Options

Why do famous celebrities 'vigorously deny' they are gay?

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
As if there is something wrong in being gay.

That to 'vigorously deny' it has to be underlined.

Methinks they doth protect too much. No names mentioned. ;):p

Comments

• Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, why do famous celebrities get married in order to cover up their true sexual leanings???

No names mentioned. ;):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Despite what some celebrities claim, it can slow down a career. I think it's one of the reasons Luke Evans came out and then went back in when he went to Hollywood. He wants to be a leading man and as a leading man, he'll be paired with women quite a bit. For some reason, some people can't seem to separate actors from their roles. The amount of people I've heard complain about not being able to see Barney Stinson as straight because Neil Patrick Harris is gay is ridiculous. Then there's the whole "fangirl" appeal. Some women would genuinely lose interest in an actor's career if he came out. Sad, but true..

As for getting married to cover up being gay, who has done that in recent years? It's mainly all just speculation. Some people don't even realise their true feelings until later in life. I believe a woman who worked on the set of Orange is the New Black recently dumped her husband after falling for one of the female actresses and realising she's not into men. It happens.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've got no idea who you're talking about but if I was famous and straight, yet people said I was guy, I would probably vigoruously deny it too as they would be calling me a liar. It doesn't make them homophobic it means, like any normal person, they have an issue with being called a liar.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I've got no idea who you're talking about but if I was famous and straight, yet people said I was guy, I would probably vigoruously deny it too as they would be calling me a liar. It doesn't make them homophobic it means, like any normal person, they have an issue with being called a liar.

I'm not gay and have never had the slightest inclination that way, and these days and in the later decades of my life I wouldn't give a tuppeny f*ck whether or not someone thought me gay. In fact, given various approaches made to me over the years, some men obviously have.

But I do remember being more concerned that some people might think I was gay when I was in my teens and very early 20s. I just assume now that it was part of growing up when you are uncertain about a lot of things (Note to younger readers: after 50 for some odd reason most of us worry a good deal less. I know I have, and life as been a lot sweeter because of it.)

But if you are an actor or a 'personality' of some kind and your livelihood depends on how you are perceived, I can well understand how you might be concerned, for example, that the audience you are appealing to might 'go off' you if they thought you batted for your own side. But that would seem to me to be the exception rather than the rule. And generally I think increasingly folk don't give a hoot about your sexuality, though my heart goes out to gays of both sexes in their teens when they are still at the age of wanting to 'fit in'. And, of course, to gay pro football players who have to live some kind of straight macho lie. Poor sods.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissMarvel wrote: »
    Despite what some celebrities claim, it can slow down a career. I think it's one of the reasons Luke Evans came out and then went back in when he went to Hollywood. He wants to be a leading man and as a leading man, he'll be paired with women quite a bit. For some reason, some people can't seem to separate actors from their roles. The amount of people I've heard complain about not being able to see Barney Stinson as straight because Neil Patrick Harris is gay is ridiculous. Then there's the whole "fangirl" appeal. Some women would genuinely lose interest in an actor's career if he came out. Sad, but true..

As for getting married to cover up being gay, who has done that in recent years? It's mainly all just speculation. Some people don't even realise their true feelings until later in life. I believe a woman who worked on the set of Orange is the New Black recently dumped her husband after falling for one of the female actresses and realising she's not into men. It happens.

I have been watching reruns of Frasier. The guy who played Niles is gay but I totally believed he was madly in love and lust with Daphne. If they are good actors it transcends their sexual preferences. You just don't think about it. The guy who played the dad is also gay but he got his fair share of the ladies of a more mature vintage in the show and I believed in his character too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have been watching reruns of Frasier. The guy who played Niles is gay but I totally believed he was madly in love and lust with Daphne. If they are good actors it transcends their sexual preferences. You just don't think about it. The guy who played the dad is also gay but he got his fair share of the ladies of a more mature vintage in the show and I believed in his character too.

The actor who plays Bulldog is gay too and you would never know it. Quite similar to Harris, he plays a shameless woman chaser and both of them do a brilliant job.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they are denying they're gay....because they're not gay.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is Digital Spy. Every famous actor is gay on here. Even if they're married.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've often wondered this too. It's like they're ashamed or something.:confused:
  • Options
    smilliekyliesmilliekylie Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate it when obviously straight celebrities pretend to be Gay, fooling unsuspecting parties into a liaison (no names mentioned)

I've lost 3 girlfriends in situations like this and I can tell you each time it happens I wish that I wasn't a sucker for having celebrity friends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something called The Bible Belt in America and there's also something known as homophobia. So, there's that. On the other hand, there's folks like Johnny Galecki who said "I haven't really addressed those rumors because why defend yourself against something that isn't offensive?" and I think that's the best attitude to have. What goes on in their private life shouldn't matter as long as they do their job to the best of their ability.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Don't bring logic into this! Why do some people on the Internet insist on calling celebrities gay even though they have no insight into their life and no evidence of this? If someone says you are gay and you aren't, you will deny it. But of course the fantasists will insist they are protesting too much :p

Who cares what people's sexuality is anyway? I don't get the obsession on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really hate it when obviously straight celebrities pretend to be Gay, fooling unsuspecting parties into a liaison (no names mentioned)

I've lost 3 girlfriends in situations like this and I can tell you each time it happens I wish that I wasn't a sucker for having celebrity friends.

What :confused:

How can you fool someone into a liason by pretending to be interested in your own gender?
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do 'journalists' write "vigorously deny", when the person actually said "no".
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because some people can't take a simple 'no' for an answer.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

Why would it bother you if people said that your sexual preference was something that it wasn't? As long as you know what you are, that's what matters.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Why would it bother you if people said that your sexual preference was something that it wasn't? As long as you know what you are, that's what matters.

It could be seen as claiming that real relationship are being faked for publicity reason which if you cared about someone might make you angry.

Some people are more chill than others.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member

Yes but there are ways to do and not to do this. It all depends on how you word it.
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Why do people insist on trying to find out other peoples sexual orientation? Why does anyone owe any answers to strangers about their sexuality?
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Why do 'journalists' write "vigorously deny", when the person actually said "no".

It sounds more dramatic, they are after all trying to sell a paper or magazine, if it makes the story sound better they will sell more newspapers and magazines they are just hyping it up, doing there job basically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly.

And if they are gay who's business is it??
  • Options
    dgi_mdgi_m Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Being famous is only about making money - either for you or your agent - nothing else.

The pink pound is not as strong as little girl's pocket money, or horny housewife's spare cash.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    MissMarvel wrote: »

Who is Luke Evans?
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    There's something called The Bible Belt in America and there's also something known as homophobia. So, there's that. On the other hand, there's folks like Johnny Galecki who said "I haven't really addressed those rumors because why defend yourself against something that isn't offensive?" and I think that's the best attitude to have. What goes on in their private life shouldn't matter as long as they do their job to the best of their ability.

Didn't actor Rupert Davis (??) say it had been a mistake to admit he was gay as he made a few movies in Hollywood and then the work dried up. He was constantly cast as the "gay friend"!! Never the leading man. I think the USA is very conservative compared to Europe about this topic. I can well understand how a young actor who wants a successful career, would keep it secret.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Who is Luke Evans?

Welsh actor from the Hobbit movies and now he's playing Dracula in Dracula Untold. He started doing big movies the same year one of his female friends claimed they were together.