Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    As glad as I am at the return of Room 101 in any form, why did they have to bring it back as a panel show???

Frank Skinner is a superb host, no changes needed there.

But the existing format was fine. One celebrity a week, usually with a really great list of angry dislikes, many memorable ones but the John Peel one has to be my favourite. Much more focus and effort went into each subject and it was far less watered down.

One of the main hooks was that it was one solitary persons grumpy dislikes. As soon as you make it more than one person you have completely spoiled that dynamic.

I'm sure this has all been said already, but I thought I'd echo that view if it has.

Maybe the BBC will see sense and revert back to the old format. It's not supposed to be a damn Buzzcocks, 8 out of 10 cats, mock the week type show, so why do this?

The extra storage edition is even worse. As if the edited show isn't boring enough, we get 10 minutes of material that was too dull even for that show.

There were some real uncomfortable silences during this weeks show, some terrible misfires. This format isn't working.
    I agree that with a single guest there is more indepth discussion about the items and reasons. Also some good clips to go along with them.
    On that subject, i'm sure the same sneezing public information film has been on Room 101 previously.
    At some points it was almost a mini chat show, especially the Merton version.

Not sure what the obsession with panel shows is. Do they think the public can't last 30 minutes with a one on one? Do they think that people need more variety and if they spot one of the three guests that they like they will tune in?

I usually like the extra bits in shows such as HIGNFY and Cats.
    I think one of the problems with this show is that it is now pre-watershed.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the old version and I try to enjoy this but it just doesn't work for me. Frank Skinner's comedy also seems a bit on the dated side too.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola_T wrote: »
    The format, according to the audience figures is working fine. You're just hankering for the old one.

It's much better with three people, even if they all from the 'BBC stable'.

Most weeks there is someone who I can't stand like Jo Brand last week, Jack Whitehall, Hugh Dennis etc previously. With three you can just mentally blank them out, it they were the only person on then I would quite likely switch off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Most weeks there is someone who I can't stand like Jo Brand last week, Jack Whitehall, Hugh Dennis etc previously. With three you can just mentally blank them out, it they were the only person on then I would quite likely switch off.

I think if they had one guest a week they would ensure a better standard of guest. I think because of the current format some of the guests are just there filling space.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrible hideous awful revamp of the format. The original was superior because there were SOOO many more laughs since each segment was given WAY more time and delved into much much more.

B*ll*cks BBC. Thanks for ruining what was a must watch for me - now an 'i dont care either way.'
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    Those were questions. So answer the questions.

Why shouldn't I drive in a lane that has been stripped from the countryside and paved over? It's got to be some UK convention, eh? Because over here (US) when we go to the trouble and cost of adding a lane to a road it's for moving more traffic. The only lane we would tend to try and move out of is the enter/exit lane on high/freeways which is the rightmost lane.

Hi there, my husband is a coach driver and does see a lot of bad driving in the uk and other countries. Hogging the middle lane on the motorway does happen a lot. Moving over to the first lane would make the traffic move more easily. But then again you do get cars that come onto the motorway and straight away move over onto lane 3 without signalling...
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    Hi there, my husband is a coach driver and does see a lot of bad driving in the uk and other countries. Hogging the middle lane on the motorway does happen a lot. Moving over to the first lane would make the traffic move more easily. But then again you do get cars that come onto the motorway and straight away move over onto lane 3 without signalling...

Okay... I still don't get it.

Hogging it from who? If no one is "supposed" to drive there then who are you hogging it from? And who is the hog? The people who insist that everyone stay out of it so they can do what they want to (which is seemingly to stay out of it themselves) with it? Who "owns" the middle lane? The "hogs"? Or those that want the "hogs" to stay out of it?

It's bizarre. Is it really the case that y'all* have 3 lane roads and have decided only 1 of them is for traffic?

Oh, and I'm glad I saw the Extra episode! The "people that don't know the difference between wasps and bees" was right up there with shoelaces, sneezing and middle lanes**. :D

*American! **Complaining about a BBC program! ;)
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terrible hideous awful revamp of the format. The original was superior because there were SOOO many more laughs since each segment was given WAY more time and delved into much much more.

B*ll*cks BBC. Thanks for ruining what was a must watch for me - now an 'i dont care either way.'

