Dvd - R

Hi

Sorry for posting this but I have recorded a film onto DVD but it failed somehow and I managed to erase the content on the DVD but the time has not moved back to its original state (4:00) and I can see something burned onto it but am not sure.

This disk has not been finalized.

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've told us what you've done. Do you want to give any indication as to what advice you require?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry for posting this but I have recorded a film onto DVD but it failed somehow and I managed to erase the content on the DVD but the time has not moved back to its original state (4:00) and I can see something burned onto it but am not sure.

This disk has not been finalized.
    For a start, you cannot erase the content of a DVD-R disk. Once written to the disk the data is there forever. What is most likely is that the temporary Table of Contents that is created by whatever machine recorded the disk is corrupt so the machine no longer has any idea what is on the disk.

Probably the only thing you can do is chuck the disk in the bin and start again with a new disk. Likely to be far more effort than it is worth trying to revive the existing disk and lets face it DVD disks are as cheap as chips so no great financial loss tossing it away.
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    OK sorry

I copied a film on to DVD and I thought it was going Ok until I checked the DVD display at the front and the REC indicator had vanished so I stopped the DVD (this wrote the content onto DVD). I ejected the DVD and manage d to erase the content but I noticed it hadn't put the remained back to 4:00 (which it was before the DVD written).

I placed it in my DVD Drive on my PC and tried to format the DVD but with no success.I tried Nero, CD Burner but with no luck

Can anyone recommend one that will erase this FULLY.The disk HAS NOT been Finalized
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    OK sorry

I copied a film on to DVD and I thought it was going Ok until I checked the DVD display at the front and the REC indicator had vanished so I stopped the DVD (this wrote the content onto DVD). I ejected the DVD and manage d to erase the content but I noticed it hadn't put the remained back to 4:00 (which it was before the DVD written).

I placed it in my DVD Drive on my PC and tried to format the DVD but with no success.I tried Nero, CD Burner but with no luck

Can anyone recommend one that will erase this FULLY.The disk HAS NOT been Finalized
    If it is as you say a DVD-R disk you cannot erase anything burnt onto it. It is not possible. As I posted above once written to a DVD-R disk the data is there forever (or at least untill the dye layer degrades) whether you can access it or not that space is forever unavailable to any future recording.
    Forum Member
    But because I have erased it, I thought I could just record over it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The disk has not been erased though. All that can happen with a DVD -R (and a DVD +R disk) is a previous recording is hidden from view. However the space that recording has used up is no longer available for use.

DVD +/- R disks have no mechanism to overwrite previously recorded on areas of the disk. You can only ever record to virgin territory that has never been used. If you want to be able to truly erase and reuse a DVD disk then you need RW disks which do have the ability to write over previously recorded on space.
    Forum Member
    When I put the DVD in it says "No Titles Recorded"so can I record another film which is 1 hr 24 minutes on a 2 hr 12 minute remaining DVD? and it won't show the erased title in order not to waste a DVD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the disk was not finalised and there is sufficient free space then it should be possible to add another recording. Just be aware however that the first recording must have failed for a reason. If the disk is dodgy then the new recording could fail as well. If it was a machine fault then any recording you make could fail.
    Forum Member
    No it wasn't - 100% sure and there time remaining is 2:12 on SP