Options

The Amityville Horror

pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,595
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wasnt sure whether to put this in Books, movies or GD...

I'm currently reading the book of 'The Amityville horror'.
I believe in ghosts, there are many things that happen that we just cant explain blah, blah, blah...

But I dont believe this story, i dont know why, it just all strikes me as nonsense.
Just wondering what anyone who had read the book/seen the film/read about the case thought of it and its truthfulness.

The woman is currently being stalked by a ceramic lion and the ghost has stolen money :p

Comments

• Options
    Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I think we had our own Amityville Horror, in the name of Jeremy Bamber:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bamber
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Since some of those involved have openly admitted that they made it up, I think you can reasonably assume it was a hoax...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Since some of those involved have openly admitted that they made it up, I think you can reasonably assume it was a hoax...

Really? I didnt know that. Answers my question then :) cheers
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't this more to do with the fact that they had bitten off more than they could chew with the mortgage and laid on a 'haunted house' story as an attempt to get out of it? As ghost don't exist, the whole thing was always bollox!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the book, scared the shit out of me- but I read it as a teenager about 20 years ago.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasnt sure whether to put this in Books, movies or GD...

I'm currently reading the book of 'The Amityville horror'.
    I believe in ghosts, there are many things that happen that we just cant explain blah, blah, blah...

But I dont believe this story, i dont know why, it just all strikes me as nonsense.
    Just wondering what anyone who had read the book/seen the film/read about the case thought of it and its truthfulness.

The woman is currently being stalked by a ceramic lion and the ghost has stolen money :p

I think it was pretty much determined that the Lutz family either made it up, or grossly exaggerated everything that has happened.

I love the paranormal, and can't believe, that there is no residual horror lurking around that house due to what happened to the original family.

However the subsequent family claim that nothing ever happened to them, although it does make me wonder who would actually ever want to live there.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    I think it was pretty much determined that the Lutz family either made it up, or grossly exaggerated everything that has happened.

I love the paranormal, and can't believe, that there is no residual horror lurking around that house due to what happened to the original family.

However the subsequent family claim that nothing ever happened to them, although it does make me wonder who would actually ever want to live there.

The house still stands and is lived in and the has been altered dramatically to lose the Amityville look. Subsequent owners have clearly been downplaying the whole thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to wiki the lutzes still were adamant till their deaths that the events were true. I have a new copy of the book and it states that it's a true story. Surprised they can put that on the front with no actual proof
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stayed in a BnB in Bournemouth years ago called The Amytiville. It was run by similar characters ha ha.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been models made of the Amityville house.

http://johnstewartart.deviantart.com/art/The-Amityville-Horror-house-scale-model-317023927

Pull2Open wrote: »
    The house still stands and is lived in and the has been altered dramatically to lose the Amityville look. Subsequent owners have clearly been downplaying the whole thing.

I don't think it looks much different to be honest, you can tell instantly that it's the Amityville house.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't it turn out to have been concocted by the Lutz's and their Lawyer over a couple of bottles of wine? The real Amityville horror is the murder of the Defeo family by son and brother Ronnie. That was horrific.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Didn't it turn out to have been concocted by the Lutz's and their Lawyer over a couple of bottles of wine? The real Amityville horror is the murder of the Defeo family by son and brother Ronnie. That was horrific.
    Indeed. I always thought it was tasteless to trivialise those murders by suggesting Defeo was possessed by a demon at the time.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to wiki the lutzes still were adamant till their deaths that the events were true. I have a new copy of the book and it states that it's a true story. Surprised they can put that on the front with no actual proof
    Why are you surprised? Psychic Sally, Derek Acorah and many other mediums and ghosthunters can get "non-fiction" books published recounting their conveniently unprovable encounters with the spirits. David Icke can write books claiming the world is run by lizard people. Pretty much any wild claim can get published as "non-fiction" as long as the publisher's legal team doesn't think a living person will sue.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. I always thought it was tasteless to trivialise those murders by suggesting Defeo was possessed by a demon at the time.

Yes and even more tasteless to concoct such a bullshit story to make money out of such an atrocity.

Shame on the Lutz's. >:(
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can see the actual house on Google Streetview. The one in the film was in Chicago.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/112+Ocean+Ave,+Amityville,+NY+11701,+USA/@40.666573,-73.415132,3a,75y,110.44h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1cJkaTvyoU5L8vPnnrDz_g!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e9d453a13e18ab:0xdc90c1dd41e46bff

Jay Anson admitted the book was concocted with the Lutzes over many glasses of wine.