Options

If you could make a great discovery...

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What would you like it to be? :)

The elixir of immortality? (but continue to age physically as well as chronologically)

The secret of eternal youth? (the scientific ability to stop the biological ageing process once you reach the biological age you'd like to be, but continue to age chronologically & eventually die as normal)

Time travel?

Intergalactic space travel?

Teleportation (Star Trek style... No more reliance on planes & trains)

Cure for cancer?

Something else?

I fancy teleportation or time travel as that would be a lot of fun, but think I'd go for the secret of eternal youth cos I'm vain :o plus I would be a billionaire if I market it as a pill or potion :cool:

In fact discovering any of the above would make you a very rich person :)

Comments

• Options
    ArcticFoxArcticFox Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Time travel as long as you couldnt pollute the time line, just be an observer.

Id love to go into the past and see the dinosaurs, ancient rome to see the romans and gladiators, maybe see if this jesus stuff was real, see camelot/king arthur and his knights etc..
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Perpetual motion, I'd be a billionaire and my children would be set for life.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God.

• Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faster than light travel.

The Human Empire conquoring all before it, their warships powered by the Graathus Drive.

Or

Humanities descendants living in caves curse the name Graathus for bring the alien overlords to Earth and burning her cities.

Win/Win really.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Enough food to feed the entire world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    God.

I think there's more chance of perpetual motion than proof of a mythical character. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good one might be nuclear fusion or some other easily produced cheap & limitless supply of energy that doesnt rely on coal or oil. I think this one has a realistic chance of becoming reality in my lifetime. :)
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clean fuel, I'd be rich!
  • Options
    DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I discovered the meaning of life the other night, but by the time my wife woke me slapping me around the head and shouting what time did you call that last night you drunken slob I'd forgotten it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Enough food to feed the entire world.

I think that there IS enough food to feed the entire world, it's outrageous that there are so many obese people in the UK who stuff themselves to death whilst watching reports about the starving in other parts of our planet. It should be about distribution and self control by those who live in an affluent society.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of discovery, if some of our clients could find their arse with both hands, that would do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zero Calorie Chocolate
  • Options
    Welsh_RabbitWelsh_Rabbit Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time Travel by far,
    adopter wrote: »
    God.

plus we can go back and see how the world was made all those millions of years ago. Finally get some evidence. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To discover the tree that grows money!
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possible - Cold Fusion

Bit harder - Time Travel

I suspect (as a layman) cold fusion may be worked out before too long. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was 'discovered' shortly before the announcment giving a date that the oil will run out.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    A pill to cure obesity. That would save the NHS lots of money
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    it's outrageous that there are so many obese people in the UK who stuff themselves to death...

They're not obese because they stuff themselves. It's their glands, they have a medical problem, it's a psychological thing, <insert own pathetic excuse here>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    A pill to cure obesity. That would save the NHS lots of money

I think there's a lot of research into this, looking at leptin & that sort of thing. Definitely a realistic chance of achieving this in my lifetime. :) of course it could be easier to tackle this problem through behaviour modification.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time Travel by far,

plus we can go back and see how the world was made all those millions of years ago. Finally get some evidence. :)

You might meet God :eek:

Another good thing about time travel is being able to solve historical mysteries & know what really happened. And... Forward time travel to experience the future :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're not obese because they stuff themselves. It's their glands, they have a medical problem, it's a psychological thing, <insert own pathetic excuse here>

.... but you're right of course! It's glandular, slow metabolism and nothing to do with the fact that they feed their faces, live on MaccyDs and Pizza Hut, that they're too fat and idle to cook decent food and survive on fast food, crisps and chocolate. A medical condition indeed - one that's known as acute idleitis and gluttony. Shame on them.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I want to discover an amulet of some sort that can freeze time ...

Think I saw a kids programme about it years ago but cant remember it years ago ....

You'd just freeze it whenever you want, and then resume whenever ... some much could be achieved by using this device, be it for helping the needy or for more pervy purposes !!
  • Options
    Welsh_RabbitWelsh_Rabbit Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

Think I saw a kids programme about it years ago but cant remember it years ago ....

You'd just freeze it whenever you want, and then resume whenever ... some much could be achieved by using this device, be it for helping the needy or for more pervy purposes !!

BERNARD! :D
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Time travel for me too. I don't think we'll ever truly know what it was like to live in far bygone eras unless we invent time travel one day, we would learn a lot from it. It would also be interesting to visit the far future and see how the world turns out in many years from now. Not to mention all the big historical events we could witness.

On a more selfless level I would love to be the discoverer of the cure for cancer or AIDS. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

'Suspended animation' :) Was it a cartoon?