Fighting Talk without Colin Murray

rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this, but what a peoples opinions on Fighting Talk now Colin Murray has left?
It looks like there is going to be a guest presenter each week or is this just until they decide who is taking over for good?
I like the new show although Matt Johnson did seem a bit confused at times this week.

Comments

• dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rkid wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this, but what a peoples opinions on Fighting Talk now Colin Murray has left?
    It looks like there is going to be a guest presenter each week or is this just until they decide who is taking over for good?
    I like the new show although Matt Johnson did seem a bit confused at times this week.

A trio of hosts Jonathan Pearce, Christian O'Connell and Matt Johnson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I've no idea who Matt Johnson is and having heard the show I'll be giving it a miss when he is hosting. Great to have the big CoC back in charge, so much better than that bloke who left.
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the best presenter is Christian O'Connell .pity he's so aveage on his other radio show.never listen otherwise.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Connell good, the others poor. Won't bother unless they have very good guests.
  • CaherCaher Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thought the reverse. Unlike 'have I got news for you' I don't think the guest presenter is working at all. Lots of stumbling through pre-written scripts, Murray at least was flowing and his guests really seemed to engage with him.
    I am thinking of talking it off the podcast list.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fighting Talk is so much better without Colin Murray. Much as I loved Fighting Talk I was getting tired of his overbearing style. Shouting down panelists isn't funny. CM seemed to have got the idea FT was all about him.

FT is now much more relaxed, witty, and laugh out loud funny without his in-your-face arrogance. Jonathan Pearce has struggled (too many personal anecdotes), Matt Johnson was poor to begin with but is improving, but Christian O'Connell has been outstanding. His shows have been a delight. I'd prefer it if CO'C hosted every week, but as long as JP doesn't host any more I'll be happy.

Simon Kelner making his return after his serious illness was the icing on the cake.

Colin Who?
  • Donald DallasDonald Dallas Posts: 3,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Fighting Talk is so much better without Colin Murray. Much as I loved Fighting Talk I was getting tired of his overbearing style. Shouting down panelists isn't funny. CM seemed to have got the idea FT was all about him.

FT is now much more relaxed, witty, and laugh out loud funny without his in-your-face arrogance. Jonathan Pearce has struggled (too many personal anecdotes), Matt Johnson was poor to begin with but is improving, but Christian O'Connell has been outstanding. His shows have been a delight. I'd prefer it if CO'C hosted every week, but as long as JP doesn't host any more I'll be happy.

Simon Kelner making his return after his serious illness was the icing on the cake.

Colin Who?

I think you mean 'Martin' - Simon is his brother.

I've only listened sporadically this season and it's great to have Christian back. Didn't hear JP - has he left?

Matt Johnson on the other hand - generally sounds confused. He lost me with 'Defend the un-defendable' in the first week.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JP is currently recovering from pneumonia and pleurisy.

Whenever I've caught the show, it seems to be O'Connell hosting. I've only heard JP and Matt Johnson once each I think.

Not having Colin 'I SUPPORT LIVERPOOL' Murray on is a welcome change.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you mean 'Martin' - Simon is his brother.

I've only listened sporadically this season and it's great to have Christian back. Didn't hear JP - has he left?

Matt Johnson on the other hand - generally sounds confused. He lost me with 'Defend the un-defendable' in the first week.

Yes Martin K, of course. Brain fart. :blush: You're right about Matt Johnson too, I'd forgotten that. Every week "defend the indefensible" seems to confuse him, either in what he calls it or his rambling explanation of how it works. But I thought he had improved in the rest of the show. Why the BBC didn't just give the job to Christian O'Connell full time I don't know. It's as if they put him back in the job on a trial basis.

I thought they'd dropped JP but it seems he's been ill (post above). Seems odd to expect him to host FT then go and commentate on a football match. He's quite entertaining and very knowledgeable, but not quick witted enough for FT.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Why the BBC didn't just give the job to Christian O'Connell full time I don't know.

I think this could happen in the fullness of time, perhaps by the start of next season. Christian O'Connell seems like the logical choice to present Fighting Talk in the wake of Colin Murray. Perhaps he's not available to host it every week given his work at Absolute Radio?

Jonathan Pearce always seemed an odd choice of hosts to me, even on a three-man rotation. He usually commentates on football games for Match of the Day most Saturdays, which must limit the number of programmes he can host. I could see him being a decent panellist once in a blue moon when he has a commentary-free Saturday, but hosting the show multiple times a season doesn't seem to fit that well.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christian O'Connell is so much better than that egomaniac Colin Murray.
  • Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Not that it really matters but is it not broadcast from Salford anymore. Could have swore Ian Stone mentioned being at Broadcasting House last weekend, plus I think I remember JP presenting it one weekend and then commentating on a 3pm kick off at the Emirates on MOTD
  • MJ_ShamoMJ_Shamo Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I still is based at Salford, although more and more it seems to come from London – usually when Christian presents. I think at least part of the reason why they went with three presenters is it was hard getting someone to commit to going to Salford every week. (I also think they didn’t have a lot of time to find a new host before the season after Colin left the BBC). I wouldn’t be surprised if they did move back to broadcasting from London permanently next season as the show desperately needs some consistency. I’m not sure if CoC will go full time, I think he wants to focus more on his stand up and committing to FT every week limits what he can do at weekends.

JP and Matt Johnson are ok, but they have both suffered with the fact they don’t really know the format – JP sometimes overshares, and Matt suffers from going too far the other way and rarely comments on the actual answers given and that’s part of the charm of the show. I also think he’s far too nice, every answer is “amazing” according to him, and everyone “fantastic”. Doesn’t suit the nature of the show.

The show is at its best when the hosts build a relationship with the guests, and being on one week in three at best doesn’t help that (unless you have presented the show before, like CoC!)
  • Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Is Matt Johnson not one of the presenters anymore? Seems to be mostly CO'C nowadays with the occasional turn of JP
  • David_TownsonDavid_Townson Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    My favourites in the Murray-less interregnum :confused: were Jonathan Pearce, then Josh Widdicombe.

Brilliant now Col's back though! :D