talkSPORT 2

DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So Tuesday 15th March is launch day for talkSPORT 2
http://radiotoday.co.uk/2016/01/date-announced-for-the-launch-of-talksport-2/

i wondor what sports rights they will have to fill their schedule ?

Comments

• Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    How long will it last before it's replaced with birdsong ?
  • AR1983AR1983 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, Golf, Football and Horseracing, plus some US sport are promised.
  • speculatorspeculator Posts: 2,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the talkRADIO press release today, talkSPORT 2 content is starting to be confirmed..

Rugby League
    Live : broadcast more than 100 Super League games over the next two years
    Magazine : Robbie Hunter Paul Show
    link >> http://talksport.com/press/talksport-and-talksport-2-announce-rights-deal-first-utility-super-league-160204183896

Rugby Union
    Live : live commentary of at least one match per round during the regular season, plus full coverage of the semi-finals and Final
    Magazine : Full Contact offering a new Monday review programme
    link>> http://talksport.com/press/talksport-2-secures-global-audio-rights-aviva-premiership-rugby-160208184047

twitter>> @talkSPORT2
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie Pauls show will be a simulcast of the show on Pulse 1. I wonder of TalkSport 2 will broadcast Super League matches on Sundays? 5 Live Sports Extra doesn't most weeks. I think it is important that TS2 has exclusive rights. People who are used to the BBC will sstick with the BBC if that is an option. Their national rugby league coverage is very good and has been for years, except for that season when they inserted pre-match interviews into commentaries.

Same goes for the rugby union. 5 Live Sports Extra has plenty of rugby union coverage, so will TS2 have exclusive matches?
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    There's a promo running on DAB now.

It listed these are some of their sports rights:

ICC World Twenty20 Cricket
    Champions League
    Horse Racing
    Premiership Rugby
    Super League
    La Liga
    ATP Masters Tennis
    Miami Masters Tennis
    Super League
    Golf
    NBA
    International Football
    Boxing
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    There's a promo running on DAB now.

It listed these are some of their sports rights:

ICC World Twenty20 Cricket
    Champions League
    Horse Racing
    Premiership Rugby
    Super League
    La Liga
    ATP Masters Tennis
    Miami Masters Tennis
    Super League
    Golf
    NBA
    International Football
    Boxing

Do you happen to know if the BBC have lost the World Twenty20 or are they sharing the rights?
    Forum Member
    The BBC announced they have rights a couple of weeks ago so they will be shared/non-exclusive.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Do you happen to know if the BBC have lost the World Twenty20 or are they sharing the rights?

I'm pretty sure this is a non-exclusive deal. talkSPORT provided commentary on a number of matches from the 2009 World Twenty20 plus the final of the 2010 event, with this not preventing BBC Radio from broadcasting their usual coverage on either occasion. It'll be a similar kind of arrangement to the one that's long been in place for football World Cups and European Championships.

Thanks for sharing that list of talkSPORT 2's rights 4-4-2. For me, the most notable (and unexpected) inclusion is the NBA. I'm wondering if they'll be doing a similar set-up to Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's NFL and MLB coverage, with studio presentation headed by someone like Nat Coombs wrapped around a simulcast of a US radio commentary. ESPN Radio provide national radio coverage of the NBA in the United States and that's of a very high standard, so I wouldn't mind hearing that on talkSPORT 2. ESPN Radio often broadcast Sunday fixtures that tip off around 8.30pm our time - carrying games in that timeslot shouldn't interfere with their coverage of either rugby code.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    The BBC announced they have rights a couple of weeks ago so they will be shared/non-exclusive.
    I'm pretty sure this is a non-exclusive deal. talkSPORT provided commentary on a number of matches from the 2009 World Twenty20 plus the final of the 2010 event, with this not preventing BBC Radio from broadcasting their usual coverage on either occasion. It'll be a similar kind of arrangement to the one that's long been in place for football World Cups and European Championships.

Thanks for sharing that list of talkSPORT 2's rights 4-4-2. For me, the most notable (and unexpected) inclusion is the NBA. I'm wondering if they'll be doing a similar set-up to Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's NFL and MLB coverage, with studio presentation headed by someone like Nat Coombs wrapped around a simulcast of a US radio commentary. ESPN Radio provide national radio coverage of the NBA in the United States and that's of a very high standard, so I wouldn't mind hearing that on talkSPORT 2. ESPN Radio often broadcast Sunday fixtures that tip off around 8.30pm our time - carrying games in that timeslot shouldn't interfere with their coverage of either rugby code.

Thanks for the info.

Can't see many listening to the cricket on talkSPORT2 when it's on the BBC. There will be ads for a start and the BBC already do an amazing job with cricket.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that list of talkSPORT 2's rights 4-4-2. For me, the most notable (and unexpected) inclusion is the NBA. I'm wondering if they'll be doing a similar set-up to Radio 5 Live Sports Extra's NFL and MLB coverage, with studio presentation headed by someone like Nat Coombs wrapped around a simulcast of a US radio commentary.

I'd definitely listen if they carried MLB commentary too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    I'd definitely listen if they carried MLB commentary too.

Same here. I'm really hopeful that talkSPORT 2 will resurrect the sort of MLB coverage Radio 5 Live Sports Extra used to provide. Fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following list is of rights I think will be exclusive.

Horse Racing
    La Liga
    NBA
    Boxing

Some horse racing may also be on the BBC but I expect TalkSport 2 will have more horse racing. TalkSport used to have horse racing commentaries that weren't on the BBC, although many in the afternoon were off-tube.

Boxing rights are usually exclusive, and the BBC usually only go for the biggest fights.

The most popular rights are shared with the BBC. It will be difficult for TalkSport 2 to persuade people to tune there for rugby league instead of the BBC. Rugby union fans may tune to TalkSport 2 for impartial commentary when the commentary on 5 Live Sports Extra is a simulcast.

Hopefully, apart from in the horse racing, sports commentaries won't feature gambling promotions. I think that puts off some listeners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any of their horse racing commentaries will be exclusive in the wider context of commentaries on most races being available via the radio services that are heard in betting shops and on bookmakers' websites. In their pre-launch press releases, there has been mention of talkSPORT 2 linking up with William Hill Sports Radio, so much of their horse racing coverage - outside of the big meetings such as the Cheltenham Festival and The Grand National where talkSPORT always does their own thing with Rupert Bell - may well be a simulcast of that.

Their boxing coverage will likely be exclusive by default, as BBC Radio 5 Live only tends to pick up rights to the very biggest fights mostly involving the most high-profile British fighters. There isn't a great deal of radio boxing coverage elsewhere, I've never come across a US radio station covering a fight live on TuneIn and it is extremely rare for BBC Local Radio to provide commentary on a fighter from their area.

I personally think Aviva Premiership rugby union is an area where talkSPORT 2 have a real chance of building a decent audience. You mention that the BBC cover a lot of rugby union, but Radio 5 Live and Sports Extra rarely cover domestic club matches and as you allude to, when they do it's typically in the form of a BBC Local Radio simulcast on 5LSE. I think their bigger competition in this area may actually come from BBC Local Radio - with many of the clubs in smaller cities or provincial areas of England being well served by their local BBC station, which unlike for most football games they are able to stream online. This might be part of the reason why when talkSPORT have broadcast Premiership games in the past, they've often gone with London-based clubs who I would argue are less well served by BBC Radio London than say Leicester Tigers, Bath and Gloucester fans are by their local stations.
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The most popular rights are shared with the BBC. It will be difficult for TalkSport 2 to persuade people to tune there for rugby league instead of the BBC. Rugby union fans may tune to TalkSport 2 for impartial commentary when the commentary on 5 Live Sports Extra is a simulcast.

The idea, at least initially, is to try and do more than 5 Live with commentaries AND other magazine programming.
  • Mark MMark M Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else struggling to understand the description of Talksport 2 as a 'prodigal son' on the test transmission loop?

A prodigal son is someone who's gone away and come back. As far as I'm aware, Talksport 2 is a brand new station that's never existed before.

It would be more suitable as a description of TalkRADIO...
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to TS2, a lot of the sports (except horse racing) are sports I'm interested in so I'm very hopeful.
  • matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I've returned my DAB radio for TS2 but there's no new channels showing. Is it too early or should a blank channel be appearing?

I know it hasn't officially launched yet but I heard the re-tune adverts over the weekend.
  • shortwaveHDshortwaveHD Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I wonder if TS2 will feature any British wrestling content?, it seems to be having something of a renaissance at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matbur wrote: »
    I've returned my DAB radio for TS2 but there's no new channels showing. Is it too early or should a blank channel be appearing?

I know it hasn't officially launched yet but I heard the re-tune adverts over the weekend.

TalkSport 2 should appear before TalkSport if you can get the Digital 2 multiplex. Other stations you may see that you didn't before include Mellow Magic and Premier Praise. Stations that are already on digital radio in some areas, such as Kisstory, Share Radio, Planet Rock, Premier, Share Radio and Absolute 80s have new test streams which you should also be able to find. If none of these appear, you may not be able to receive TalkSport 2.
    I wonder if TS2 will feature any British wrestling content?, it seems to be having something of a renaissance at the moment.

They haven't said they will, but they could, and other fighting sports too. TalkSport used to have a wrestling show, and broadcast live wrestling at least once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

talkSPORT currently do a wrestling podcast for their website. It's called Gorilla Position and is hosted by James Delow. I believe it's a weekly podcast, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets an airing once a week on talkSPORT 2 - most likely in an off-peak weekday timeslot where it wouldn't normally clash with live sport.
  • speculatorspeculator Posts: 2,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning, Russell Hargreaves announced it was his last talkSPORT Extra Time programme as he is moving down a floor and will be presenting talkSPORT 2 breakfast programme 3 days a week.
  • AR1983AR1983 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matbur wrote: »

It wouldn't show up for me until I manually tuned it.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,357
    Forum Member
    Live webstream for those outside of the DAB broadcast area. lsn.to/TS2
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark M wrote: »
    Is anyone else struggling to understand the description of Talksport 2 as a 'prodigal son' on the test transmission loop?

A prodigal son is someone who's gone away and come back. As far as I'm aware, Talksport 2 is a brand new station that's never existed before.

It would be more suitable as a description of TalkRADIO...

Prodigal means wastefully extravagant. The parable of the prodigal son is about a son who wasted his inheritance so returned home to repent his prodigal ways but is forgiven by his father who is glad to have his son back

Although even on that basis I have no idea how it makes TalkSport 2 "the prodigal son of all radio stations". Being a prodigal son is not exactly something you would boast of being.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could anyone tell me if Talksport 2 etc will be available on the Huntshaw Cross transmitter in north Devon please? I thought this would be easy to Google but I'm going around in circles trying to find a clear answer. Can find nothing by retuning at present.