Nexus 5

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
Forum Member
✭✭
Haven't seen a topic on this, although the rumours now appear to be coming thicker and faster than ever before. My current handset (a HTC Desire S, cracked screen, just celebrated it's 2nd birthday) is well and truly on the blink, and I'm hoping it can see me through another 6 weeks or so.

After initial excitement that the FCC filing for a new LG device could potentially be the new Nexus phone, followed by denials that this was the case, it now seems we've come full circle with it all but confirmed that it will be the long awaited upgrade to the hugely successful Nexus 4.

With specs suggesting a 5 inch screen, phone dimensions practically identical (slightly smaller than for pendants) to the last model, and a 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800, and a speculated 3GB of RAM, it looks like it's going to be a well spec'd phone once again.

I thought now would be an apt time to start a thread to follow the month up to it's release, with all speculation and news that comes up!

As a side topic, following apple showing a complete inability to understand what constitutes a 'budget smart phone' will google be able to remember, what price point do you think the phone will hit the market?

What price will the Nexus 5 (16GB) enter the market 46 votes

< £289
23% 11 votes
£289
19% 9 votes
£290-£329
28% 13 votes
>£330
28% 13 votes

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I think it will be released at the same price point as the N4 was.

The reason why i think this is that if it were significantly higher there would not have been a need to offer such a heavy discount on the N4 as they would have been able to sell them in parallel.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

The reason why i think this is that if it were significantly higher there would not have been a need to offer such a heavy discount on the N4 as they would have been able to sell them in parallel.

Yeah I agree with this.
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

Should I get the htc one or wait for the nexus?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »

Personally I would wait for the N5 as it will be cheaper and better specced but the HTC One is a great phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Personally I would wait for the N5 as it will be cheaper and better specced but the HTC One is a great phone.

Hmm
    But the next phone I will have will be on a 2 year contact. Is the nexus good enough to have for two years
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm
    But the next phone I will have will be on a 2 year contact. Is the nexus good enough to have for two years

Until it is released we won't know. However it will be supported for two years guaranteed. Still I would not get the new Nexus on a contract. Just buy it and go either simply only or payg. .
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

Dunno. It's a personal decision.

Myself I'll probably get the nexus.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a Nexus on contract. If the 5 is as cheap as the 4, then you'd be silly to buy it on a contract, because that will make it more expensive in the long term.

The thing to do with the Nexus is pay for the phone outright and then get a cheaper SIM only contract.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be called the Nexus 4 still as the display is rumoured to be 4.96".

It will probably follow the trend of the Nexus 7 (2013) and be slightly more expensive than its predecessor but not by much.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't buy a Nexus on contract. If the 5 is as cheap as the 4, then you'd be silly to buy it on a contract, because that will make it more expensive in the long term.

The thing to do with the Nexus is pay for the phone outright and then get a cheaper SIM only contract.

I totally agree. The real point of the Nexus is to break away from silly 24 month contracts where the network holds all the aces (for instance the constant changing of T&Cs and the annual just below inflation price increases). The Nexus is Google's way of saying b*lls to all that malarkey. Buy the phone outright (cheaply from them because I suspect they aren't making a retailer mark up) then team up with one of the plethora of superb value SIM deals, many of which ask for just a 30 day commitment. It makes perfect sense to me.

PS Forgot to say. Yes, as I said when Google slashed the price of the outgoing Nexus 4 by such a huge amount, I reckon the Nexus 5 will be coming in at the same price as its predecessor. Which will be a killer price for the rumoured spec.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any credible rumours of specs?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Depends what you would call credible, I guess. But it obviously will be an upgrade on the Nexus 4. Unless they decide to simply clothe the Nexus 4 in plastic and call it a Nexus 4c. :D
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 4c, more like ;)

I'll be seriously considering the Nexus 5 (or whatever it ends up being called) if:

a) it has a much better camera than the N4;
    b) it comes with any of the cool features "borrowed" from the Moto X (but then they'll be a standard part of Android 4.4 and hence coming to the N4 anyway);
    c) it has a much better battery; or
    d) it has a noticeably bigger screen without being noticeably bigger itself.

