Options

Considering Getting A Budgie

nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
Forum Member
I've wanted a budgie for quite some time now, but would only get one if I was absolutely sure that my circumstances were suitable for getting a budgie. See what you think?

I live in a rented flat which states no pets. I'd have to either persuade the landlord to allow me or to get one anyway and take the risk of them finding out.

I live by myself. I am frequently out of the flat for periods of up to 36 hours, occasionally for up to 48-60 hours.

I have never kept birds before, but would make sure that I understood how to care for one beforehand.

There would be no financial issues with getting the bird everything it needs.

I am recently in a relationship that is going places. At some point in the next few years, there's obviously the potential that we would want to get a place together. She has a cat. This is nothing that has been spoken about, but I'd need to think about the lifespan of the bird.

And of course the most important budgie question - blue or green? Please don't say yellow ;)

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A single budgie would be lonely if you left it for so long, they like to interact with either other budgies or less satisfyingly humans. They also need free flying space or a large aviary to fly in. Really you are not in a good position to have a bird at the moment. Sorry not what you want to hear I am sure but the old way of keeping a caged bird damaged them and was cruel they need more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    A single budgie would be lonely if you left it for so long, they like to interact with either other budgies or less satisfyingly humans. They also need free flying space or a large aviary to fly in. Really you are not in a good position to have a bird at the moment. Sorry not what you want to hear I am sure but the old way of keeping a caged bird damaged them and was cruel they need more.

Not at all not what I want to hear. Basically I need to decide what changes I would have to make in my routine if I were to get one, or to leave it until a different time in my life.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still suffer from guilt from having a budgie years ago!
    OP please don't take this wrong but please think carefully about getting a caged animal of any description - but particularly a bird and particularly a single bird. Some people think it's OK because 'they were bred in captivity and know no better' but many don't hold with that view. A bird kept in a small cage is going against what nature intended.
    Even worse - your circumstances - being out of the flat for so long - are in no way suitable. It's not fair imo to keep a bird in a small cage but it is even less fair if they have no company - bird or human. Then there's the maintenance - fresh water and little things like removing seed husks from the top of feeders.
    Plus if there are in a small cage they should at least be let out frequently. Birds cr*p everywhere btw....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still suffer from guilt from having a budgie years ago!
    OP please don't take this wrong but please think carefully about getting a caged animal of any description - but particularly a bird and particularly a single bird. Some people think it's OK because 'they were bred in captivity and know no better' but many don't hold with that view. A bird kept in a small cage is going against what nature intended.
    Even worse - your circumstances - being out of the flat for so long - are in no way suitable. It's not fair imo to keep a bird in a small cage but it is even less fair if they have no company - bird or human. Then there's the maintenance - fresh water and little things like removing seed husks from the top of feeders.
    Plus if there are in a small cage they should at least be let out frequently. Birds cr*p everywhere btw....

Yeah, I would definitely let the bird out frequently. I remember my dad and my granda had budgies when I was a kid. The cage door was seldom closed and the birds just came and went as they pleased.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I would definitely let the bird out frequently. I remember my dad and my granda had budgies when I was a kid. The cage door was seldom closed and the birds just came and went as they pleased.

But you live in a rented flat where pets are not allowed, I doubt the landlord would be happy to have bird crap everywhere. Sensibly you need to wait until your circumstances change and you are in suitable accommodation, preferably with an aviary and more than one bird.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth would you want a pet when you're away so long and so often? Especially when it's against your tenancy agreement.

Dont agree with birds as pets if they are being kept in a cage, sorry. I definetly dont agree when they are going to be left alone for huge periods of time and maybe chucked aside when the landlord finds out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to say 'fantastic' till I read your circumstances. Seriously please don't. You can't leave any animal for those hours, its just to long. You would need to interact with a budgie so it can learn to talk for starters.

We had a budgie when I was a child and he was the best fun ever. He of course had a cage but was rarely in it. He had freedom all day. We had cats and dogs and he would cadge a lift round the house on their backs. :) He would sit on my dads shoulder every night and watch the TV with him. He could talk really well because my dad used to chat with him. He was great fun.

It would be mad to get any pet under your rental agreement. Wait till your circumstances are better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks folks. Sensible advice and I will leave it just now. I'm in no mad hurry to get one.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. Sensible advice and I will leave it just now. I'm in no mad hurry to get one.

That's good I am sure you will have a pet at some point in your life it just isn't now, enjoy being pet free while you can I say, just back from wettest dog walk ever and wondering why I have dogs because they were both naughty ! Yes enjoy being pet free for a while.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

I think it's the best decision all round :) I have 3 budgies who live outside in an aviary in the summer and indoors in a big cage in the winter months, they need quite a bit of looking after, cleaning daily is a must for you and the bird, because of dander.

1 budgie alone would be quite sad unless it has constant attention and is hand trained, I had a hand trained one years ago, who was with me constantly when I was indoors, he talked too and was my best pal, when the time is right, a singe budgie is great if you get it young and hand train it :)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    That's good I am sure you will have a pet at some point in your life it just isn't now, enjoy being pet free while you can I say, just back from wettest dog walk ever and wondering why I have dogs because they were both naughty ! Yes enjoy being pet free for a while.

LOL our house smells of wet dog too at the moment!

Any pet is a big decision and the time has to be right, I would say its almost like deciding to have a family, the commitment may not be as big, but the time spent with them is comparable.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get one of these nessyfencer.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I would steer clear unless you had a purpose built aviary with a few in for company,

I visited a relation of my ohs a few years back and she had a parakeet (i think) that had a cage but she let it have the run of the house and it was disgusting. When we visited we all had to perch on the edge of the sofa, approximately room for one bum cheek because everything was covered in bird poo. The lady herself seemed oblivious to it.

We went out for dinner one day to a nice restaurant and wondered why people were giving us dirty looks. It was only when we left that we noticed the homeowner had bird poo all down the back of her jumper and in her hair! Unfortunitely it was also all over the car seat she had been sat in.

Its preferable to keeping a bird caged 24/7 but seriously, it was horrible!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hamsters are solitary and quiet.

they surely can't object to a smuggled in hamster. they would never find a smuggled in hamster.

hamsters are fun to watch in their tube systems.

hamsters are happy on their own for a day or two. They are warm and friendly too. Better than a bird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:)

We had 2 of the wettest dog walks ever this week. Literally I was soaked down to bra and pants :o Still love him though. :cool: