I miss Big Brother!

iwholdeniwholden Posts: 1,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I was a little bored and decided to stick an early series of BB on, I chose big bro 3 (2002 I think) and straight away the difference is unreal. Davina got the audience going, give us a tour of the house, the house mates are semi normal people and the whole show is just more exciting. I wish Channel 4 would take it back and someone as good as Davina (or Davina) would take over. Well I can always dream! Does anyone else miss the real Big Brother or are you happy with the "evolved" big brother?

Comments

• mashedpotatoesmashedpotatoes Posts: 4,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was 3 the one with Alex and Kate? I loved that series. Yes, it was so much better back then. See also Fright Night with series 5. Classic stuff, not the boring show it is nowadays.
  • Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually felt last years Big Brother was the best ever.
  • iwholdeniwholden Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was 3 the one with Alex and Kate? I loved that series. Yes, it was so much better back then. See also Fright Night with series 5. Classic stuff, not the boring show it is nowadays.

Yeah that's the one. Can't believe the difference to now. Even little things like the format of how they go in to the house is better. Little things..
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    The thing is that BB is always having to up the ante when choosing personalities for their show. How the hell are they gonna top getting worse rottweilers than Hopkins and Perez for the next show?? :o

I think they could try a different tack, i.e. nasty people are not needed necessarily for entertainment....tension is not always entertaining to watch as many have grown somewhat tired of the constant spats now. So, how about just put in eccentric types, i.e. those with weird habits/behaviour - that could be very entertaining and would still have the friction element with those finding such behaviour irritating in the house. I would love to watch that...BB are you reading this at all (or this section of the forum)?
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a time I would have fully agreed with you OP and to some extent I still do.

After the debacle that was the duvet couple JJ& awful Josie G, I stopped watching for two years. I then came back and accepted that the original BB that we diehard fans loved was long gone.

In order to watch now, one has to accept that it is in effect a scripted reality show and that is heavily edited, & manoeuvred to favour the chosen winner. Giving people passes to the final....come on;-).....blatant as the nose on yer face. And what an horrendous winner that gave us. Worst ever imo.>:(
  • littlemissbblittlemissbb Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching last year's Australian BB. It's far, far better than the uk ones, imo. No manipulation and much fairer. Big Brother has a sense of humour too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a time I would have fully agreed with you OP and to some extent I still do.

After the debacle that was the duvet couple JJ& awful Josie G, I stopped watching for two years. I then came back and accepted that the original BB that we diehard fans loved was long gone.

In order to watch now, one has to accept that it is in effect a scripted reality show and that is heavily edited, & manoeuvred to favour the chosen winner. Giving people passes to the final....come on;-).....blatant as the nose on yer face. And what an horrendous winner that gave us. Worst ever imo.>:(

Helen won the golden ticket fair and square. Anyone could have been awarded that. That only got her into the final, however. It was the public who crowned her winner. We made that choice by picking up the phone and voting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching last year's Australian BB. It's far, far better than the uk ones, imo. No manipulation and much fairer. Big Brother has a sense of humour too.

I love BBUS and Canada. I just prefer the format, I did watch Australia this year too, pisses all over our poor excuse of a show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen won the golden ticket fair and square. Anyone could have been awarded that. That only got her into the final, however. It was the public who crowned her winner. We made that choice by picking up the phone and voting.

I suppose she did but it'd have been much better if they just let the show run out itself, its meant to be an experiment. These days its just constant interference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iwholden wrote: »
    I love BBUS and Canada. I just prefer the format, I did watch Australia this year too, pisses all over our poor excuse of a show.

It really does. I can't explain how much better it is. I'm going to give BBUS and Canada a whirl as well this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really does. I can't explain how much better it is. I'm going to give BBUS and Canada a whirl as well this year.

Once you get used to the whole set up of the show its amazing. No public vote and its about who can play the best game. I love it. Julie Chen is a great host too. :)
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i miss the REAL Big Brother. I'll still watch no matter what, but it's just "evolved" into a mess.
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best BB was the first one because it was new and the HMs weren't wise as to how to act
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are forgetting that it was on it's last legs with Channel 4 and that's why they got rid of it.

