Options

Slingbox & Tv License

whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry for another question.

I have a slingbox at Location A.
This has a valid tv license.

I watch live tv via a slingbox at Location B through a desktop PC connected to a Large Screen Tv. This location does NOT have a tv license.

There is no aerial/sky/cable at Location B - does Location B need a license or is it covered under Location A's license?

Dave

Comments

• Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigh. This is so simple and explained on the TV Licence website, I don't understand why there's so many posts about it.

Are you watching or recording live broadcasts at location B? If so, you need a TV licence.
  • Options
    Jamie JayJamie Jay Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    How does it work with watching on the phone then on the slingplayer which I do. They cant say I need one in the car, park etc so whats the difference between that and in another house?
  • Options
    Jamie JayJamie Jay Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    From website...

With today’s technology, you can watch TV on more devices than ever, whenever it suits you best. This means a TV Licence doesn’t just cover you to watch TV at home on a TV set. You can also watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, through all of these devices:

Computers, including laptops and tablets
    Mobile phones
    Games consoles
    Digital boxes, e.g. Freeview, Sky, Virgin, BT Vision
    DVD/VHS/Blu-ray recorders.

As long as the address where you live is licensed, you’re also covered to watch TV outside your home using any device powered solely by its own internal batteries. This includes your mobile phone, laptop and tablet.

Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV.

So you are ok if you can watch something with batteries, assuming you also live at the first place. Cant see anyone ever being caught on this one and how about people abroad - no chance.
This discussion has been closed.