Faster processors or more RAM I'm not too fussed about because, frankly, my N4 still runs like a lightning bolt. "Upgrading" just for a snazzier processor (I know the Snapdragon 800 is rumoured) just won't be an upgrade, to be honest - it already responds pretty much instantly to whatever I ask it to do. The Nexus 4 was unquestionably an upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus, so an upgrade was inevitable there. If the Nexus 5 isn't a marked improvement, I may well be sticking with the N4 - and that will be a compliment to the quality of the N4 rather than a critism of the N5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nexus 4c, more like ;)

I'll be seriously considering the Nexus 5 (or whatever it ends up being called) if:

a) it has a much better camera than the N4;
    b) it comes with any of the cool features "borrowed" from the Moto X (but then they'll be a standard part of Android 4.4 and hence coming to the N4 anyway);
    c) it has a much better battery; or
    d) it has a noticeably bigger screen without being noticeably bigger itself.

Faster processors or more RAM I'm not too fussed about because, frankly, my N4 still runs like a lightning bolt. "Upgrading" just for a snazzier processor (I know the Snapdragon 800 is rumoured) just won't be an upgrade, to be honest - it already responds pretty much instantly to whatever I ask it to do. The Nexus 4 was unquestionably an upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus, so an upgrade was inevitable there. If the Nexus 5 isn't a marked improvement, I may well be sticking with the N4 - and that will be a compliment to the quality of the N4 rather than a critism of the N5.

I agree, my biggest complaint with my N4 is the camera and bettery, improve both and I will pre-order!
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly today DS have put up their review of the LG G2, which is likely the sister phone of the Nexus 5. There's no mention of battery, but other reviews have been reasonably positive about it.

We know from FCC leaks and that redacted Google video that the Nexus 5 will be with the volume and power buttons placed in "normal" placed as opposed to on the back like on the G2, but I hope they're still able to keep most of the almost bezel-less design on the N5. And the camera certainly seems to be more of a winner than the N4's, so.... let's see.

October 14th seems to be a rumoured date for announcement about KitKat and the new Nexus. Seems so far away...
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A lot of the Moto x features are in conjunction with optimised hardware, so may well work better on the N4 (2013) than last year's model, if they are part of Kit Kat....
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly today DS have put up their review of the LG G2, which is likely the sister phone of the Nexus 5. There's no mention of battery, but other reviews have been reasonably positive about it.

We know from FCC leaks and that redacted Google video that the Nexus 5 will be with the volume and power buttons placed in "normal" placed as opposed to on the back like on the G2, but I hope they're still able to keep most of the almost bezel-less design on the N5. And the camera certainly seems to be more of a winner than the N4's, so.... let's see.

October 14th seems to be a rumoured date for announcement about KitKat and the new Nexus. Seems so far away...

The DS review does say "Last, but by no means least, is LG's decision to include a massive 3,000 mAh power unit in the G2. This phone will last all day under heavy use, which is a boon for Android multi-taskers."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Until it is released we won't know. However it will be supported for two years guaranteed. Still I would not get the new Nexus on a contract. Just buy it and go either simply only or payg. .

but the phone will be like £500:eek::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

how much was the nexus4?

is the nexus even good? i heard it was a ''budget android phone"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but the phone will be like £500:eek::confused:

I doubt it, it will be under £300 like the N4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how much was the nexus4?

is the nexus even good? i heard it was a ''budget android phone"?

It was £239 if I remember correctly. The price is budget but the spec is not, it's a high end device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was £239 if I remember correctly. The price is budget but the spec is not, it's a high end device.

thats cheap:eek
    did it have expandable memory.
    also is it as good as the htc one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats cheap:eek
    did it have expandable memory.
    also is it as good as the htc one?

No but then nor does the HTC One.

The HTC One was better but then it came out after the Nexus 4 so it is to be expected, the Nexus 5 however will be better and cheaper based on pure specification.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but then nor does the HTC One.

The HTC One was better but then it came out after the Nexus 4 so it is to be expected, the Nexus 5 however will be better and cheaper based on pure specification.
    hmm interesting
    could buy the nexus 5 and go on a three ''sim only''
    i wanted amusic phone though which makes me more suited to the htc one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm interesting
    could buy the nexus 5 and go on a three ''sim only''
    i wanted amusic phone though which makes me more suited to the htc one

How so? You can buy better portable stereo speakers if that's wat you mean.