It will never return to the heights of the early years when it was still a relatively new format. You have to remember the show has been going for 15 years now. If you include the celebrity version there's been around 30 odd Big Brothers. It's very difficult for the producers to come up with new ideas.

Channel five is the smallest terrestrial tv channel so it will never reach the ratings of it's Channel 4 heyday but in Channel 5 terms it still performs well. The fact it's still going strong 15 years later suggests they must be doing something right.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do they have over the top PC rules that their not allowed to say like our annoying version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are forgetting that it was on it's last legs with Channel 4 and that's why they got rid of it.

It will never return to the heights of the early years when it was still a relatively new format. You have to remember the show has been going for 15 years now. If you include the celebrity version there's been around 30 odd Big Brothers. It's very difficult for the producers to come up with new ideas.

Channel five is the smallest terrestrial tv channel so it will never reach the ratings of it's Channel 4 heyday but in Channel 5 terms it still performs well. The fact it's still going strong 15 years later suggests they must be doing something right.

As much as I agree with what you are saying I wasn't really on about the rating or ideas, if anything they're having too many ideas. They need to throw the people in the house, do normal nominations, normal evictions and strictly NO passes to the final. Back to basics or even the rich poor divide, that's only been done once I think... Where as secret rooms and that shit, its been done over & over.. I do respect what u said that, good on them for taking the show on and trying these things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people expect for BB not to have evolved? It has to up the ante every year and that means change. And people don't like change.
  • rhizo_maniarhizo_mania Posts: 4,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Do they have over the top PC rules that their not allowed to say like our annoying version?

They do have rules in the show, but Australian BB is well worth a look my advice is give it a look and make your own mind up, I have watched the last two seasons and I enjoyed both of them.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people expect for BB not to have evolved? It has to up the ante every year and that means change. And people don't like change.

There is evolving and then making a mess. BB US do a different twist every year and its still as good as series one IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I agree with what you are saying I wasn't really on about the rating or ideas, if anything they're having too many ideas. They need to throw the people in the house, do normal nominations, normal evictions and strictly NO passes to the final. Back to basics or even the rich poor divide, that's only been done once I think... Where as secret rooms and that shit, its been done over & over.. I do respect what u said that, good on them for taking the show on and trying these things.

That was a tired old format. It was no longer working and that's why Channel 4 got rid of it. They have to try and come up with fresh ideas. You can't just rely on the housemates to create an entertaining show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is evolving and then making a mess. BB US do a different twist every year and its still as good as series two.. One was a mess and they learned. IMO.
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree watched bb au 2014 and the brilliant bb au 2013.
    I have just started au 2012.

These were such an antidote to bb UK 15 .

If channel 5 treat the viewers of this summers bb16 with the same disrespect as they have with this cbb they will loose viewers.

Why don't they just relay the international shows and cancel the UK show ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artemis1 wrote: »
    Yes I agree watched bb au 2014 and the brilliant bb au 2013.
    I have just started au 2012.

These were such an antidote to bb UK 15 .

If channel 5 treat the viewers of this summers bb16 with the same disrespect as they have with this cbb they will loose viewers.

Why don't they just relay the international shows and cancel the UK show ?

Great idea. I wait up until 1am 3 nights a week to watch US when its on I'd just watch it on C5 if they did that.
  • johnanjohnan Posts: 3,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Normal" housemates not playing " the game", really well thought out tasks, and discipline where BB is in charge but also has a sense of humour would be entertaining to me. And a lot more fulfilling to the housemates.
    With of course live feed, an absolute must.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you get used to the whole set up of the show its amazing. No public vote and its about who can play the best game. I love it. Julie Chen is a great host too. :)

Sounds good already. Do you know when it starts? I thought I read the Canadian one is in March.

Thanks for the tips. :)