Options

Is There Anything To Treat Gnat and Mozzy Bites?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been bitten to hell in this country, so who knows what will happen in Spain??:eek: I've tried Savlon, Germolene, Sudocrem, Afterbite.

Do you have any suggestions to treat the European might of the more evil of biters?

Thanks so much:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Oz we have a product called STINGOES and works a treat. Also I have found that a dab of alcohol based products helps as well (aftershave, perfume that sort of thing). Also up your Vitamin B intake, insects hate the changes it makes to the smell of your blood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krytas wrote: »
    Here in Oz we have a product called STINGOES and works a treat. Also I have found that a dab of alcohol based products helps as well (aftershave, perfume that sort of thing). Also up your Vitamin B intake, insects hate the changes it makes to the smell of your blood.

Thanks for that can I buy STINGOES in the UK?:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to say I'm not sure!! Maybe a chemist can help you.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that can I buy STINGOES in the UK?:)

Amazon, if it's the same stuff

stingose

chemist direct

stingose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Amazon, if it's the same stuff

stingose

chemist direct

stingose

I will try the chemists tomorrow (well today really!) Thanks so much :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Hydrocortisone cream, works nicely!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steroid cream from the chemist (:
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I get bitten over here the bites become inflamed and itch like mad. The mozzy bites I get in Spain don't affect me at all aside from a small spot.

Weird.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    eat marmite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Try 'After Bite'. You can buy it from most chemists, it comes in a pen like tube with a roller ball top. All you do is roll it over the bite and it takes the itching away and makes the swelling go down.

Brilliant for sports near water and festivals :D (and for countering being nibbled to death in your own bed by mozzies).
  • Options
    ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    I'm another one in favour of Stingose to take away that itch from a mozzie bite. I've tried a few different remedies since I came to Australia and that is the one that works best for me.
  • Options
    Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely swear by Witch Doctor gel - witch hazel in a gel form which you can slather all over your bites and stops the itch almost instantly - as many times as you like (something I doubt you could do with a hydrocortisone cream)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Apparently Avon's 'Skin-So-Soft' range is supposed to be a good repellent for mozzies and midges. I can't remember whether the oil or cream is better - but perhaps if you google it!

It worked for me in Scotland during high season. The other things that are supposed to be good are eating garlic and yeast extract, keeping away from still water during dawn and sunset hours, and wearing light coloured clothes. :)
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eat marmite.

Agree. I eat marmite every day and have never been bitten by a mosquito.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Like the previous person I use witch hazel. My husband uses a liquid that contains amonia ...hurts like hell but then hey presto the itch has gone. Think it only hurt because he had scrathed the bite open. Someone said that your own saliva is fantastic for stopping the itch. I had one on my elbow so couldn't try that at the time and I didn't want to stop a stranger on the street. Well not unless David Beckham was in Marbella....As an aside if you have a spider problem, not bites, fear...then try Cockroach Spray, it is truly wooooonderful stuff.
    Just don't inhale if you want to live to see next year....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you need are Piriton tablets. They'll have all your bites cleared up in about 24-48 hours - they did with me anyway and saves messing about the creams. You can buy it over the counter at any chemist. I got mine from the chemist section of my local Sainsbury's and it cost me about 2 quid.
  • Options
    PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find your nearest Forever Living Aloe Vera sales person (or PM me and I'll give you my lady's details) and get their forever lips stick. Seriously, I took two to Mexico last year and I wish I'd taken more - I could have made a fortune. It's just like a chapstick tube and you just dab it on the bite, don't rub it in and it takes the itching away and the bite is healed in about 3/4 days - amazing stuff.

My husband got seriously bitten on a day out but I used the stick on him and he was amazed at no itching and the healing process. First time ever I've come back from abroad without awful infected mozzie bites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    there's one called Anthisan.

It stops the itching and also has anti-histamine in it. You can get it in Boots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neat TCP always works for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the UK use Anthisan and take it with you to Spain. It is really the best. If you forget to take it on your holidays, in Spain go to a chemist and ask for Fenegan cream, it´s the same as Anthisan. I use them both all the time as the little blighters love me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avon Skin so Soft does work - I'd forgotten to pack my insect repellent when we went camping a few weeks ago and we were besieged by midges. The site owner sold it in her shop - it's the spray on one in a green bottle.

I find prevention better than cure though - Boots spray on insect repellent is a good one (in a silver can). Just don't inhale once you've sprayed - yuk. It kept me safe in Egypt. Whenever I get bitten I end up having to have antibiotics as the bites become infected so take some repellent too.

Have a good holiday.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Tiger balm or Vick's vapor rub. They both stop the stinging straight away.

Avon's Skin-So-Soft works brilliantly as a mosquito repellent!