I think this is the best revamp of a show ever. Much more entertaining now.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well then, let me explain in less aggressive terms.

In the US, it is normal to stay in one lane, with faster moving traffic overtaking on either side.

In the UK it is illegal to overtake on the inside, which is why traffic in the inside lane in order to obey the law has to cross two lanes to the outside lane to pass someone hogging the middle lane. And, yes, I use the word "hogging" advisedly - they are inconveniencing other traffic that wishes to pass.

I hope that is clearer.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    ...In the UK it is illegal to overtake on the inside, which is why traffic in the inside lane in order to obey the law has to cross two lanes to the outside lane to pass someone hogging the middle lane. And, yes, I use the word "hogging" advisedly - they are inconveniencing other traffic that wishes to pass. ..

The Highway Code uses "do not", that means there is no specific law to prevent you overtaking on the nearside but it is not recommended and could lead to a prosecution for a Section 3 'driving without due care and attention and driving without reasonable consideration on a road or public place' or even dangerous driving. But it is not actually illegal and there are cases where you are allowed to do it.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, then this seems to me to honestly be a case of, yes, the MLDs are obnoxious...

But! the real problem is the system is wack*. Inside, nearside, farside, outside; must not, do not, legal, illegal, not recommended, ambiguity in the law; 3 lanes, only one of which is for actual traffic.

Anyway I've got some idea now of where the problems lie, so thanks.

*American here again! Irish blood in me too! Daring to speak about UK things! (this is for our bigoted friend {hiya dere, pal!}) ;)
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would love to see karl pilkington on this
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=OpEd;64341310Hogging it from who? If no one is "supposed" to drive there then who are you hogging it from?[/quote]In the UK, the middle lane is an over-taking lane. You use it to over take vehicles in the left lane. The same is true of the right lane; it's for over-taking vehicles in the middle lane. You are supposed to move back into the left lane when it is safe to do so. Sometimes the left lane becomes full of slow-moving vehicles, and then it's OK to stay in the middle lane.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hogging it from who? If no one is "supposed" to drive there then who are you hogging it from? And who is the hog? The people who insist that everyone stay out of it so they can do what they want to (which is seemingly to stay out of it themselves) with it? Who "owns" the middle lane? The "hogs"? Or those that want the "hogs" to stay out of it?

It's bizarre. Is it really the case that y'all* have 3 lane roads and have decided only 1 of them is for traffic?

Oh, and I'm glad I saw the Extra episode! The "people that don't know the difference between wasps and bees" was right up there with shoelaces, sneezing and middle lanes**. :D

*American! **Complaining about a BBC program! ;)
    Oh controversial remember you are not paying for the BBC like myself it may offend some people.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I have been enjoying this series so far and I quite like Frank Skinner's input. The only thing that annoys me is that you can usually guess which choice will get into Room 101, at least one from each guest.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless i've overlooked it,there doesn't seem to be an extended edition of tomorrow nights episode.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers degsyhufc :)
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    I think this is the best revamp of a show ever. Much more entertaining now.

I prefer the 3 guests version too. And as usual the usual suspects are labouring a point to boredom. Give it a f*****g rest arguing over driving in the middle lane. :yawn:
  • ZaichikZaichik Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I may be accused of being a middle lane hogger. I get so sick of having to zig zag past lorries and caravans in the left hand lane (especially when volume and speed of other traffic makes it hard to actually get into the middle lane) that I quite often just join everyone else and stay there once I manage to find a gap. Obviously, if there is little traffic then I stick to the left lane or move over to it when I've overtaken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheila Hancocks nose is weird, I'd put that in Room 101
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who hates fire works I totally agree with Sheila Hancock.:D But Jon Richardson was lost on me.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A so-so edition this week. Some good things chosen but just not necessarily by the right people if you get my drift.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very weak episode this week. The guests are fine people in their own right (I'm a fan of them all), but it just didn't work in combination. No chemistry between them or with Frank.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Jon Richardson seemed uneasy, coming across as miserly with his comments about hating his friends settling down, but I think CRH and Sheila Hancock were both a little unkind to him! Craig in particular thinks he can get away with being as insulting as possible as long as he attaches the word 'darling' to the end of each of his comments. I agree with Sheila about fireworks - can't bear them!