Options

Woman commits suicide by jumping off world's tallest building in Dubai

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"A HEARTBROKEN woman committed suicide by jumping from the 148th floor of the world’s talent building after a relationship with her wealthy boyfriend turned sour.

Laura Vanessa Nunes, 39, ended her life by leaping from an observation deck at the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

Laura’s devastated mum is now speaking out about the tragedy after news about the suicide was reportedly supressed by Emirate authorities, where public information is tightly controlled.

Leona Sykes, from South Africa, travelled to Dubai to seek answers about her daughter's death, which happened last November, the Mail Online reports.

Ms Sykes told the Mail Online that she couldn't believe how easily her daughter could jump from the building, which is a major tourist attraction with supposedly modern safety features."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/heartbroken-woman-leaps-death-148th-5719575

I've never been to Dubai or this building but how on earth is it possible for someone to jump from the observation deck?

R.I.P Leona

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never been to Dubai or this building but how on earth is it possible for someone to jump from the observation deck?

R.I.P Leona

Like this:
    shows Ms Nunes slipping through a small gap designed to allow tourists to look out and take photographs.

Poor cow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would she have killed herself elswhere if there hadn't been that gap to slip through?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they do say the extreme always makes an impression
    About a 6-inch crater.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Like this:

Poor cow.

I think that gap needs boarded up ASAP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Poor lass and parents.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    What an appallingly horrible way to die. I can't imagine what she was thinking when she jumped, and worst of all, to imagine that she would have been falling for some time, possibly conscious for at least part of that time and realising there was no going back must have been terrible.

The poor woman. It's so saddening to read.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an appallingly horrible way to die. I can't imagine what she was thinking when she jumped, and worst of all, to imagine that she would have been falling for some time, possibly conscious for at least part of that time and realising there was no going back must have been terrible.

She will have been conscious all the way down - skydivers are. :(

Poor, poor woman.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sad and shocking for those dealing with the aftermath.
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the Burj recently, so it would have been after this had happened. I'm genuinely surprised that anyone could get out the gaps. The gaps alternate between 2 heights around, and I just managed to fit my hands and DSLR through the gap! It generally seems to always be busy - you have to book tickets days in advance.
    There did seem to be a number of staff out on the deck though, although over half of them were taking photos for you to buy!

Why someone would chose such a public spot, I don't know. Was she hoping she'd be stopped? There are enough tall buildings in Dubai if you wanted to end your life. I can't imagine how she felt to be in such a state of mind to do this :(.

I feel for her, her family, and anyone who witnessed this
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she must have made a horrible mess
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member

All suicides are horrible and scary but I always wonder what goes through their minds as they are falling. Are they happy? I always think they'd be full of regret and fear and unable to stop it knowing they are about to die but if that's what they truly want then maybe it's happiness? I just think that as they fall they might think realise and think "shit l, I do actually value and want to keep my life":(:(
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will have been conscious all the way down - skydivers are. :(

Poor, poor woman.

I've read in this situation you can lose consciousness, but nowt to do with oxygen, something about knowing for certain you're going to die (which is where it differs for skydivers), your brain shuts down through fear and I think preparation. Because your body has more chance of surviving a fall when it's in a relaxed state.

Regardless, so sad. Poor woman.
  • Options
    Katrina_WoodsKatrina_Woods Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    A few years ago myself and my daughter were walking into my flat on New Years Morning when a body of a male landed at our feet. He jumped from the 18th floor. Was shocking as we had to go over the incident many times with the CID. Both of us just ran like the wind to safety across the road till the police came. One of the policemen was a very young chap who quickly vomited while trying to tape off the scene.
  • Options
    rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    That would have made a hell of a mess.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »
    I've read in this situation you can lose consciousness, but nowt to do with oxygen, something about knowing for certain you're going to die (which is where it differs for skydivers), your brain shuts down through fear and I think preparation. Because your body has more chance of surviving a fall when it's in a relaxed state.

Regardless, so sad. Poor woman.

I do hope so. That poor woman. I hope in some way she found peace in her final moments.

Also, for those who witnessed it, I hope they can come to terms with it.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wiki:
    Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (i.e., face down) free-fall position is about 195 km/h (122 mph or 54 m/s.)

15 seconds max? If she jumped from the tip of the spire (828m) but:
    Wiki:
    "As part of a study which reveals the unnecessary "vanity space" added to the top of the world's tallest buildings by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), it was revealed that without its 244-metre spire, the 828-metre Burj Khalifa would drop to a substantially smaller 585-metre height"
    11 seconds max.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Seems kinda selfish to me.

I mean, if you're determined to top yourself, have at it but don't do it in a manner where it's possible that you'll kill others if you land on them or bring a roof down when you crash through it or, at the very least, create a spectacle that's likely to haunt bystanders for the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

I mean, if you're determined to top yourself, have at it but don't do it in a manner where it's possible that you'll kill others if you land on them or bring a roof down when you crash through it or, at the very least, create a spectacle that's likely to haunt bystanders for the rest of their lives.

That sort of stuff always occurred to me too. Some methods endanger others. The thought of some kid finding your body and then being traumatised is another. The certainty of hurting your own family. Younger members always wondering if they would be destined to go the same way. Older ones feeling guilty unnecessarily.

The human brain is a delicate organ. There but for the grace of God go all of us.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This part is not good at all;
    Now Ms Sykes fears that clues about her daughter's decision to end her own life may have gone missing after a BlackBerry mobile phone recovered from Ms Nunes' body was returned to her mother without its SIM card or memory card.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago myself and my daughter were walking into my flat on New Years Morning when a body of a male landed at our feet. He jumped from the 18th floor. Was shocking as we had to go over the incident many times with the CID. Both of us just ran like the wind to safety across the road till the police came. One of the policemen was a very young chap who quickly vomited while trying to tape off the scene.
    This reminded me of Google Images. I've found you have to be extremely careful with that otherwise you may end up seeing something you did not expect when scrolling down.

The other evening i was looking at photos of the twin towers just as they were hit. Then scrolling down at more images of the building, suddenly photo's of those who had jumped were on there.

This sort of thing has happened before when i was searching images of a Syrian military airbase which ISIS had took. Next thing there's images of decapitated heads on the damn screen....yet all i'd keyed in to search was images of a bloody airbase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't think rationally when your in that mind set you just want desperately want the pain and suffering to be over. You just think I want to die how will I do it.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    You don't think rationally when your in that mind set you just want desperately want the pain and suffering to be over. You just think I want to die how will I do it.

None of which negates the reckless thoughlessness of her actions.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrendous.

The emotional pain she would have been in before jumping would have been unimaginable but I feel worse for those she left behind, especially her poor mother who must be inconsolable.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's a gross misconception that people who kill themsevles are selfish, because they are just not in the frame of mind to process that kind of thought process. All they will be thinking about is making the pain they are in stop. I don't think most people can understand unless they've experienced suicidal feelings themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a gross misconception that people who kill themsevles are selfish, because they are just not in the frame of mind to process that kind of thought process. All they will be thinking about is making the pain they are in stop. I don't think most people can understand unless they've experienced suicidal feelings themselves.

I have been in that situation a few times and this is exactly how it is.