Surrond Sound System

Hi, i have Sky HD, a 42 inch 1080i HD TV, and im wondering whats the best surrond system on the market, approx spending about £300 to £500, and either 3.1 or 5.1.

and is thier decent HD surrond sound systems on the market? :)

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you have Sky HD and they broadcast in DD5.1 (certain channels) would recommend you go for a full 5.1 system.

If you can stretch to the higher end of your £500 budget you should be able to get a very reasonable 5.1 system.

Something like the Denon AVR1507 and Tannoy EFX 5.1 speaker package. There's even an online retailer including a pair of free EFX stands. The speaker cable supplied with the speakers isn't up too much, you will have enough left to replace this and purchase any other cables you need with change to spare.

Try and avoid the 'all in one systems'. Many are not good value for money, they have poor sound, limited connections for external equipment and they are just about impossible to upgrade.

Tannoy EFX5.1 + Stands

Denon AVR1507
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    The Sony SF1000 or SS1000 would do the job. It has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, plus optical input from the HD box.
    You can then add a DVD player of your choice, upscaler or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. I use mine with an upscaler for now, then once Blu-Ray/HD-DVD has calmed down I can just upgrade the DVD.
    It only needs one cable up to the TV, keeps things nice and tidy.
    You should be able to pick up the SS1000 for under £250.00 and the SF1000 for around £300. The SF1000 has speakers on stands and the SS1000 are book shelf speakers.