Who Will Get The Brit?? Ed V Sam Smith

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They are both defnites for Best Male at the Brits tomorrow. Olly Murs will be nominated for sure too not just that but lack of competition alongside Paolo Nutini. But who will win.

I think it'll be Ed personally, he'll also win single and album too it's looking likely.:D

Best Male

Ed Sheeran
Olly Murs
George Ezra
Paolo Nutini
Sam Smith

Best Female
Ella Eyre
Paloma Faith
Ella Henderson

Best Group
Artic Monkeys
Coldplay
One Direction
Take that
Bastille
Royal Blood
My predictions!

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought Ed Sheeran would get it. He seems slightly more popular. Not by much but he edges it.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Who cares. They'd both rather a Grammy.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Who cares. They'd both rather a Grammy.

:D:D I agree.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Sam Smith gets it. Both albums are good, but I think Sam's is much, much better than Ed's.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like choosing whether you'd rather be shot or hanged.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Ed seems more likeable and fun imo. Plus although Sams album is pretty good, Eds Is far better. Sing, Don't and Thinking Out Loud are all far better than all Sams singles. I choose Ed :D

Paloma for female and Bastille for group.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's all bear in mind that this is a panel voted category. If Sam Smith doesn't at least win one big award - Best Male or Best Album, I would be shocked as he was Critics Choice last year. Single and Breakthrough are viewer voted and I think Ed stands a better chance at Single for "SING". I'd guess at;

Best Male - Ed Sheeran
    Best Album - Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour
    Single - Ed - Sing
    Breakthrough - Sam Smith

Nobody else can come close in those categories IMO.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's all bear in mind that this is a panel voted category. If Sam Smith doesn't at least win one big award - Best Male or Best Album, I would be shocked. Single and Breakthrough are viewer voted and I think Ed stands a better chance at Single for "SING". I'd guess at;

Best Male - Ed Sheeran
    Best Album - Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour
    Single - Ed - Sing
    Breakthrough - Sam Smith

Nobody else can come close in those categories IMO.

Apart from the fact Sing sounds like a JT demo c2002.

Think ed will get both album and british male.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

:D

Agree with you entirely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

Think ed will get both album and british male.

I couldn't agree more.
    I do like the song, but until I knew it was Ed, I had just assumed it was JT's new single.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    I think Paloma may cause some trouble with her album - I think she'll nip it over the boys!

EDIT - Wait.... Paulo, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, George Ezra, Sam Smith and Paloma Faith! Is there 6 nominated usually, or just 5?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Paloma may cause some trouble with her album - I think she'll nip it over the boys!

EDIT - Wait.... Paulo, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, George Ezra, Sam Smith and Paloma Faith! Is there 6 nominated usually, or just 5?
    One of Paolo or George Ezra will be left off I'd imagine. I also wouldn't discount Royal Blood being included.
    Forum Member
    One of Paolo or George Ezra will be left off I'd imagine. I also wouldn't discount Royal Blood being included.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that!

It be an interesting one for sure!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah! I forgot about that!

It be an interesting one for sure!

I would predict;

Sam Smith
    Ed Sheeran
    Royal Blood
    Coldplay
    Paloma Faith

For album.
    Forum Member
    I would predict;

Sam Smith
    Ed Sheeran
    Royal Blood
    Coldplay
    Paloma Faith

For album.

Hmm...

I'll go for...

Sam Smith
    Ed Sheeran
    Coldplay
    George Ezra
    Paloma Faith

I think it's between Ed, Sam and Paloma for the win, though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think they'll give Best Album to Paloma, but will give her Best Female to compensate.

Best Album will definitely be between Ed & Sam IMO.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

...and I originally thought that Thinking Out Loud was a cover of a Van Morrison song.:p Granted, Sheeran has admitted he was 'channeling' the grumpy Irish genius in the song.

I think Ed & Sam will win big but I prefer Ezra's album to either of theirs. But he'll get Breakthrough...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I reckon best male will go to Ed. Sam will win atleast one though seeing how he was the critics choice last year.

Personally I'd rather Paolo Nutini over the both of them (and I'm a fan of Ed). The guy just gets better with each album and I'm annoyed he didn't get a nom for the best album. One of my favourite albums from last year.
    Forum Member
    Shocked Paloma never got an album of the year nod. Surely she will win best female?

I hope Sam wins AOTY, its must better than X in my opinion!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

:D:D:D

It's like a contest as to which is the dullest
  • Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few snubs of the big pop acts - nothing for the likes of Olly Murs, Take That or Cheryl even in the single or video categories which has traditionally housed the pop acts that they don't want to put in the 'serious credible categories'. British single and video are dominated by the dance scene. Interesting that Uptown Funk has made it in two categories - Single and video, surely only just made the cut off point!

Most nominations - Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Royal Blood
    Big snubs - Take That, Olly Murs,
    Obligatory making up the numbers nomination - Beck, Damon Albarn
    Annual International Who the hell are they nomination - St Vincent, First Aid Kit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Quite a few snubs of the big pop acts - nothing for the likes of Olly Murs,

I agree about Olly, seems a bit unfair to give ella henderson two nominations and he doesn't even get one? Whether you like him or not he has had a steady career and probably did better with each new album which is not that easy, deserves a best male nomination (not a win right enough)
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Annual International Who the hell are they nomination - St Vincent

I think you're being rather ignorant there - St Vincent came out on top in every 'album of 2014' chart that I read. Certainly NME and The Guardian.

Disappointed George Ezra isn't nominated for Best Video, if only because it'd mean I've actually seen a nominee in that category :blush:

Ed Sheeran British Album and Video, Paloma Faith British Female, Sam Smith British Male (would love it to be Paolo though), One Direction British Group (tragically), Royal Blood for British Breakthrough, 'Rather Be' for British Single, Pharrell for International Male, Taylor Swift International Female, Foo Fighters for International Group, Paul Epworth for Producer.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olly Murs should've got a nomination. Even Cheryl should be in the Best Single or Video category.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Olly Murs should've got a nomination.
    I dare say he'll be up for 'Best Male' in 2016 but it'd have been farcical if he'd been nominated for it this time ahead of Paolo Nutini, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith or George Ezra, which only leaves one spot left and they always like to have one 'credible' or 'non-commercial' nominee in that category so Murs just couldn't squeeze in. It's certainly a lot stronger in that category than in some recent years when winners have included Dizzee Rascal, James Morrisson and Mark Ronson who's a producer not a 'solo artist'. Murs would have walked it in those kind of years so he can perhaps wish he'd delayed his album by six months.
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Olly Murs should've got a nomination. Even Cheryl should be in the Best Single or Video category.

AFAIK, the single category nominations are for the biggest-selling singles, and the video category nominations are for the view counts on YouTube, so with her biggest-selling song only just scraping the top 50 singles of 2014 and her most-viewed video only getting 21 millions views, Cheryl never had a hope for either category. I'd say the glaring omission from the video category on merit is George Ezra's 'Listen to the Man' but until they change the criteria there's nothing to be done.