Are Lauren and Joey the worst couple on the square right now?

thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Christmas day scenes were they had a chat were so embarrassing especially Lauren's "You could have chosen me and not left me in a hospital bed, broken hearted". & the whole 'hair behind the ear thing as a sign I love you' - what a load of old toot! :rolleyes:

They have little chemistry on-screen, believability or even likeability and now that their obstacle in the form of Derek is gone where are they going to go from here? I know in the NY
Lucy threatens to go to the Police
but apart from that are they just planning on finding a shack up in the mountains with all the other hill-bills. (Jokes ;) )

Just get rid of them.

Are Lauren & Joey the worst couple on the square right now? 92 votes

Yes, they are so GAWD awful.
60% 56 votes
No, I love them. How can you not see it?
39% 36 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your entitled to your opinion, but no way. I love them as a couple.
    They definitely work well and carry that emotional/sexual chemistry. They've definitely portrayed him as genuinely loving her.

I'm not sure where they go from here, I'm hoping Joey sticks around but what are the chances of him and Alice staying in the square for more than a few months?
    Unless they mum arrives.

I dont want them to to a tyler/whitney- where they're happy but just shunned to the background. But I also want happiness for them!
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say so, yes. Ray and Kim are not far behind though. And I agree, a lot of Joey and Lauren are very cringey and embarassing IMHO - the type that makes you change the channel :o.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I hate polls like this... you are either agreeing they are the absolute worst couple on the show or you are loving them. Neither of these options apply to me. I don't love them... but I don't think they are the worst either. Can we not have some middle ground?
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    They're one of the most abysmally crafted 'love stories' in the history of fiction. They went from barely speaking to each other to suddenly confessing their unbridled devotion to one another and talking about how much it hurts being apart and blah blah blah within the space of a few weeks. It's like the producers are trying to trick us into believing this is the great romance of the century without actually putting the graft in. 'If we say it enough everybody will just assume that we developed a very engrossing, passionate, poignant love affair between these two and forget that there was actually barely any build-up or real development of the storyline!!!'

Neither actor is capable enough to produce any chemistry or passion in their scenes or convey any real emotion. David Witts is barely intelligible and Jacqueline Jossa seems to shout every line and follow it up with a silly face or an over-enthusiastic shake of the head.

Both characters are unsympathetic and decidedly unlikable and there has been little shown of just what it is between these two people that has supposedly bonded them so intensely; yet we're supposed to be invested in, or even care in the slightest about, their 'love'? The only aspect we saw of their relationship was the lustful side, followed up by a couple of weeks of them suddenly expressing their undying adoration for each other and then a few more weeks of their tedious 'heartbreak' and sullen, furtive glances at each other from across the Square. No emotional exploration; no opportunity for any audience investment; nothing but rushed, cheaply written shallow schmaltz that I wouldn't expect to see in a crappy TV movie - never mind the BBCs flagship program which once drew huge acclaim for the quality of it's product. It's like one of those crappy improvisations you used to have to do in GCSE drama. I've seen better 'young love' stories in Byker Grove.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I would say so, yes. Ray and Kim are not far behind though. And I agree, a lot of Joey and Lauren are very cringey and embarassing IMHO - the type that makes you change the channel :o.

I actually think Ray and Kim just edge them out of the top spot. There is no chemistry there at all, as far as I can tell anyway. Having said that, though, I don't hate either couple...I just don't take them very seriously. :)
  • OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    I said no, not because I love them, but because I think Tyler and Whitney are without a doubt the worst.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brooklyn. wrote: »
    I actually think Ray and Kim just edge them out of the top spot. There is no chemistry there at all, as far as I can tell anyway. Having said that, though, I don't hate either couple...I just don't take them very seriously. :)

Haha yeah, they certainly are rivals for the top spot! :D
    And I agree Ray and Kim are devoid of any chemistry as a couple. They are so bad it's not even funny :o.

BIB: Agreed. Me neither.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    They're one of the most abysmally crafted 'love stories' in the history of fiction. They went from barely speaking to each other to suddenly confessing their unbridled devotion to one another and talking about how much it hurts being apart and blah blah blah within the space of a few weeks. It's like the producers are trying to trick us into believing this is the great romance of the century without actually putting the graft in. 'If we say it enough everybody will just assume that we developed a very engrossing, passionate, poignant love affair between these two and forget that there was actually barely any build-up or real development of the storyline!!!'

Neither actor is capable enough to produce any chemistry or passion in their scenes or convey any real emotion. David Witts is barely intelligible and Jacqueline Jossa seems to shout every line and follow it up with a silly face or an over-enthusiastic shake of the head.

Both characters are unsympathetic and decidedly unlikable and there has been little shown of just what it is between these two people that has supposedly bonded them so intensely; yet we're supposed to be invested in, or even care in the slightest about, their 'love'? The only aspect we saw of their relationship was the lustful side, followed up by a couple of weeks of them suddenly expressing their undying adoration for each other and then a few more weeks of their tedious 'heartbreak' and sullen, furtive glances at each other from across the Square. No emotional exploration; no opportunity for any audience investment; nothing but rushed, cheaply written shallow schmaltz that I wouldn't expect to see in a crappy TV movie - never mind the BBCs flagship program which once drew huge acclaim for the quality of it's product. It's like one of those crappy improvisations you used to have to do in GCSE drama. I've seen better 'young love' stories in Byker Grove.

