Neighbour is trying to steal my cat!

Rio FantasticRio Fantastic Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello,

So I have a two year old cat named Moses. Recently, I noticed that he had been going out more and more recently, but thought nothing of it. However, I started to panic yesterday when I hadn't seen him for two and a half days and he hadn't shown up and his food had been untouched. I drove all round my area for three hours and still Moses was nowhere to be found.

I was really getting frightened now, my heart was pounding and images of Moses run over by a car or attacked by a dog or tortured by youths were flashing through my mind. In my desperation I started going door to door round my area to ask if anyone had seen him. I had been doing this for around thirty minutes when I came to a house about two blocks away which belongs to a middle aged woman who lives alone who I've never spoken to before, although I have seen her many times.

I inquired about my cat, and she feigned innocence. However, who should I see walk through the living room behind her?? Moses!!! "Moses! There he is!!!" I said, and she apologised and said she assumed it was a stray. I noticed immediately when he was back in my arms where he belonged that his collar was gone. However, at the time I thought he might have just lost it somehow.

A couple of days later, it happened again. This time however, I knew where to look. I went back to Ms Marleybourne's house, and again she apologised and claimed that he just came through the window and she'd fed him. She also said he'd only been there an hour, which was clearly a lie as he'd been missing the best part of two days again. A little aggravated, I took Moses back and asked her to call me if it happened again.

Lo and behold, it did!!! Moses has "dissapeared" a total of SEVEN times now all in all, and every single damn time he's been there! She's even installed a cat flap for him!! The penultimate time, I had to bang on her door for thirty minutes, and she still wouldn't answer, so I waited a few minutes, then went back and shouted "Police! Open up!". Upon her answering promptly, I had to push past her and physically retrieve Moses, whilst she blathered on about how dare I enter her house, she's innocent yada yada yada. The last time, she refused to answer the door AT ALL, and it was only when I put my head through the cat flap and started calling Moses that he came to me (I know she was in as her car was there)

I'm at a loss at what to do. I tried calling 101 for the police but they said there was nothing they could do. The RSPCA said the same as she isn't actually hurting Moses. I can't believe someone can steal your cat and there's no recourse for you!! I'm fantasising of putting a brick through her window or something to show her I'm serious and make her leave my cat alone (note I probably won't do this, I'm just really exasperated and annoyed) I'm worried one day she's going to trap him in there or move house and take him with her, then I'll never see my best friend again!

Any advice would be so so appreciated!!! I'm at my wits end!

Comments

• bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe it's fed up with the damp and green lichen round at your place
  • Rio FantasticRio Fantastic Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    maybe it's fed up with the damp and green lichen round at your place

Is this some kind of joke? There is no damp or green lichen at my place. I keep my house immaculate, I clean for at least an hour a day. My house isn't in a state of disrepair and Moses knows that. I can't say the same for Ms Marleyborne's house. Either she was redecorating or something or she's a hoarder, based on the small amount of time I've spent there. There was boxes of random crap and dirty dishes all over the place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how she is stealing your cat if there is a flap for him to leave when he wants to. If she was keeping him in her house and not letting him out then that would be a different story. Maybe your cat does not want to live full time with you and likes your neighbour company also? The only way you can stop it is if you make your cat a house cat and do not let it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    I fail to see how she is stealing your cat if there is a flap for him to leave when he wants to. If she was keeping him in her house and not letting him out then that would be a different story. Maybe your cat does not want to live full time with you and likes your neighbour company also? The only way you can stop it is if you make your cat a house cat and do not let it out.

Thanks for the advice, I've considered it but I don't know if I could do it to Moses, he loves going outside, exploring, jumping around, killing animals! I don't know if i could deprive him of that.

When I rescued Moses one of the times, i noticed the flap is one-way, it opens inwards but not outwards. This explained to me why Moses wasn't returning at his usual feeding time. I don't know if you read my post properly - the first time it happened I didn't jump to the conclusion of theft, but it has happenend now SEVEN times in total, and on no occasion has she contacted me. The last two times she has even refused to open the door to me at all even though she was in the house. Also, she doesn't even own a cat, but has very very recently (after Moses' "dissapearences") had a cat flap installed in her house.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get one of those GPS locator dot gadgets and put one on his collar, then you know for sure where he is. Or, don't let him out. Or, feed him better food, give him lots of cuddles, play with him a lot and he'll prefer to stay with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Get one of those GPS locator dot gadgets and put one on his collar, then you know for sure where he is. Or, don't let him out. Or, feed him better food, give him lots of cuddles, play with him a lot and he'll prefer to stay with you.

Thanks for your idea about the GPS locator, but so far every time he's been missing he's been at her house. I have considered not letting him out, but as I stated above I don't know if I could inflict it on him. And I already feed him the most premium, expensive cat food I can find, when money is tight I eat value food to make sure Moses always has the best. I play with him and cuddle him literally all the time, when he isn't outside we're always together, hugging, playing, I have loads of toys for him like stuffed mice on a string and laser red dot sight and a fish mobile that he loves. I'm always holding him and playing with him and we have great conversations. I'm sure the old bat is either kidnapping him or coercing him in somehow and then not letting him back out since every time I've rescued him he's literally come sprinting over to me and jumped into my arms.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Go to a sanctuary buy this bitch a cat bring it round to her house and say if you want a cat you can have this one, but you're not stealing mine. Actually I take that back, bad idea for all we know she may not look after the cat properly.

I mean really this bitch is out of order. It'd be different if she thought he was a stray and didn't know but she knows the score, what she's doing is wrong.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I think you should keep the cat in, buy the cat the best food out there, give it lots of hugs and cuddles, let it sleep on the sofa/ best seat in the house and purchase a cat lead.

