Options

XBOX 360 vs PS 3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
Forum Member
So, christmas is coming, and looking to buy a replacement for an XBOX for 11 year old son
We are not hard core gamers, and he enjoys driving games (e.g. more need for speed than Forza, but this will change as he grows ;)) He is also playing Warcraft on the PC at the moment.

So, which platform should I buy?

PS3 seems to offer slightly better value for money (bigger disk, blueray).
Can they both be used as media players?
I know about XBOX live, is there something similar for PS3. What are the relative costs (in Europe).
I am also slighty worried about XBOX red screen of death (our XBOX died with disk failure)
Thanks for any feedback, or links to independent reviews.
Cheers,
Steven
(Actually, I am suprised that are not very many threads in this forum)

Comments

• Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,722
    Forum Member
    moogyd wrote: »
    So, christmas is coming, and looking to buy a replacement for an XBOX for 11 year old son He is also playing Warcraft on the PC at the moment.
    Is WoW suitable for an 11 year old?

Edit: Yes it is (well 12 but close enough).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wash wrote: »
    To be honest, I've never really looked at it in detail (it's called the "Frozen throne", and is not the online verson)
    However, from what I've seen, it's not exactly Grand Theft Auto.

(In fact, all I know about WoW is based on the South Park episode....)

Edit: Which is definitely not sutable for an 11 (or 12) year old :D

Steven
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I am relatively new here but I can throw in my two cents on a few pros/cons of both consoles.

I am in no way a 'fanboy' of either but for gaming I will say that the 360 is your better choice if you are looking to buy the new 250GB S Console (Kinect Ready).

Both are excellent media players but the PS3 has a lovely Blu Ray drive (My main incentive for buying the PS3 in the first place), The ability to stream and store media from your home PC on to your PS3 and lastly you have an Internet browser which you can use to look up Youtube and BBC iPlayer (iPlayer is on the media bar of the PS3 but still uses the browser to work).

The 360 has the same ability to stream media from your PC but not store like the PS3 (You can store movies if you buy them from the Zune marketplace of the 360).

Gaming wise you get online gaming for free with the PS3 but for 360 you have to pay for (Prices differ on your situation) but 360 has a bigger base of players (In my personal opinion... no offense to PS3 players).

As for the Red Ring of Death and the PS3 failure (I'm not sure of the term used to describe that) I have yet to encounter either but seeing as I moderately use both consoles I don't think i'll have it for quite a while.

Also if you are looking for a good program to stream to PS3/360 I recommend Tversity. Depending on your PC speed/type of file you are streaming you might have different results.

Hope this helps but i'm sure you will have more users posting their opinions here :)
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, christmas is coming, and looking to buy a replacement for an XBOX for 11 year old son
    We are not hard core gamers, and he enjoys driving games (e.g. more need for speed than Forza, but this will change as he grows ;)) He is also playing Warcraft on the PC at the moment.

So, which platform should I buy?

PS3 seems to offer slightly better value for money (bigger disk, blueray).
    Can they both be used as media players?
    I know about XBOX live, is there something similar for PS3. What are the relative costs (in Europe).
    I am also slighty worried about XBOX red screen of death (our XBOX died with disk failure)
    Thanks for any feedback, or links to independent reviews.
    Cheers,
    Steven
    (Actually, I am suprised that are not very many threads in this forum)

Xbox 360's offer similar hard-drive capacity to the PS3, although having anything bigger than 250gb is ridiculous anyway.

Both can be used as media players. The PS3 obviously plays blu-ray's and DVD's, and it also has BBC iPlayer access too. The Xbox 360 also plays DVD's and has access to the Sky Player, which allows you to watch live Sky TV and watch other shows too.

PS3 has the Playstation Network, a free online service which works in the same fashion as Xbox Live.

The new Xbox models have a relatively low failure rate, the PS3's also have their "yellow light of death", but i don't think either is more likely to happen over the other.

Edit: Yes it is (well 12 but close enough).

Why wouldn't it be? :confused:
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own both consoles and would have to say the PS3.

It's mainly about the person though. I prefer the exclusives on the PS3 and find they are much more diverse. I love Forza & Mass Effect on 360 but really that's about it.

Blu Ray - It's great...I watch a lot of movies so big bonus for me here.

PSN/XBL - I've had gold XBL once and hardly used it...I already had a PS3 quite a while before and most of my mates had a PS3 so I got my third party games on PS3...hence not using it. Some people prefer the community on XBL and some prefer it on PSN...another one of those that depends on the user I guess.

Media hub - You can change the Hard drive for more storage easily but nowerdays they come with quite a bit of space anyway. As I love my movies and music I have them all stored on the PS3 ready to use where as you have to stream them on xbox. Also the globe on the PSN is bloody awesome.

Gran Turismo & Uncharted should be good enough reason :cool:

Oh and by the way..WoW can soak up and eat your life :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CarlosVela wrote: »
    Xbox 360's offer similar hard-drive capacity to the PS3, although having anything bigger than 250gb is ridiculous anyway.

The Xbox 360 also plays DVD's and has access to the Sky Player, which allows you to watch live Sky TV and watch other shows too.

I find the 250GB is very handy for the 360 if you like to install games to the hard drive to reduce the noise emitting and quicker load times. I can see it helping me big time when my nieces/nephew start smudging/scratching the discs when they change games :)

The Sky Player is another good feature but I am on Virgin Media but if you have Sky Multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited you can have a few channels to view on your 360 via a good internet connection (The bonus with this is if you have Sky Movies you can watch up to 500 movies on demand).
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RangersFan wrote: »
    I find the 250GB is very handy for the 360 if you like to install games to the hard drive to reduce the noise emitting and quicker load times. I can see it helping me big time when my nieces/nephew start smudging/scratching the discs when they change games :)

The Sky Player is another good feature but I am on Virgin Media but if you have Sky Multiroom or Sky Broadband Unlimited you can have a few channels to view on your 360 via a good internet connection (The bonus with this is if you have Sky Movies you can watch up to 500 movies on demand).

I may add that the PS3 has access to Lovefilm (for a fee) which gives you 5000 films on demand.

I own both and would say both are excellent, you can't really go wrong. The PS3 has some nice additional features like iPlayer, Freeview+, Lovefilm, Movi, Blu-ray and a Web Browser, but if your not interested in these feature then I would go for a 360.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the feedback.

The majority of replies (and other places I looked), indicated that both systems were very closely matched, with a very slight preference for the PS3.

I also know that PS3 seems to be slightly more popular amongst friends and neighbors, so the decision has been made, and PS3 (bundled with Gran Turismo 5) is in the post.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Steven
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    I may add that the PS3 has access to Lovefilm (for a fee) which gives you 5000 films on demand.

I own both and would say both are excellent, you can't really go wrong. The PS3 has some nice additional features like iPlayer, Freeview+, Lovefilm, Movi, Blu-ray and a Web Browser, but if your not interested in these feature then I would go for a 360.

I haven't tried LoveFilm yet cos I have a Love/Hate relationship with them regarding their service. I have heard though that the choice of movies on the LoveFilm player is lackluster and that no new releases are on there but it's been a month since I checked.

And good point on the Freeview+ thingy I haven't tried that yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't tried LoveFilm yet cos I have a Love/Hate relationship with them regarding their service. I have heard though that the choice of movies on the LoveFilm player is lackluster and that no new releases are on there but it's been a month since I checked.

And good point on the Freeview+ thingy I haven't tried that yet.

I have a PlayTV box for freeview through my PS3 I love being able to record things to the PS3 hard drive. I have loads of films I've recorded from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a PlayTV box for freeview through my PS3 I love being able to record things to the PS3 hard drive. I have loads of films I've recorded from it.

I would have loved something like that a while back before getting my V+ box. Even then I find nothing to record on it apart from the odd episode of The Simpsons or the football lol

How much space does a movie recording take on average on PlayTV/PS3 Hard Drive?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have loved something like that a while back before getting my V+ box. Even then I find nothing to record on it apart from the odd episode of The Simpsons or the football lol

How much space does a movie recording take on average on PlayTV/PS3 Hard Drive?

I'm not sure but can't be that much really. I have a 320gb hard drive with quite a bit of stuff downloaded from PSN, stuff such as films I've recorded from PlayTV and still have about 198gb left I think.

I'm actually cancelling my Virgin Media to use PlayTV full time as 95% of channels I watch are on freeview so makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the feedback.

The majority of replies (and other places I looked), indicated that both systems were very closely matched, with a very slight preference for the PS3.

I also know that PS3 seems to be slightly more popular amongst friends and neighbors, so the decision has been made, and PS3 (bundled with Gran Turismo 5) is in the post.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Steven

As soon as you said you weren't a hardcore gamer i was all set to recommend PS3.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I'd say a PS3 as it would be a good match for an 11 year old with the types of games he'd be likely to want to play now and over the next few years. Plus he'd had a Blu Ray player as well, quite handy.
  • Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,722
    Forum Member
    Jon79 wrote: »
    As soon as you said you weren't a hardcore gamer i was all set to recommend PS3.

What are you saying? The PS3 isn't for hardcore gamers? Or that the 360 is a better games console? Which to either you answer "yes" then you're just sooo wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    What are you saying? The PS3 isn't for hardcore gamers? Or that the 360 is a better games console? Which to either you answer "yes" then you're just sooo wrong.

I don't think he was saying either so I'm not sure where your coming from. The PS3 has some really good none hardcore games, LBP, Modnation Racers, loads of excellent PSN titles, better than XBLA in my opinion.

Nowhere in his post did he say the PS3 isn't for hardcore gamers.

Where does he say in his post the 360 is the better console? He doesn't even mention the 360.

I noticed in his services he has 360/PS3, you have PS3... not that that would have anything to do with your over reaction.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LBP is a hardcore game in the same way Mario is.

LBP is as hardcore as it gets. Platforming. Co-Op. Level design. Level publishing.

Truth Or Lie! is a non hardcore game.

Really annoys me when people think hardcore games are exclusively shooters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »
    LBP is a hardcore game in the same way Mario is.

LBP is as hardcore as it gets. Platforming. Co-Op. Level design. Level publishing.

Truth Or Lie! is a non hardcore game.

Really annoys me when people think hardcore games are exclusively shooters.

Those characteristics don't make a hardcore game.

Any game can be hardcore if the gamer playing it, is dedicated enough.

Its opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_gamer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capt.Smead wrote: »
    Those characteristics don't make a hardcore game.

Any game can be hardcore if the gamer playing it, is dedicated enough.

Its opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_gamer

Platforming game = hardcore

Interactive spin the bottle / Dancing with Davina McCall = casual
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The OP and his son aren't hardcore gamers, but they may love playing a hardcore game like LBP. So does it really matter if the game is HC or not?

So why would anyone question someones post that recommends the PS3 to a none hardcore gamer, its insulting to the PS3.

Edit - I used LBP because its a good example of a game none gamers love to have a play on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what you're talking about. . .I'm only referring to the fact LBP was mentioned as being a "non-hardcore" game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no idea what you're talking about. . .I'm only referring to the fact LBP was mentioned as being a "non-hardcore" game.

If you read my original post you would know what I'm on about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Soundburst how do find time for gaming? With you being a candidate for Sony CEO and working in argos, all that between your 26 posts per day on ds, not forgetting your BSc Ma :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    Soundburst how do find time for gaming? With you being a candidate for Sony CEO and working in argos, all that between your 26 posts per day on ds, not forgetting your BSc Ma :D

Really? No wonder I can't win an argument with the guy. My GCSE's are no match.