Options

"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At?

Comments

• Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well I am for one when it appears I will change channel or catch up anything i miss on ITV with my PS3 :D so I am sorted there!
  • Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info re Primevil!!!!

And it would not surprise me if STV allow us to see the last 2 Midsomer Murders with John Nettles. There will be so much coverage in the papers as he finaly says goodbye to the murder capital of the West, STV might find themselves under more vocal attack than ever if they refused us the chance to say goodbye.

Interesting if we now get the missing 'Doc Martin' series - and 'Kingdom' perhaps? - as STV will be able to buy these a bit cheaper.....we shall see.

Or maybe not.

But it will be hilarious if STV begin to trail these missing shows as "jewels in their winter line up", having previously (and repeatedly) assured its long suffering viewers that they were "not relevent" to Scotland and did not have a great following.

And of course, "costume drama does not perform well in Scotland". Particularly when you don't give your viewers the chance to see it.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »

And it would not surprise me if STV allow us to see the last 2 Midsomer Murders with John Nettles. There will be so much coverage in the papers as he finaly says goodbye to the murder capital of the West, STV might find themselves under more vocal attack than ever if they refused us the chance to say goodbye.

Interesting if we now get the missing 'Doc Martin' series - and 'Kingdom' perhaps? - as STV will be able to buy these a bit cheaper.....we shall see.

Or maybe not.

But it will be hilarious if STV begin to trail these missing shows as "jewels in their winter line up", having previously (and repeatedly) assured its long suffering viewers that they were "not relevent" to Scotland and did not have a great following.

And of course, "costume drama does not perform well in Scotland". Particularly when you don't give your viewers the chance to see it.....:rolleyes:

be it all on STV managements head with it all :) its alright though they will force feed you "underbelly" though. Now thats a programme not even relevant to the UK or Scotland! I think STV does not understand what it stands for.

I noticed tonight news coverage was covered by "scottish"(glasgow not Grampian) is that due to the holidays?
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angustay wrote: »
    New series of underbelly is on it's way next year and will get priority over whatever ITV puts on as it makes STV more money as they don't have to pay out anything to ITV or share any profits or advertising revenue. All money back in STV pockets.
    I'm a bit surprised that STV are keeping Underbelly at 9pm considering the previous series on STV was a massive ratings flop, only getting 10% of the viewing audience whereas ITV was getting double that. It was one of the worst rated 9pm dramas on STV in years! Couldn't they move it to 10:35pm which is a more appropriate slot for the show anyway for people to see the uncut version of Underbelly?

Must be an awfully cheap programme for STV to get, but in no way "relevant" to Scottish viewers which was STV's argument when they started opting out of ITV dramas.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    boycot STV go to ITV1
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    boycot STV go to ITV1

Agreed. If you have Sky, Channel 993 is your friend. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. If you have Sky, Channel 993 is your friend. :)

its even better on the PS3 ... if you own one change the postcode and get ITV1 catch-up :)

Just before I changed i notice STV aint got much on its player either and their site for programmes need updated also!

Still have "conquer the castle" up ... how old is that now and does STV broadcast it (no) but Sky3 usually re-runs it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised that STV are keeping Underbelly at 9pm considering the previous series on STV was a massive ratings flop, only getting 10% of the viewing audience whereas ITV was getting double that. It was one of the worst rated 9pm dramas on STV in years! Couldn't they move it to 10:35pm which is a more appropriate slot for the show anyway for people to see the uncut version of Underbelly?

Must be an awfully cheap programme for STV to get, but in no way "relevant" to Scottish viewers which was STV's argument when they started opting out of ITV dramas.

they must be able to afford "paying" the actors! lol but can not do it with their OWN programmes!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »

Funny how they become "relevant to Scottish viewers" if they get decent viewing figures!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »

Or maybe not.

Well being honest they never shown the last 2 episodes ever of "the bill" which I thought they would as a "one off" how wrong was I. So in short don't bank on it all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Funny how they become "relevant to Scottish viewers" if they get decent viewing figures!

Thats a bit of a stupid comment to make given that, rightly or wrongly, STV's justification for not showing programmes that are "not relevant to Scottish viewers" is because of viewership (whether or not that is really the case is up for debate). Programmes like Al Murray's Happy Hour and Moving Wallpaper are such examples. If programmes were to get decent viewing figures that would imply they are "relevant to Scottish viewers" simply because they interest the Scottish viewing public. "relevant to Scottish viewers" doesn't have to mean a programme that is overtly Scottish or is about Scotland. Hence how the first series of Underbelly, a crime drama, performed better for STV than Married Single Other, an urbanite 'Cold Feet', would have done, regardless of where they were filmed. This justification has rather been stretched for some programmes, however.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KingThing wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a stupid comment to make given that, rightly or wrongly, STV's justification for not showing programmes that are "not relevant to Scottish viewers" is because of viewership (whether or not that is really the case is up for debate). Programmes like Al Murray's Happy Hour and Moving Wallpaper are such examples. If programmes were to get decent viewing figures that would imply they are "relevant to Scottish viewers" simply because they interest the Scottish viewing public. "relevant to Scottish viewers" doesn't have to mean a programme that is overtly Scottish or is about Scotland. Hence how the first series of Underbelly, a crime drama, performed better for STV than Married Single Other, an urbanite 'Cold Feet', would have done, regardless of where they were filmed. This justification has rather been stretched for some programmes, however.

