Options

A busy day for the news teams just got busier!

RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
Forum Member
After the Autumn Budget Announcement and the weather causing havoc across the UK making it a very busy day for the news teams and journalists...its just been announced that Nelson Mandela has died!

Comments

• Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is this BBC1 news report coming from?

It doesn't look like it's coming from the BBC News Channel.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Did they break into Mrs Browns Boys? Bet some idiot complains.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

It was coming from BBC World News with Kasia Madera.

Extraordinary day where there are three massive headlines to cover, with one being broken just minutes before the Ten O'Clock news.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

World News maybe? I thought the 9 o'clock bulletin was done in the virtual studio, as the main studio got ready for the 10 o'clock news. I certainly don't recognize the studio. (But I haven't watched much News Channel recently)

[EDIT: Answered above.]

I have to say the BBC One continuity wasn't very clear:
    Now on BBC One, we interrupt Mrs Brown's Boys to join President Zuma with a statement.
  • Options
    Sam WalkerSam Walker Posts: 165
    Forum Member

BBC World.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they break into Mrs Browns Boys? Bet some idiot complains.

Lol they only had to wait 10 mins itv didn't break in ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Extraordinary day where there are three massive headlines to cover, with one being broken just minutes before the Ten O'Clock news.

Indeed, and that single-handedly proves the necessity of pre-preparing obituary films and having obituary news rehearsals before the real thing happens.
  • Options
    dbukdbuk Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Lol they only had to wait 10 mins itv didn't break in ;)

This. It was totally unnecessary.

The man was 95, he has essentially been dead for the past 5 months and there was a regular news bulletin in less than 10 minutes.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As late breaking stories go Mandela's death would be a very easy one to cover. There has been plenty of warning both a few months ago when he was hospitalised and earlier today when he was said to be on his deathbed. Plus they'll have acres and acres of video tributes ready.

George Osborne must be gutted, his statement has been well and truly buried. Poor chap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, and that single-handedly proves the necessity of pre-preparing obituary films and having obituary news rehearsals before the real thing happens.

:o:o:o You mean the BBC made a video of Nelson in case he died? :o:o Shame on you BBC :p How can you be so cruel.
  • Options
    dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biggest flood risk for UK in 60 years and yet BBC 10oclock News is reporting on Mandela's death as though there's no other news. Not unexpected news either. Surely the flooding should be number one news today?
    Not saying they shouldn't mention Mandella, but why to the detriment of news that could be affecting 100,000s of UK residents this evening, tonight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dans_t16s wrote: »
    Biggest flood risk for UK in 60 years and yet BBC 10oclock News is reporting on Mandela's death as though there's no other news. Not unexpected news either. Surely the flooding should be number one news today?
    Not saying they shouldn't mention Mandella, but why to the detriment of news that could be affecting 100,000s of UK residents this evening, tonight?

I did laugh today it started as 30 years then it became 40 and this eve it was 50 and by 6 O'clock it was 60 years by tomorrow it will be since Noah.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the storm hits as heavy as expected tonight, I wonder what will happen with BBC Breakfast tomorrow morning. I imagine the storm might take precedent since it's a domestic story and could cause serious disruption to much of the country!
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member

They've been reporting the flooding alll day long. I doubt there's much to say now that wasn't said in earlier bulletins - and they will cover it in a few minutes.

As for breaking into scheduled programming on BBC 1, it don't know why they didn't put up a caption and invite people to retune to BBC News Channel. That way viewers have the choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Perhaps they feel that the local news at 10:30 is a better place to give localised flooding news? Each region needs different news and advice depending on circumstances.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    George Osborne must be gutted, his statement has been well and truly buried. Poor chap.

Ed Balls will happy though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    They've been reporting the flooding alll day long. I doubt there's much to say now that wasn't said in earlier bulletins - and they will cover it in a few minutes.

As for breaking into scheduled programming on BBC 1, it don't know why they didn't put up a caption and invite people to retune to BBC News Channel. That way viewers have the choice.

The flooding is happening now as the weather system moves South and East and some places it will not happen maybe until tomorrow.

The amount of flood alerts means this is a big story that needs covering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I bet I wasn't the only person to think of Del Boy when the BBC News reporter said he was standing outside Nelson Mandela(s) House
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I can guess one or two of the questions on this weeks Newswatch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the storm hits as heavy as expected tonight, I wonder what will happen with BBC Breakfast tomorrow morning. I imagine the storm might take precedent since it's a domestic story and could cause serious disruption to much of the country!

Not just the BBC Breakfast editor that has big decisions to make, but also the Newspaper Editors, who will have to decide ASAP which story is the front page tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I can guess one or two of the questions on this weeks Newswatch

"I was shocked an appalled when Mrs Brown was just about to sing her new song on BBC-1 when the BBC cut into the programme to announce the death of a 95 year old man... shame on you BBC this could easily have waited until the termiantion of the Mrs Brown televisiual feast I will not be watching the BBC again. Shame, Shame Shame":p
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There wasn't even an announcement on BBC Scotland, just the turning BBC logo then cut to the president. but I agree, only had to wait 10 minutes for not exactly surprising, but sad, news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There wasn't even an announcement on BBC Scotland, just the turning BBC logo then cut to the president. but I agree, only had to wait 10 minutes for not exactly surprising, but sad, news.

Looks like Question Time is not going to get shown or delayed to another time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just the BBC Breakfast editor that has big decisions to make, but also the Newspaper Editors, who will have to decide ASAP which story is the front page tomorrow.

Seems like quite an easy decision to me - for the nationals, anyway.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Question Time tonight? Will it be shelved or shown another time?