Great post, felix!
    That is the major problem with Joey and Lauren - the fact that they fell in love in the space of a week despite the two barely interacting before that. It all felt so rushed and contrived. Some have said it's a case of "love at first sight", but that doesn't make sense as Joey and Lauren had known each other for a couple of months and showed no real signs of a mutual attraction, then suddenly out of the blue - they're falling madly in love with each other :confused:. Don't know who the writers were trying to convince to be honest :o.

BIB: Lol that gave me a good laugh :D.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aimee321 wrote: »
    I hate polls like this... you are either agreeing they are the absolute worst couple on the show or you are loving them. Neither of these options apply to me. I don't love them... but I don't think they are the worst either. Can we not have some middle ground?

Nope, butt off the fence please. You're taking up too much room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha :D:D.
  • NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but you know what....Joey is so frickin' hot that even if you put him with Dot there'd be sexual chemistry!!!!
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noush wrote: »
    Yeah but you know what....Joey is so frickin' hot that even if you put him with Dot there'd be sexual chemistry!!!!

Not really, David Witt's would be shown up as an actor by June Brown, he may be hot but he's really not a good actor.

As for Joey and Lauren, they have physical chemistry but the whole relationship feels rushed and contrived, they'll never be Max & Tanya. Max has five times the presence that Joey has and he doesn't need good looks to have it.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your entitled to your opinion, but no way. I love them as a couple.
    They definitely work well and carry that emotional/sexual chemistry. They've definitely portrayed him as genuinely loving her.
    !

I have to agree. Love them together.

How do you do polls by the way?
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,211
    Forum Member
    No, luv them as a couple :D the worst is Whitney and Tyler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    No, they are the best couple on EE right now with an amazing chemistry!! Some people are blind, lol!!
  • lucasade16lucasade16 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I honestly think Alfie and Roxy will be the worst, can't see any hope for their characters as a couple they are as boring as each other :L
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    100% awful id rather watch tyler and whitney than these two and thats saying something!
  • Top_TrumpsTop_Trumps Posts: 2,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they officially a couple :confused:
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Lauren clearly has some problems, especially with booze, but I'd say there may be some anger issues there as well (we could have a lengthy discussion about wether or not she is justified in those, but that is not the point, se clearly has some of those). Joey has not seen the passing out drunk, raging wih anger, capable of anyhting Lauren. He has seen her drunk driving, but she was not so hammered that it he was concerned for their safety. The lad would not risk both their lives on purpose.

At some point in the future, he is going to encounter Lauren passed out, or smashing up things, throwing up in th ekitchen sink mid-afternoon etc. Now, what is he going to make of that? Is he going to help her get through it, or just condemn her, like everyone else, up untill recently?

Will Joey have some of the streaks his father had? Will he also try to control his family, consisting of him, Lauren and Alice? He has already ran Alice's boyfriend out of town and hs not let an opportunity slide to try and convince her to go back 'home' which must be with their mother. So I see a little bit of Derek reflected there.

Then we have the question, if Max will continue to support this relationship. He did not oppose it, mainly to spite Derek, but did not seem 100% comfortable with it either. Max did have a good point saying that this was not what he had wanted for Lauren at all, but he did not want her to be unhappy either, but what if they have a fight? Now that he is no longer spiting Derek by letting happen what Derek was strongly against, Max can air his own true opinion, as will Tanya. I am not sure how she feels about it all, she has merely been caught in the blackmail-aftermath.
    And what will others make of it once it comes out? Lucy will be livid, of course, but I can see many residents being against two cousins together.

I am not certain if they are allowed to marry, but that won't stop Lauren from getting pregnant at some point. Then we have the issue of drinking during pregnancy, potential risk factors due to the parents being related, people more engrossed then they already were (I can imagine the Squre just getting used to the pair of them, no longer staring, or making remarks, then we have Lauren with a bump, highlighting the fact that they sleep together and I get the impression many people think close relatives should not be in a relatonship in the first place, but the relationship leading to a baby is the most awful thing you could possibly do).

Lauren hates Max at times, which will be difficult for Joey to stomach, as his father was far worse and is now dead, where Max is not father of the year, but not as rotten as Derek, plus he is still around. Then there is Joey's missguided guilt over his father's death, for which he clearly blames Max and Jack.

Edit: forgot to mention:
    Roxy and Alfie could be interesting, if done right. Alfie first had this girl aborting his baby behind his back, then KAt and all the cheating. Roxy is flirtatious in nature, so she won't stop being that now, causing alfie to get unreasonably jeaulous at times. That may be an interesting angle, as being married to someone like Kat, must influence your way of thinking and level of trust somehow, Alfie was assuming all sorts in the end, even if they were not true (anymore).
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Jack/ Sharon and Kim/ Ray are by far the worst...there's nothing there.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really do not suit each other at all. There is zero chemistry. Prefer him with Lucy.
  • KissesDontLieKissesDontLie Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    they're god-awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful pairing.

I really like Lauren's character though. She's a great character but I just wished she'd been given another storyline. Jacqueline is a great actress

Joey, on the other hand. Worst. Character. Ever. David is an awful actor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This epic big love affair is a big disaster! Its to rushed way to forced and so unnatural! Lauren and Joey are heartbroken torn lovers after 2 weeks of snogging give me a break! :rolleyes:

If they wanted to be taken seriously well then all of this stuff with the crash and breaking up would have happened around July-Sept time next year it would have been far more effective than it is right now!
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, on the fence, the biggest forum cliche ever. :rolleyes: