Law brought into Florida to make it illegal for the homeless to use blankets

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
Forum Member
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/florida-ordinance-makes-illegal-homeless-use-blankets/#.Uvbk09M1B20.twitter

Shocking and unjustifiable especially as Florida has had a bad winter.

Tantamount to murder is my feeling.

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose its a way to get a warm bed for the night without having to jump through hoops!

I agree though, its a preposterous law.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    disgusting.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Should try a blanket tax, getting a letter off to George and IDS tomorrow. They will be thrilled.
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/florida-ordinance-makes-illegal-homeless-use-blankets/#.Uvbk09M1B20.twitter

Shocking and unjustifiable especially as Florida has had a bad winter.

Tantamount to murder is my feeling.
    We aren't exactly perfect in this country either with it being illegal to even BE homeless in the first place, based on a 19th century law! :rolleyes:
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I suppose its a way to get a warm bed for the night without having to jump through hoops!

I agree though, its a preposterous law.

Its a law that I cannot conceive of a benign purpose for-It seems outright malicious and nasty in intent. The brutality of capitalisms social conscience.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We aren't exactly perfect in this country either with it being illegal to even BE homeless in the first place, based on a 19th century law! :rolleyes:

This law mustn't be strictly upheld then. I'd imagine there'll be quite a few homeless people in London.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member

Im not sure that I implied that we were perfect in this country?
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I would trust that source... for a start they are talking about a city ordinance rather than the entire state - the city of Pensacola. The guy who is quoted in the piece talking about this unnamed ordinance is a monk who seems to have had a history of disagreeing and causing trouble with the council... he was thrown out of their chambers one time after a free speech protest. And their city hall web site doesn't seem to mention this ordinance law at all.... bit of a suspect story...
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mayor of this city sounds like a nasty piece of work. How do people like him get into power and then able to pass laws like this?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Next week, the City Council will consider amending the City Code to remove the prohibition on the use of cover while sleeping outdoors. Over the past year, my staff and I have continued to monitor this issue. We’ve met with advocates like Nathan Monk and John Johnson. After reflecting and praying on this issue, I support the change that is currently before the Council.

http://www.cityofpensacola.com/mayor

So it seems he's letting God make his decisions for him.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the city council would prefer to see their homeless in neat little frozen parcels rather than with mismatched blankets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    The mayor of this city sounds like a nasty piece of work. How do people like him get into power and then able to pass laws like this?

I've a feeling that a lot of people in Florida will be disgusted if this law gets passed. This future law is downright spiteful and cruel. I doubt that mayor will get voted in a second time.
  • Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bunch of shitty people must be in power in America. Your right to a million mansions is sacrosanct, but the homeless can't have a blanket because you don't like looking at them. No resources to get them off the streets and on their feet? No, not in the richest country in the world, and anyway we spent all that on the banks and the wars. And what incentive will the poor have to work once you give them the absolute bare minimum? The rich already have more than the bare minimum, and many don't need to work a day, yet somehow they still have the incentive. But we all want to be them, so never mind that. And anyway, the right to have as much stuff as you like is what makes this country awesome.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    US has a long history of the nasty bits of work being elected - generally they use the fear of something
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there you go - straight from the Mayors office... this ordinance does exist but is going to be over turned. Looks like it was enacted to stop people camplng on public property... but a side-effect was that it could be enforced against the homeless... Probably not their intention so they're amending it to exempt the homeless.. I bet it was never enforced against the homeless either... but the potential was there.

http://empower.getemagination.com/t/ViewEmail/r/87D9EDE5E590F2692540EF23F30FEDED/2568C285D10806492C69F821C9DCC086
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    This law mustn't be strictly upheld then. I'd imagine there'll be quite a few homeless people in London.

It isn't enforced - I can't remember which act it is now without looking it up - Vagrancy Act I think it is

There have been numerous acts covering homelessness which whilst providing a safety net make it abundantly clear that homelessness (or rooflessness as it should be called in the context of this discussion) is something that is "legal"

Homelessness is also not exclusive to London
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if the law goes through, what will they do with homeless lawbreakers. Can' finem these people have nothing. Jail might not be so bad in the winter months 3 meals a day and a bed with blankets at the state's expense good thinking, mayor.
    And for the cost of all that, they could have afforded a homeless shelter and got some credit with the public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not sure that I implied that we were perfect in this country?
    It's for just in case anybody tries to imply that we are! ^_^
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Well there you go - straight from the Mayors office... this ordinance does exist but is going to be over turned. Looks like it was enacted to stop people camplng on public property... but a side-effect was that it could be enforced against the homeless... Probably not their intention so they're amending it to exempt the homeless

http://empower.getemagination.com/t/ViewEmail/r/87D9EDE5E590F2692540EF23F30FEDED/2568C285D10806492C69F821C9DCC086

Thank you.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has conspiracy theorist alex jones commentated on this yet ? He will be furious. Crazy Florida.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did we hear the same outrage about our politicians when Westminster Council were to pass a bylaw making it an offence to give food to homeless people, or when they went even further and introduced a ban on 'sleeping rough' in their borough?

I'm not saying it isn't an awful situation in Pensacola, but when it is happening here is the UK, in London, it does seem a little hypocritical to say "What a bunch of shitty people must be in power in America." when our leaders are just the same...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Joe* wrote: »
    Did we hear the same outrage about our politicians when Westminster Council were to pass a bylaw making it an offence to give food to homeless people, or when they went even further and introduced a ban on 'sleeping rough' in their borough?

I'm not saying it isn't an awful situation in Pensacola, but when it is happening here is the UK, in London, it does seem a little hypocritical to say "What a bunch of shitty people must be in power in America." when our leaders are just the same...
    Except they are not EXACTLY the same in terms of being shitty....
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Well there you go - straight from the Mayors office... this ordinance does exist but is going to be over turned. Looks like it was enacted to stop people camplng on public property... but a side-effect was that it could be enforced against the homeless... Probably not their intention so they're amending it to exempt the homeless.. I bet it was never enforced against the homeless either... but the potential was there.

Reading between the lines in the original link I thought it was something like that.

That dealt with who's going to clean up all the foam littering this thread? :D
  • Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll rage at things as and when they're brought to my attention. I'm not a Dragon that flies around trying to find things to fume at. But let me just put on record that Westminister Council do indeed sound like a shower of bastards. And while London might need to dial its sleaze up to get on America's level it at least looks as if it's got politicians ready to throw themselves in the general trajectory of people hate and money worship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If true, then Westminster council are absolute pigs as well. They probably wanted their streets looking oh so perfect for the tourists. It makes you sick to even think about it. The word evil springs to mind. That's what it is because even though they're not directly killing them, the homeless people would have died as a result of their cold-hearted law and the homeless. So yes, they're evil.