ God, I hated Super Size Me. Sanctimonious, polemic eyewash that plays to the gallery.

One Day in September is good. Concerns the Munich Olympics terrorist attack - as rivetting as any thriller, and certainly worth seeing if you've seen Spielberg's Munich which followed in its wake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Grizzly Man. Watched it a few weeks back .Amazing films, guy was a total nutter though.

That film made me sooo angry :mad:
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters :)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did this list a couple of weeks ago for other forum where it asked for top-20 lists of documentaries made after 2000.

Into the Picture Scroll: The Tale of Yamanaka Tokiwa (a portrait of a young man avenging his mother's death)
    Exit Through the Gift Shop (it follows attempts to track down artist Banksy)
    The Staircase (it journeys through the legal labyrinth of a murder trial)
    The 10th District Court: Moments of Trials (it tracks a French judge's journey through trials for a year)
    Wings of Defeat (filmmaker's journey through interviews to understand why Japanese young men were willing to sign up as 'tokkotai' (kamikaze (god wind) pilots) during WWII)
    Dark Days (a portrait of homeless people living in the tunnels of NYC)
    The Coconut Revolution (the corporate world and guerrilla war for coconut oil)
    The Devil and Daniel Johnston (a portrait of an artist who suffers from mental health issues)
    Crime and Punishment (it tracks the actions of a small-town North Korean police station)
    Darwin's Nightmare (it charts the effects of taking predatory fishes from Tanzania's Lake Victoria on local communities)
    Capturing the Friedmans (a portrait of a screwed-up family)
    Stealing a Nation (it reveals the UK and the US's actions towards the residents of the Chagos islands during the 1960s and 1970s)
    Bus 174 (builds around the high-jacking of a bus in Rio de Janeiro, using live news footage and interviews of those who were there)
    Jesus Camp (a portrait of a summer camp for religious nuts)
    Into the Abyss (a series of interviews with a death row inmate)
    Sins of My Father (the late but still notorious Colombian drug lord's impact on his family)
    Senna (a look at a Formula One racing driver's rise)
    A State of Mind (it tracks two young North Korean girls' preparations for the Mass Games, the world's largest choreographed gymnastics.)
    Devil's Playground (a group of Amish teens in modern world)
    Campaign (it follows the filmmaker's former college roommate, an aspiring politician who's aiming to enter the Japanese political system through a local election)
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Trinity & Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie which shows footage from the first atomic bomb test up to when the Chinese tested their atomic bomb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend the following:

Chronos
    Microcosmos
    Baraka
    Samsara
    Koyaanisqatsi
    Powaqqatsi
    Naqoyqatsi
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alone in the Wilderness is a great one I watched the other day, about a guy who retires from civilisation and builds his own cabin in the Alaskan wilderness. His talent is pretty awe-inspiring and it makes me kind of depressed knowing i'll never achieve anything like that!

any of Herzog's documentaries are worth a watch - the quality varies but he always chooses interesting subjects so they're never a waste of time.

At the Death House Door - about a preacher whose job it was to spend the last hours with those about to be executed some of whom he thought at the time, and were later proven to be innocent.

American Movie - just a classic.

Lost in La Mancha - makes you realise someone up above really has it in for Terry Gilliam