I have seen cat lead's about but this way your cat gets exercise and gets out and about and this bitch doesn't steal him.

For the record I have a cat and she's a house cat. I let her out when she wants which is very rare during Winter, happens more during Summer but she's happy indoors.

I think it may be because of her history-I got her from a sanctuary and her previous owner had died so she maybe feels more secure being indoors but she's happy and I let her out when she wants occasionally.

But definitely get a cat lead.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    There is a saying that dogs have owners and cats have staff. Cats given the freedom to come and go will decide where they want to live irrespective of what we people think. They are independent creatures unlike dogs which are pack animals. I don't think one ever truly owns a cat, it just condescends to live with you or not.

My friend has had two cats from the same litter for 13 years. They have lived quite happily all this time coming and going as they pleased but always returning to her house as 'home'

In the past few weeks one of them for no reason we can figure has decided to move in (uninvited) with neighbours up the road. They have a cat flap on account of having a cat of their own. Bo calmly lets himself in, eats their cat's food and makes himself at home. The neighbours keep bringing him back but each time he goes out he heads back up there.

I am afraid there isn't much you can do about a cat that chooses to go elsewhere except to try to make your home as appealing as possible and it sounds like you are already ticking those boxes. You could try one of these chemical 'smell' things that are supposed to make cats calm and contented. Bo's vet suggested this - hasn't worked so far.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sympathise. If I had a cat of my own I know i would hate the idea of it going elsewhere. But that is what cats do. Cat downstairs comes up to me a lot. He never stays more than a few hours though.

Short of keeping Moses in, there's probably not a lot you can do.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this happen with a neighbour too. Knocked, she feigned innocence, looked into her bedroom (it was a bungalow) and she was asleep on her bed.

I told her the cat has a diagnosed heart condition and needs to have regular medicine. I even put my cat in a "Do Not Feed" collar.

Worked a treat.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I think you need to sit the cat down and issue it with an ultimatum - "It's either me, or her!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Is this some kind of joke? There is no damp or green lichen at my place. I keep my house immaculate, I clean for at least an hour a day. My house isn't in a state of disrepair and Moses knows that. I can't say the same for Ms Marleyborne's house. Either she was redecorating or something or she's a hoarder, based on the small amount of time I've spent there. There was boxes of random crap and dirty dishes all over the place.
    I have some sympathy for you. There are people like that. We had a cat that ended up spending most of her time next door because they kept letting her in their house and feeding her luxury titbits and cream which made her ill. We fed her well at home on Whiskers morning and night so she never went hungry.
    They should have got their own cat.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a catastrophe and I am not surprised you are caterwauling about all this, trouble is, is is catch 22, as if you are harsh and do not let Moses out and she caters for his every need he will be off at first chance like a cat out of hell and the neighbour will be like the cat that got the cream
  • Janey JoyceJaney Joyce Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    A friends cat was doing the same and she found out her neighbour was giving the cat steak and fish to tempt it into her house. I don't think there is much you can do about it because cats are free spirits and will move in with whoever gives them the most attention and good food.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had same problem with my neighbour keeping my cat in, shut in , as he has no cat flap. I went and threatened to hit him and he stopped. I also threw his cat food dishes over the hedge of another garden, these were outside his door to tempt cats to stop and eat. I don't know why he doesn't do the simple thing, Get his own cat.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    She'd probably change her mind if she had to feed it every day and pay for the vets bills. Maybe you should go round there one day and say to her "if you want my cat so much here's the vets bill for his treatment enjoy paying for it!" Think of something really expensive and print up a bill, she her face and attitude change when she realises she has to pay a small fortune for someone else's cat because she won't have insurance on your cat.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Take any kittens round and dump them there. If this woman wants your cat, she can take the kids too.
  • dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you feed your cat a food item that gave it diarrhoea, allow the cat to go mrs marybalones house and then cover the place in whoopsies? I used to have a cat when I was young and there was something which used to give it diarrhoea but cant remember what now.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it took you two and half days to even realise you hadn't seen your cat it strikes me your relationship with it is hardly close...perhaps it enjoys a little more company round at her house.

So aside from the other suggestions about keeping it in maybe try giving it a little more attention so it wants to be with you/come back to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I had this happen with a neighbour too. Knocked, she feigned innocence, looked into her bedroom (it was a bungalow) and she was asleep on her bed.

I told her the cat has a diagnosed heart condition and needs to have regular medicine. I even put my cat in a "Do Not Feed" collar.

Worked a treat.

That's a really good idea.

A cat I had when I was younger moved herself in with some neighbours. I was heartbroken. I don't understand how people can just take someone's pet.
    Funnily enough, I have a cat that's trying to move in with me at the moment. It's a little dear, always runs over to say hello and loves a fuss. But I don't let it (him, I think) in. We have a glass door and I quite often see him sitting outside waiting patiently. I've given my bf strict instructions "don't feed him! And don't let him in!" I don't want to be that person who steals someone's cat.

Good luck with this OP. I really think the medicine bills/ regular medicines ideas are worth a go!
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Could you feed your cat a food item that gave it diarrhoea, allow the cat to go mrs marybalones house and then cover the place in whoopsies? I used to have a cat when I was young and there was something which used to give it diarrhoea but cant remember what now.

We had a cat who was very friendly and she was 'kidnapped' regularly by the child of one of the families in our road, who used to shut her in their house. Until the day she took a dump in their bath.... :kitty::D
  • PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member

What a horrible idea. Why should the cat be punished like that? You sound like a right card.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    You can't own a cat. They are creatures of habit and choose where they want to live.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Is he a rare or valuable cat?
This discussion has been closed.