The Arbor

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
Forum Member
I'm really looking forward to seeing this film but I haven't a clue when it is due to be released. Does anyone on here know anything about the release date?

Comments

• sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere that it is due to be released in September, although I can't remember for certain.

I'm also really looking forward to this. I recently re-read the original Royal Court script of "Rita, Sue and Bob Too" which is still powerful, even twenty odd years on, and far better than the sanitised film screenplay. Andrea Dunbar had one hell of a gift
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    saw The Arbor at the Hyde Park Picture House, Leeds last weekend. It's a very powerful movie, much of it focuses on the tragic story of Andrea Dunbar's daughter, Lorraine, and her baby son Harris.

think the film is on very restricted release, it's on in Bradford at the film theatre

hth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    we only have the one art house cinema here in Brum, I asked them if they would be showing it and they said no, looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD. :mad:
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's it about ?
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »
    we only have the one art house cinema here in Brum, I asked them if they would be showing it and they said no, looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD. :mad:

WTF//:eek: Brum's supposed to be Britain's second city isn't it!? anyone would think they're just a bunch of philistines ;)

@ Virgil Tracy - it's based on the life of Bradford playwright Andrea Dunbar, best known for Rita, Sue and Bob Too
    Forum Member
    teacup333 wrote: »
    WTF//:eek: Brum's supposed to be Britain's second city isn't it!? anyone would think they're just a bunch of philistines ;)

LOL, they're annual bid for Capital of Culture usually raises a smile.
    Forum Member
    finally got around to getting me a copy yesterday. Definitely one of the best films I've seen this year but god, it's grim.

It was a nice touch putting George Costigan (Bob) in there too, I guess he would have experienced the mighty force of nature that was Andrea Dunbar, so there was a great amount of honesty in his performance.

I just found the whole thing incredibly well done.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    what's it about ?

The life of Bradford playwright Andrea Dunbar ("Rita, Sue & Bob Too") and her family.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/oct/17/the-arbor-review
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it last night, and it wasn't as grim as I though it was going to be. I think I was well prepared for it by reading about about Andrea and Lorraine's life beforehand.
    It's difficult to tell, because it really only focuses on Andrea and Lorraine, but the rest of them seem to have turned out quite normal. It was interesting how Lorraine seemed to see her childhood differently from her other siblings. Maybe Andrea really did treat her differently because she was mixed race, but maybe Lorraine was just trying to come up with a retrospective excuse for which she did to her son, because that really was awful. Lorraine didn't mention it in the film, but at the inquest the coroner said that he had been taking methadone regularly for at least four months before he died, and the only way that could have happened was if Lorraine was giving it to him.
    But the childhood thing - I suppose that was one of the points of the film. Often you never actually find out the definitive truth, only different versions of it.
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    I saw it last night, and it wasn't as grim as I though it was going to be. I think I was well prepared for it by reading about about Andrea and Lorraine's life beforehand.
    It's difficult to tell, because it really only focuses on Andrea and Lorraine, but the rest of them seem to have turned out quite normal. It was interesting how Lorraine seemed to see her childhood differently from her other siblings. Maybe Andrea really did treat her differently because she was mixed race, but maybe Lorraine was just trying to come up with a retrospective excuse for which she did to her son, because that really was awful. Lorraine didn't mention it in the film, but at the inquest the coroner said that he had been taking methadone regularly for at least four months before he died, and the only way that could have happened was if Lorraine was giving it to him.
    But the childhood thing - I suppose that was one of the points of the film. Often you never actually find out the definitive truth, only different versions of it.

I loved how the director constructed the film around those real accounts. Like you say, there's no definitive truth what you are left with are peoples perceptions of the truth - and it's that exploration of the verbal account, and those variations of the 'truth' that is central to the film.