iPhone question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
Forum Member
My OH has just got an iphone on PAYG. She has loaded up a few of the free apps, Facebook, Skynews, Tv guide, Shazam, noughts & crosses and snakes and ladders, but over the course of the day there's been quite a few pounds taken off her credit.

She's got the wifi bolt on, which starts next month, I'm just wondering whether these free apps have to access the internet to work.

She also signed up to mobile message alerts on facebook but i've since stopped them wondering whether they were taking credit off the balance.

Would appreciate it of someone could shed some light on the cause of the problem.

Many thanks

Comments

• paulbeattie87paulbeattie87 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The WiFi bolt-on is only useful when you're in a BT Openzone or The Cloud hotspot not at home. Make sure the iPhone is connected to your home wireless. It might be connecting via the mobile network to transfer data which would explain the reduction in credit. Apps can't credit the bill held with the mobile network operator whether that be contract or PAYG.

Most apps are just a front end for a webservice, FaceBook is FaceBook, Sky News is sky.com/news, Shazam have their song recognition service, TV Guide will be something like Yahoo TV Guide.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Yes, the Apps connect to the internet when you use them. Hence her credit being used up.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to download the apps she would have had to connect to the apps store which requires an internet connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much all of the iPhone features at some point require the Internet. I thought PAYG iPhones came with a year's internet?

I've never noticed as I'm on contract.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    We downloaded the apps through my laptop itunes, but we have noticed that when she goes on some apps it takes money off then a few mins later she checks her balance again there's money added back on. It's all strange and confusing.
  • *angeldelight**angeldelight* Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    What happens with PAYG after a year of free internet usage?

Take it you get a monthly charge?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens with PAYG after a year of free internet usage?

Take it you get a monthly charge?
    You add the Web & Wi-Fi bolt-on for £10 per month.
  • paulbeattie87paulbeattie87 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We downloaded the apps through my laptop itunes, but we have noticed that when she goes on some apps it takes money off then a few mins later she checks her balance again there's money added back on. It's all strange and confusing.

The best option in that case would be to call o2 customer services and see what they're saying. Most folks like myself are on contract with the iPhone so don't really see such oddities.

If you have a years internet and WiFi then you shouldn't really need to worry about it, or where you download apps for that matter. When I'm at home the iPhone will use my WiFi so it is sometimes as easy to use my iPhone to download apps as it is my MacBook. Connect it up to your WiFi and see if it still happens as well, all data will be routed via WiFi if it has a connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, and it may be totally irrelevant, but has she followed the instructions at http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone3gactivation for Using iPhone with O2 Pay and Go Sim Card?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Just a thought, and it may be totally irrelevant, but has she followed the instructions at http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone3gactivation for Using iPhone with O2 Pay and Go Sim Card?

Yeah we've done that.....well the fella at the local o2 shop did....lol.

Just to answer someone's query re the wi-fi, as she's bought it off someone else and not upgraded or bought it new she doesn't get the free 1st years wi-fi, but she has changed her bolt on tarrif so she'll get free wi-fi from beginning of next month so told her not to access and internet stuff till november :)
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah we've done that.....well the fella at the local o2 shop did....lol.

Just to answer someone's query re the wi-fi, as she's bought it off someone else and not upgraded or bought it new she doesn't get the free 1st years wi-fi, but she has changed her bolt on tarrif so she'll get free wi-fi from beginning of next month so told her not to access and internet stuff till november :)
    OK be very careful here - it sounds like you may have got yourself confused. When you buy the iPhone on PAYG from O2 you get 12 months of unlimited web *AND* unlimited wifi - it's not one or the other. If she only has a choice of one or the other then she definitely should be going for the unlimited web option and not unlimited wifi. The iPhone will use mobile web data an awful lot, whereas it will only benefit from the wifi bolt on when it is connected to the cloud or openzone hotspots - and I for most people that probably won't be that much at all (in two years of having iPhones I think I've used those hotspots no more than two or three times). Remember you don't need the wifi bolt on to access your own wifi at home for example - that's yours already!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon69c wrote: »
    OK be very careful here - it sounds like you may have got yourself confused. When you buy the iPhone on PAYG from O2 you get 12 months of unlimited web *AND* unlimited wifi - it's not one or the other. If she only has a choice of one or the other then she definitely should be going for the unlimited web option and not unlimited wifi. The iPhone will use mobile web data an awful lot, whereas it will only benefit from the wifi bolt on when it is connected to the cloud or openzone hotspots - and I for most people that probably won't be that much at all (in two years of having iPhones I think I've used those hotspots no more than two or three times). Remember you don't need the wifi bolt on to access your own wifi at home for example - that's yours already!

http://www.o2.co.uk/explore/tariffs/boltons/paygoboltons/o2webwifi says:

If you're using an iPhone with a Pay & Go SIM card, you can add the O2 Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On for just £10 a month for unlimited internet and Wi-Fi access*. Then you can surf to your hearts content.

To set up O2 Web & Wi-Fi call 2425 free of charge from your Pay & Go mobile phone. Or, text www to 21300 free of charge.

*Data usage whilst roaming not included. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 7,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud and BT Openzone.

It sounds like that's what the OP's OH is getting, as long as she's set it up correctly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have got the unlimited web and wi-fi bolt on for £10 a month which starts in November?

If that is the case then you need to be very careful between now and November otherwise you are going to go through your credit like running water. Most of those apps use the internet, so I would recommend not using apps until November. I would also recommend going the Settings > General > Network > and set Data Roaming to OFF. Also if you have set up email go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > make sure Push is OFF and Fetch Manually. When you get unlimited web and wi-fi up and running in November then you can turn all this stuff back on and use any apps you wish without going through credit. These are also useful tips to keep in mind if you ever travel abroad as the unlimited web bolt-on does not apply abroad.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyussmondo wrote: »
    If that is the case then you need to be very careful between now and November otherwise you are going to go through your credit like running water. Most of those apps use the internet, so I would recommend not using apps until November. I would also recommend going the Settings > General > Network > and set Data Roaming to OFF. Also if you have set up email go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > make sure Push is OFF and Fetch Manually. When you get unlimited web and wi-fi up and running in November then you can turn all this stuff back on and use any apps you wish without going through credit. These are also useful tips to keep in mind if you ever travel abroad as the unlimited web bolt-on does not apply abroad.

"Data Roaming" only matters when abroad (i.e. when roaming). I wouldn't bother turning it back on though when the Web & WiFi is up & running.