Options

Have you ever stopped watching a soap after a particular character left?

PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
Forum Member
And the show just seemed so much worse without them in the show?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I have.
  • Options
    BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching Hollyoaks after Zoe Carpenter left, it had started to go downhill a good twelve months before her exit but because a few big characters' were leaving throught 2009 I decided to watch there exits'. Zoe's exit was the last of the big characters' so stopped watching because it had become really bad, but I am watching last weeks episodes in preperation for Warren Fox's return, the show seems to be much better than what it was in 2009 and early to mid 2010, but it's no where near the greatness of 2006-2008.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Neighbours became crap without Carmella and Elle.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always tell myself when somebody i love dies/leaves im never going to watch again.. But most of the time the soap is much bigger than the character :)
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Err kind of - I was getting bored with Neighbours from about 1997-ish - I was watching out of habit (watched since 1986) - When they killed off Helen (in the UK in 1998) it sort of made up my mind, and I stopped - and haven't watched since
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stopped watching Corrie when Liam died.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped watching Home and Away once Aden left!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Stopped watching Corrie when Liam died.

This^^ But have eventually got back into it since the beginning of the year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Came close in 2006 after Sharon, Dennis, Chrissie and Kat left and the crap they were doing to Pauline. Such a dreadful year. Gradually I was pulled back in but the show has never quite been the same IMO. But it is finally getting better after years of crap.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,871
    Forum Member
    Not so much a soap but stopped watching The Bill after Burnside and Roach left. They where brilliant. Dashwood was cool too and I was well gutted whe Ramsay was killed off.

Years later i started rewatching it and they where still killing off the cool guys. Rob Thathcer was brilliant and they killed him off. Think the actor is in Hollyoaks now but doesn't look like he's playing a cool guy as much.

Never wanted Grant Mitchell or Dennis Rickman to leave EE.

Hated in when Lance and Martin left Home and Away, they where SOOOOO Funny!

Same with Henry in Neighbours!
  • Options
    princesstinprincesstin Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Not so much a soap but stopped watching The Bill after Burnside and Roach left. They where brilliant. Dashwood was cool too and I was well gutted whe Ramsay was killed off.

Years later i started rewatching it and they where still killing off the cool guys. Rob Thathcer was brilliant and they killed him off. Think the actor is in Hollyoaks now but doesn't look like he's playing a cool guy as much.

Never wanted Grant Mitchell or Dennis Rickman to leave EE.

Hated in when Lance and Martin left Home and Away, they where SOOOOO Funny!

Same with Henry in Neighbours!

I'm not going to lie. Again, not so much a soap, but when I heard Linden
    Faye, Joseph, and Connie
    were all leaving Holby City I almost lost the will to live. But then I decided to keep watching because of Jac and Frieda. :D
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Hollyoaks after Zoe Carpenter left, it had started to go downhill a good twelve months before her exit but because a few big characters' were leaving throught 2009 I decided to watch there exits'. Zoe's exit was the last of the big characters' so stopped watching because it had become really bad, but I am watching last weeks episodes in preperation for Warren Fox's return, the show seems to be much better than what it was in 2009 and early to mid 2010, but it's no where near the greatness of 2006-2008.
    Zoe was probably one of the last to close that era of HCC students, really liked her with Zack and Kris.

I stopped watching Neighbours when Madge died, started losing its touch.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have stopped watching Eastenders because of the exits of Madeline Duggan, Melissa Suffield and Charlie Jones. If the characters had left I wouldn't have a problem. But for the producers unfortunate and bizarre decision to sack them all and bring in three new actors to play them. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did struggle to stick with Eastenders after the end of 2005 when Chrissie, Kat, Sharon, Dennis, Alfie and Sam Mitchell all left and Den, Zoe and Andy had also been lost throughout the year. I think I only switched off for a week or two though haha
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    I did struggle to stick with Eastenders after the end of 2005 when Chrissie, Kat, Sharon, Dennis, Alfie and Sam Mitchell all left and Den, Zoe and Andy had also been lost throughout the year. I think I only switched off for a week or two though haha

^ Exactly the same but I actually switched off for a couple of years, started getting back into it when the Mitchell girls joined.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does The Bill count?

I stopped watching the day Des Taviner died in the police cell, not because I thought the character was the show or couldn't go on without it, but at that point just felt the show had lost it's way and was no longer about the good of the characters because they had ruined a few by then, this one was just the last straw really.
  • Options
    sammie1millionsammie1million Posts: 9,970
    Forum Member
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    ^ Exactly the same but I actually switched off for a couple of years, started getting back into it when the Mitchell girls joined.

I did the same lol. I stopped watching once Kat and Alfie left and started watching again when the Mitchell Sisters arrived :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching HO when Sarah and Zoe left but it's a bit of a lie that i stopped because of them it was just getting so bad. In fact i didn't even watch the regular show after Sarah's death episode and have no idea what happened to Zoe but i don't miss it, it was getting bad.

I also stopped watching H&A after Belle's death. I liked it up to then and it was something i watched when feeding the baby but he got older and things changed so i stopped watching.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Holby when Mr. Meyer left. I had a real thing for him. :)
  • Options
    Simon-SmithSimon-Smith Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped watching Home and Away once Aden left!

i did too, but started watching again a couple of weeks later
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never happened with me
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose many threatened to stop watching EE when Danielle was killed off last year, which I'm surprised hasn't merited a mention on this thread until now but as with many who say such things, they probably didn't mean it. I'm sure others have made similarly false boycotting threats in years gone by too! I never have as it is only fiction after all......!
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching Casualty for a while after Jonathan Kerrigan left. I loved him as gay nurse Sam.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching Hollyoaks for the McDean storyline and stopped after they left. I suppose I did enjoy the soap as a whole throughout the storyline but in the end there was nothing else to hold my interest. IMO its just never been as good as the main 3.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,962
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    I stopped watching Holby when Mr. Meyer left. I had a real thing for him. :)

i did when Sam left as i only started watching because of him. i watch it the odd time but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it