R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Every time.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They even do it when football is on ITV4 where you have to pay Sky to get HD coverage.

They should change it to "fuzzy and free on ITV" for those matches.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a 'dig'

More pointing out that the only place to see live football without subscription is on ITV this season.

No different to various other straplines used by broadcasters advertising their wares.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    They even do it when football is on ITV4 where you have to pay Sky to get HD coverage.

You don't HAVE to pay Sky for HD. We don't. We still get the matches in SD though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    If the BBC we using it would you be complaining? NO! Stop taking a dig at the biggest and best commercial broadcaster in the UK
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    If the BBC we using it would you be complaining? NO! Stop taking a dig at the biggest and best commercial broadcaster in the UK

Channel 4 show football?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't call them the best.........
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    Channel 4 show football?

Channel 4 isn't a "commercial broadcaster" in the market place, it's a state owned non-profit making entity which is funded by advertising.

Tony Benn & Harold Wilson wanted to set up a similarly-funded radio station playing pop music in 1967, but it wouldn't really have been commercial radio.
  • Options
    Andy79Andy79 Posts: 403
    Forum Member

Would love to see BBC (when they cover a live match) call it 'advert free'.

And they should be proud to call themselves 'Chiles-free'
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't HAVE to pay Sky for HD. We don't. We still get the matches in SD though.
    Looks like you didn't read the comment you quoted before replying to it.

It is a bit ironic though when they use this tagline for stuff on ITV4 since the image quality is terrible on Freeview and has also recently been reduced on satellite. Only ITV4 HD is acceptable IMO and, of course, that isn't free.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy79 wrote: »
    Would love to see BBC (when they cover a live match) call it 'advert free'.

And they should be proud to call themselves 'Chiles-free'

I'm sure they have used the phrase "uninterrupted coverage only on the BBC" when they have gone head-to-head with ITV on the same match in the past.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

According to sources the ITV HD channels will be launching on Virgin Media aswell on Thursday, but only in the top XL package.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    I'm sure they have used the phrase "uninterrupted coverage only on the BBC" when they have gone head-to-head with ITV on the same match in the past.
    Yeah I vaguely remember that. These days that's probably restricted to international tournament finals though.
  • Options
    Gerry865Gerry865 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Yes I am fed up with this comment.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I've said the same in other threads like this. Must we have more and more anti BBC and Sky as well as other anti TV channel threads?:confused::confused::confused:
    Ian.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    If the BBC we using it would you be complaining? NO! Stop taking a dig at the biggest and best commercial broadcaster in the

Not sure the words "best & world" should be mentioned when chiles is involved and tydsley will no doubt bang on Bout barca 99 about 100 times
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    According to sources the ITV HD channels will be launching on Virgin Media aswell on Thursday, but only in the top XL package.

I saw that. Good news for Virgin viewers that the new owners have reached an agreement with ITV.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't see the problem with it. Its true isn't it? And its a guy saying five words on tv a few times a day during the football season on ITV.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    factual, concise and alliterative. whats not to like?
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its better than Original British Drama that the BBC constantly pushes. ITV and Channel 4 produce/fund better drama.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It does what it says on the tin so nowt wrong with saying that.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Its better than Original British Drama that the BBC constantly pushes. ITV and Channel 4 produce/fund better drama.

Do they? Really?

I think they're all good to be honest.
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Do they? Really?

I think they're all good to be honest.

Maybe Maybe not, the BBC do produce a few good things but mainly at an older audience. I do like Death in Paradise though. :) ITV and Channel 4 seem to target younger and in the case of Channel 4 with Utopia recently, whens the last time the BBC showed something as polished?

But compared to live and free on ITV, Original British drama is something that we know the BBC does so why do they constantly have to remind us?
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great strapline. Nothing wrong with it at all.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's original, it's British and it's drama. They aren't claiming it is better than C4 or ITV are they?