So it is nothing to do with "relevance", bums on seats in front of the TV is all that matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    So what exactly is a "Scottish viewer". Is it someone who was born in Scotland,lives in Scotland, or what.
    When I go to the supermarket the checkout operator can be from any part of the UK.
    You will hear as many English accents as you do local. Scotland has moved on from the days of haggis and heather.
    Many people have moved here for work.
    Stv are not catering for the people who actually live here in NE Scotland.
    What Stv thinks is relevant to Scottish viewers is so wide of the mark its a joke.
  • Options
    angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "not relevant to Scottish viewers"

Ofcom originally said that in a statement and the newspapers jumped all over it. Never actually said by anyone at STV. One of the many quotes in history that the media got wrong.:D
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because the quote was actually "programmes that are cheap as chips".:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Ofcom originally said that in a statement and the newspapers jumped all over it. Never actually said by anyone at STV. One of the many quotes in history that the media got wrong.:D

Sorry Rob Woodward talks about delivering a schedule "relevant to Stv's audience":

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/itv-opt-out-makes-stv-more-relevant-1.927145

He also said he did not want a schedule broadcast from London.

Thus when Stv's does opt out from a programme it is because it is not relevant to Scotland.

However, that is bollocks! It is only about opting out of expensive drama and showing cheap foreign imports form Oz or RTE etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Rob Woodward talks about delivering a schedule "relevant to Stv's audience":

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/itv-opt-out-makes-stv-more-relevant-1.927145

He also said he did not want a schedule broadcast from London.

Thus when Stv's does opt out from a programme it is because it is not relevant to Scotland.

However, that is bollocks! It is only about opting out of expensive drama and showing cheap foreign imports form Oz or RTE etc.

I think Rob Woodward has access to ITV1 London, One does question if all employees of stv have cable or sky and are lucky to switch off from stv?

As my own argument earlier why do they not re run "rebus" and "cracker" on their schedules than "cheap foreign imports form Oz or RTE etc" but then again they can not "afford" to pay (yeah right I believe that when pigs can fly)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    I think Rob Woodward has access to ITV1 London, One does question if all employees of stv have cable or sky and are lucky to switch off from stv?

As my own argument earlier why do they not re run "rebus" and "cracker" on their schedules than "cheap foreign imports form Oz or RTE etc" but then again they can not "afford" to pay (yeah right I believe that when pigs can fly)

They cannot afford to repeat any of their own drama like Taggart (before the last 6), Rebus, Dr Finlay etc in Stv only as they have to pay all the actors and writer 25% of their fee. Therefore, it is cheaper to buy a programme in from Oz or Ireland. So any money they pay out shoots straight out of Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "not relevant to Scottish viewers"
    But opting out of ITV programmes allowed STV to make a more "relevant" and "compelling" schedule for Scotland, he said.

Two entirely different statements meaning completely different things. He talks about making things more relevant for Scottish viewers does not suggest anywhere that ITV programming is not relevant. If that was the case all ITV programming would be gone but only a very small % is.

“the majority of Scots have satellite or cable TV and with the future of Freeview uncertain many broadcasters see them as irrelevant"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Two entirely different statements meaning completely different things. He talks about making things more relevant for Scottish viewers does not suggest anywhere that ITV programming is not relevant. If that was the case all ITV programming would be gone but only a very small % is.

“the majority of Scots have satellite or cable TV and with the future of Freeview uncertain many broadcasters see them as irrelevant"

Semantics, I'm afraid!! How is a drama set in Australia more relevant & compelling to Scotland than "Joe Maddison's War" (another Stv opt out) set in Newcastle and about World War 2?

It's not, it is cheaper.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV's opt-out yesterday, De-Lovely, was a major ratings flop for STV. On the ITV network in all other regions, a brand new episode of Agatha Christie's Marple averaged a respectable 21% audience share. However on STV between 8-10pm, De-Lovely only got 84,600 (4.5%) - an absolutely shocking audience share :eek:.

Could that be STV's worst ever peak-time rating?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They cannot afford to repeat any of their own drama like Taggart (before the last 6), Rebus, Dr Finlay etc in Stv only as they have to pay all the actors and writer 25% of their fee. Therefore, it is cheaper to buy a programme in from Oz or Ireland. So any money they pay out shoots straight out of Scotland.

im in total agreement with you everytime supersaint but I have to laugh at when they claim to be in "profit" but they can show "cheap" crap that has no relevance and that includes "being victor" the channel is a joke, if it was more "scottish" focused should have been done when first started then.

Another issue with stv: It annoys me that the output is always glasweigan than anything else. More of Scotland OUTSIDE glasgow, so why not do a programme (example "the hour") with hosts from the "grampian" area? but wait it mostly broadcasts from glasgow. As I said on other posts stv might as well be called GTV as im sure they want all us scots turn glasweigan! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semantics, I'm afraid!! How is a drama set in Australia more relevant & compelling to Scotland than "Joe Maddison's War" (another Stv opt out) set in Newcastle and about World War 2?

It's not, it is cheaper.

possibly they found out the programme had "scotland" mentioned or featured hence the reason of showing it :confused:

But then again if you complain to stv about the programmes they show they will just give you the usual bull :rolleyes:
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about that "benidorm" special that boomed! and no one complained, but if stv show a crap show people complain?

angustay, do you know if Doc martin S4 will be broadcast, I be honset if that could be done it would heal alot of bridges, most of the other stuff could stay in the bin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do know their showing Doc Martin next year but to be honest I am not sure what series. I believe they have the rights to more drama in 2011 but not all from ITV. Doc Martin was currently showing some episodes on Wednesday afternoons that will continue next week not sure what series though. Martin Clunes Man from Mantra won't be shown straight away either.

The last time I watched Doc Martin it was a series of films on SKY never really got into the Tv series as the cast apart from Clunes was all different as was the look of the town and the whole feel was wrong.

If I get anymore info I will pass it on.
This discussion has been closed.